Change the 12 character limit!

Discus and support Change the 12 character limit! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I changed my gamertag about a month ago and now I have decided to go back. But when I tried to change my GT I realized that my original one was too... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by BilboSwaggins67, May 26, 2021.

1. Change the 12 character limit!

I changed my gamertag about a month ago and now I have decided to go back. But when I tried to change my GT I realized that my original one was too long for the new gamertag system. My original gamertag '' is 3 digits too long for the new system but I had this gamertag for several years and have been playing for almost 9 years so it is really disappointing that I cant go back. I hope this gets changed soon

:)

BilboSwaggins67, May 26, 2021
  2. Smwutches Win User

PC Gamertag

Since it's over 12 characters, you've changed your classic gamertag, but not you regular gamertag. You'd have to change that one, but it is limited to 12 characters.
  3. XBF Houmaidi O Win User

Hello @BilboSwaggins67!

I understand your frustration and sorry for the inconvenience. However, I don’t think the gamertag system is going change or revert back anytime soon. The Gamertag update FAQ explains why the system was updated.
  4. Daft Badger Win User

Why only 12 alphabets gamertag please change it to 16 Because my last gamertag was of 13 and now I cannot take it back

If you change your gamertag on a Xbox 360 you can still have the 15 character limit but other than that you are limited to 12 characters.
  5. Smwutches Win User

Username Character Limit

The only way to swap the names of the accounts would be to change the tag to something else and then rename then, paying each time. But you would be limited to the 12 characters when you make the change.

The 12 character limit went into place in 06/2019. It's so people can use a gamertag even if someone else is already using it. If someone else already has the tag, you would be given a suffix (# and numbers) which is why the limit was shortened. If you had
    a gamertag that was over the 12 characters prior to the change, you were not made to change it, but if you change it now you cannot go back to a 15 character tag.
  6. Daft Badger Win User

username recovery

The old limit was 15 characters so your old gamertag couldn't of been 16 characters long.

You might still be able to change to a tag with more than 12 characters if you do it on a xbox 360 console unless they've fixed that workaround but other than that then you will have to stick with the 12 character limit.
Thema:

1. Change the 12 character limit! - Similar Threads - Change character limit

2. Home Xbox questions regarding changes.

in XboX Insiders
    Home Xbox questions regarding changes.: Hi all, I have an Xbox series S at my flat (which is currently my home Xbox) and my old Xbox one at my partners place. When I made her an account on my old Xbox it wouldn’t let me play any of the...
  3. isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?

in XBoX Accessibility
    isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?: on my asus tuf dash F15 FX517zc laptop i couldn't choose colors for my keyboard bc there isn't any color in it and i couldn't connet my aura creator to it. isn't it possible to change colors of my...
  4. How can you change the "Safety settings for Xbox messages" on the Xbox app on PC?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How can you change the "Safety settings for Xbox messages" on the Xbox app on PC?: I no longer have an Xbox console. It was damaged when my basement flooded. I have been trying to play Ark: Survival Ascended and noticed that the Xbox app version for PC filters letters, making it...
  5. can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin

in XBoX on Windows
    can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin: i recently installed a new cpu and had to change my info now i have to wait a month is there a quick fix? 9357e2ba-5488-4496-b3e2-20e2a6446de1
  6. I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...: I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account) for reasons I cannot remember, but I would like to change back to the original name. But, when I try,...
  7. Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...: really strange as many accounts have above 12 characters? adbf22f4-f553-421f-b73b-1caacf7f96f3
  8. I can't change the outfit palette of my character in astroneer

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't change the outfit palette of my character in astroneer: I can't change the palette and or outfit of my character f3680522-940f-4349-b100-60bebebd6a35
  9. Is there any way to change my name back to 15 characters long?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is there any way to change my name back to 15 characters long?: My original name was the problem is i cant anymore have that name since its only 12 characters. I imagine there's no other way to do it. 0f291039-7bee-4fe3-a1df-f17560a88578
  10. Will Microsoft ever do the right thing and change the gamer tag character limit back to 15?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Will Microsoft ever do the right thing and change the gamer tag character limit back to 15?: See the title. It really bothers me that this change was made. I can never go back to most of my old GTs. It’s really really dumb. 5d2ddf6d-f466-4068-a6a5-b998c2e54d95