Captures folder and all files inside missing after capturing new video

Discus and support Captures folder and all files inside missing after capturing new video in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello I was capturing a new video and after ending the screencapture everything looked normal, there was a preview in the Capture overlay and it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ShawnCV, Nov 5, 2021.

1. ShawnCV
    ShawnCV Guest

Hello

I was capturing a new video and after ending the screencapture everything looked normal, there was a preview in the Capture overlay and it pointed me to the captures folder.

But when I navigated to the folder it was gone with all contents.

One of the folders inside the captures folder was hidden if that´s helpful.

I can still find a shortcut to the folder in my C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent directory but it´s a dead shortcut and won´t take me anywhere.

I looked around but all I find is about restoring the Captures folder and not any lost data.

Help would be much appreaciated

Best regards

Shawn

:)

ShawnCV, Nov 5, 2021
  2. MateusFontana Win User

Hello, how are you? My name is Mateus. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

First, welcome to the Xbox community. I'm sorry you're having this problem.

Unfortunately deleted files often cannot be recovered. What you can do is retrieve the old captures folder, where the videos are stored, to do this follow the instructions below.

1. Go to the start menu type" Game Bar" and open the app

2. Click on the folder icon next to capture to open the folder

3. Right-click inside the window hit properties go-to a location and then you click restore

*Thank you in advance for contacting us, if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask, it is always a pleasure to help the community.
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

How could I recreate the "Captures" folder if I accidentally deleted it?

Hi, in the temp folder, the recordings are saved inside other folder?

If yes do this instead.

Go to Windows settings > gaming > captures > open folder > drag that folder to the Videos folder in your PC.

After that try doing a new recording and you should be able to see the new recording saved there.

If that doesn't work create the Captures folder inside Videos.

Then delete the registry keys associated with the game bar :

Press Windows key+R then type regedit and press Enter.

Go to this path (expand the folders using the little ">")

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR

Once there delete all the keys except (Default), restart your PC and check if you can save the clips inside Captures
  4. Rob Salmon 445 Win User

Change Xbox Game Bar captures folder after it was changed to temp folder automatically.

To change the default location of game bar captures folder on Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

- Open Settings by pressing Windows Logo key + I.

- Click on Gaming and select Captures from the left pane.

- Click on Open folder to open the current capture folder.

- Right-click on an empty space in the folder and select Properties.

- Click on Location tab, select Move and navigate to the Captures folder that you have created inside Videos folder.

- Alternatively, you can open File Explorer, click on This PC, browse to C:Users%username%Videos, right-click the Captures folder and select Properties, click the on the Location tab, and click the Move button.

- Another option is to create a new folder named Captures inside your Videos folder in your user profile, edit the registry to set the value data on that key to %USERPROFILE%VideosCaptures, and restart your PC.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. If you could let me know if we have answered your questions or if there is anything else we can assist you with?
  5. TaoDavis Win User

Xbox App Game DVR

I have a simular issue. I accidentally deleted my "Captures" folder. And now all my captures are being saved to '\AppData\Local\Temp'

I want I created a new Captures folder in my videos, however all my screenshots and video captures are still being saved in 'Temp'
  6. Kittenflap Win User

Xbox Game DVR: Unable to find captures?

No, I am not able to access the original 'Captures' folder from the Videos folder in the C Drive as I moved it to a portable hard drive. I created a new 'Captures' folder in the C Drive, but the Game Bar doesn't want to recognize it as a new one, that's
    my issue. Is there a way to make the new folder a default location for new captures?
Thema:

1. Captures folder and all files inside missing after capturing new video - Similar Threads - Captures folder files

2. Xbox infinte capture card circle gltich

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox infinte capture card circle gltich: When is xbox gonna address the infinite circle glitch for capture!!!! c767a0d1-83fe-4a80-a554-0b941b8ace3a
  3. Xbox captures lagging real bad when playing in 1440P

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox captures lagging real bad when playing in 1440P: Some time ago i changed my display resolution to 1440P and the captures are lagging really bad I did a factory reset and i changed my capture resolution from 1080P to 720P hoping it would help...
  4. Anyone else having issues with game capture?

in XBoX on Windows
    Anyone else having issues with game capture?: I've been having issues with using game capture. I for some reason cannot record any game clips but screenshots work fine. I've tried doing a hard reset and it would help for a couple days and...
  5. Problem capturing gameplay in the new update - Series X

in XboX Insiders
    Problem capturing gameplay in the new update - Series X: Hey guys! A few weeks ago I was part of the Insider program, I was in the Omega ring (OS Version 10.0.25398.4086), and my Xbox started having problems recording, I simply couldn't start...
  6. Captures not loading

in XBoX on Windows
    Captures not loading: Captures are not loading for me to see them or upload them. 2beeb1ba-4492-4bf1-8810-064405325522
  7. Capture Saving not correctly showing correct folder for recent captures

in XBoX on Windows
    Capture Saving not correctly showing correct folder for recent captures: Last week i wanted to save my captures to my external hard drive. instead of saving them to a specific folder within the harddrive, i had them save to the entire hard drive its self. because of...
  8. I deleted the videos from the Capture Folder directly and now the gallery is bugged. Need...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I deleted the videos from the Capture Folder directly and now the gallery is bugged. Need...: I can't upload a screenshot but basically I deleted the videos from the Captures folder but it is still there in the gallery, I cannot delete it or view it , it is just there. Also, the new videos...
  9. captures folder is deleted

in XBoX Games and Apps
    captures folder is deleted: I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance with a pressing issue I am currently facing on my Windows 11 Home system. Recently, I encountered an unfortunate mishap...
  10. Change Xbox Game Bar captures folder after it was changed to temp folder automatically.

in XBoX on Windows
    Change Xbox Game Bar captures folder after it was changed to temp folder automatically.: I had put my captures folder on an external drive. After removing it and reconnecting it, the folder xbox game bar video captures get saved in has been changed to...