Can't turn on multiplayer in Minecraft, have already tried everything I can find

Discus and support Can't turn on multiplayer in Minecraft, have already tried everything I can find in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; So this question isn't actually in regards to my account- my account is perfectly fine. I'm in my 20s so age restrictions and the tangle of red tape... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Catherine Churchill, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Can't turn on multiplayer in Minecraft, have already tried everything I can find

So this question isn't actually in regards to my account- my account is perfectly fine. I'm in my 20s so age restrictions and the tangle of red tape they've become aren't a problem for me anymore, at least not directly. It's about my brother's.

See, when he first got his laptop, he was asked to make a Microsoft account. At the time, he was young enough that he was immediately told to get a parent or guardian to attach their account to his to make a "Family Account," or else he wouldn't be able to do a single thing whatsoever. Our dad stepped in and did this, and for a while, things seemed alright.

Then I got the bright idea to give my brother Minecraft as a Christmas present a month ago. The idea was that, hey, we both recently realized that Minecraft looks Fun, Actually, and it'd be nice to play together.

After the hoopla and a half that getting Minecraft on his account was- having to flag down our easily-frustrated dad so that he could open up the "payment" page, just so that I could put my card information in, then having to resign ourselves to the fact that we wouldn't be able to un-attach my card from the account- he opened up Minecraft Java Edition...and had a grayed-out, unclickable Multiplayer button.

We've tried giving him complete and total free reign of his account. No luck.

We've tried changing his age in his account. No luck.

We tried removing him entirely, but we continually received "Only the Family Account Administrator can remove accounts" while using the Family Account Administrator's account. (No screenshots of this, unfortunately. Dad refused to let me grab any, insisting "he had it, he had it.")

Only after following the instructions outlined in this post (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/cant-remove-family-member-or-delete-family-account/4ff2a803-967d-410a-99a0-172ccd5a1216) were we able to do it.

Still no luck, and now we have a completely new problem. See, we'd been under the impression that, once we got my brother's account unlinked from the Family Account that (and I cannot stress this enough) literally none of us wanted, my brother and I would be able to get into his Xbox settings and flip a switch that would let him do multiplayer activities, full stop.

We can no longer log him onto his computer or into his Microsoft account through mine. Whether it's the startup screen on his computer or the Microsoft login page online on someone else's, we consistently, without fail, get the message "Parent or guardian consent is required for this account. Based on the information provided, a parent or guardian needs to help finish setting up this account." Never mind that that was the issue we were trying to fix in the first place.

(I'm currently having trouble uploading the screenshot I have of this error message directly to this post, but it's here if you want it: https://ibb.co/rs0ZHYR)

It's been a month of frustration and we are all at our wit's end. How do we:

• Tell Microsoft to stop forcing a Family Account on us
    • Get my brother's account to work properly
    • Actually enable multiplayer on the mainly-multiplayer game he's had for a month now already.
    And if anybody responds to tell me that we just need to drop his account like a lost cause and make him a separate one, then please have clear, concise, and to-the-letter instructions for getting a refund on the copy of Minecraft that's now connected to his current account, because I really don't want to shell out money to Microsoft for multiple copies of the game in the hopes that one might possibly work when this issue is all on Microsoft to begin with. I'm done playing around with this. Microsoft is screwing up my Christmas present for my brother, and I'm on my last nerve with this hot mess of a snafu.

Sorry if I sound short-tempered. I am. I'll try to keep it reined in, but please understand if I'm a bit short. It's not intentional, I promise.

EDIT 1/27/23: Dialed back the confrontationalness of my explanation. Being angry isn't going to solve this. I've slept on this overnight, and if nobody has any ideas for me, I'm considering just adding him to a "Family Account" with me as the organizer instead of our dad, just because our dad was being stubborn and unwilling to listen to me after the first few attempts, and I had to catch him off-guard when he started talking about the previous plan we'd tried as if it were what I was talking about right then with an "exactly" before he would even try taking my brother off the account. Maybe if I just have to work through myself, I can get into nitty-gritty settings that he wouldn't look into for me. At the very least we could get my brother back into his computer.

:)

Catherine Churchill, Jan 28, 2023
  2. Jason Guer Win User

Can't turn on multiplayer in Minecraft, have already tried everything I can find

Hello Catherine Churchill

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an issue in enabling the Multiplayer of your Minecraft game wherein you tried most of the important steps to possibly correct the issue. Let’s work together in finding the best resolution to this issue.

I made research and I went to Minecraft official website to gather information to correct the issue or how to enable Multiplayer of your game. Let me refer you to this link How to Play Minecraft Multiplayer – Home. If you did all the steps from the link. Then, I will recommend contacting the Mojang support for further investigation of the issue. Contacting them would be beneficial to get an accurate and feasible ways to fix this issue for you. You may access the link below to get the support: Submit a request – Home (minecraft.net)

Hope you understand.

Regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Catherine Churchill Win User

Unfortunately (and I really should have gotten a screenshot of this before posting, that's on me) my brother's copy of Minecraft does not even let him click on the button to access Multiplayer in the first place. Where my copy shows all the buttons in the initial startup menu as clickable and usable, his Multiplayer button is simply grayed out. I'll give the instructions linked to in the article you linked to a look to see if there's anything we can try that we haven't done already, at least.
  4. Francia J. Win User

Tried everything, still can't play multiplayer minecraft

Hi, I hope you're doing great despite the issue you're experiencing. I am an Independent advisor and I am here to help you in regard to your concern.

Can you please make sure that you have an active Xbox Live Gold subscription or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate by following the steps below:

Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, and then select System > Settings > Account > Subscriptions.
  5. Redshirt1701 Win User

Minecraft realm for family, children can't login

From Minecraft/Microsoft -

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-multiplayer-server-safety

“Join Multiplayer Games” Settings
    If you have your settings set to block joining multiplayer games, you can’t join any multiplayer games in Minecraft, including shared local worlds, Realms or servers. To enable multiplayer in Minecraft, make sure this setting is set to ‘Allow.’

However, just like ASCllnaut, that setting was already turned on for my children. In other words I'm in the same boat, we can play on the LAN but not on a realm.
  6. Ishka Baha Win User

I have tried EVERYTHING!!!

thanks for the suggestion, I contacted ISP they were no help either, I got hooked to the network but am having a DNS failure, used military DNS still didnt work...
Thema:

1. Can't turn on multiplayer in Minecraft, have already tried everything I can find - Similar Threads - Can't turn multiplayer

2. Can't turn screen time off

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't turn screen time off: Hi, I need help, because its driving me insane. I have logged into my microsoft account on my new laptop, and for some reason it has a screen time on it. I cant use the device after 22:00 until...
  3. Can't turn RTX on in Doom Eternal

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't turn RTX on in Doom Eternal: hello, I have an RTX 3050Ti laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H and with 8GB RAM. Apparently, whenever I go to turn Raytracing on, it is greyed out. I would like to know if I can turn rtx on or off....
  4. What do I do when my controller turns on but I can't move or anything and I tried to pair...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What do I do when my controller turns on but I can't move or anything and I tried to pair...: I was sitting watching YouTube and I have wireless headphones so my controller usually turns off. When I turned it back on I couldn't move so I turned my xbox off and tried to turn it on through...
  5. I can't access Xbox series X console, when I turn it on it keeps telling me to go to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't access Xbox series X console, when I turn it on it keeps telling me to go to...: I can't access Xbox series X console, when I turn it on I get a message to go to microsoft.com/link and enter a code. Where do I enter the code? c3e4ec3b-c415-46cb-bb34-bcea4197c1b4
  6. Can't turn screen time off

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't turn screen time off: Hi, I need help, because its driving me insane. I have logged into my microsoft account on my new laptop, and for some reason it has a screen time on it. I cant use the device after 22:00 until...
  7. My version of Minecraft has turned into a demo and now I can't play.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My version of Minecraft has turned into a demo and now I can't play.: About 4 years ago, my friend bought a Minecraft key from a third-party website and gave me the code to activate it. I played for around 200 hours and achieved all the achievements. Last month,...
  8. can't turn on any game ,except solitaire

in XBoX Games and Apps
    can't turn on any game ,except solitaire: I bought xbox pc game pass 5/5/2023, everything was okay but today games aren't working , also can't download anything bfb9bd5b-4a2a-4c6b-94dd-ed19de96eae8
  9. Can't turn in my Microsoft quests and collect the reward points on my Xbox

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't turn in my Microsoft quests and collect the reward points on my Xbox: Every time I launch the Microsoft rewards app to turn in my quests a menu pops up telling me to update my console's location, I have the correct location on my console and I am not using a vpn or...
  10. I can't turn in my Quests on the xbox gamepass

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't turn in my Quests on the xbox gamepass: I can't turn in my Quests on the xbox gamepass on the xbox console or the gamepass app on my phone just keeps saying we couldn't submit your quests and it's been saying that since yesterday now...