Can't set audio to analog while using Xbox 360 VGA adapter

Discus and support Can't set audio to analog while using Xbox 360 VGA adapter in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I recently hooked up my Xbox 360 (original) after a long hiatus via the VGA HD/AV adapter, and was able to download a system update after... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ShoNuff1982, Dec 26, 2014.

1. ShoNuff1982
    ShoNuff1982 Guest

Hello,

I recently hooked up my Xbox 360 (original) after a long hiatus via the VGA HD/AV adapter, and was able to download a system update after connecting to Xbox LIVE. I noticed that there's no audio playing, and when I go to settings, there's not
    even an option to set my audio to analog.

The cables are plugged into the appropriate slots on the back of the TV, there is no optical audio cable connected at all.

This is the screen in my settings menu:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--wJzcMlH1ws/VJ3zKW4B39I/AAAAAAAAFEA/eIoGiwxBs90/w1028-h577-no/WP_20141226_001.jpg

I've tried restarting doing the initial setup, and the settings are still locked in. A
    ny help would be appreciated.

:)

ShoNuff1982, Dec 26, 2014
  2. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest
    IceStorm III, Dec 26, 2014
  3. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest
    Computer nerd help?

[quote user="iiMr Beatbox"]are any differences between a HDMI cable to the VGA HD/AV.[/quote]From a resolution standpoint, there's no difference between HDMI and VGA cabling on the 360. Both support the full range of available output resolutions that the
    360 offers, up to 1080p.

VGA is analog. While the quality of the cable and the electronics in the display matter more than with HDMI, the official VGA cable quality is fine. Most monitor VGA inputs are also fine. I've used both VGA and HDMI with the same LCD monitor. There's no
    appreciable difference.

From an audio standpoint, the HDMI cable blocks the AV port on the console. If your monitor has audio out and you have a 360 S, this shouldn't be an issue as you can use the monitor's headphone jack to drive the TB x12 headset and the 360 S's optical port
    to drive the A50s. If you have an original 360, things are more complicated. You'd need to find a thin HDMI AV adapter dongle. Mad Catz supposedly makes one, but it also apparently isn't pinned properly. An original adapter would be better.

One nice thing about the original VGA cable is that it provided both analog and optical audio out. The latest version only provides analog audio out as the 360 S has an optical out port. if you have a 360 S, this isn't an issue. If you're using an original
    360 model than this could be an issue if you can't find an original official VGA cable.

Far as 5.1 or 7.1 goes, the A50s support 5.1 as well as 7.1.

IceStorm III, Dec 26, 2014
  4. IceStorm III Win User

Xbox One and VGA

[quote user="I Berserker II"]@icestorm: ok, thanx. I also try a HDMI to DVI cable AND a DVI to VGA Adapter, so i get a HDMI to VGA.[/quote]That won't work.

DVI to VGA adapters are for use with DVI-I ports on video cards. The DVI standard provides for a version that has pins which carry VGA analog signals. DVI-I ports are pinned to provide that output. That's why HDMI to DVI to VGA doesn't work - the HDMI source
    has no VGA analog signals to begin with.

For audio, you'll need a digital to analog audio adapter and the requisite cabling to connect the adapter to the Xbox One, as well as to whatever speakers you want to use. They're pretty easy to find on Amazon.
  5. IceStorm III Win User

Computer nerd help?

[quote user="iiMr Beatbox"]are any differences between a HDMI cable to the VGA HD/AV.[/quote]From a resolution standpoint, there's no difference between HDMI and VGA cabling on the 360. Both support the full range of available output resolutions that the
    360 offers, up to 1080p.

VGA is analog. While the quality of the cable and the electronics in the display matter more than with HDMI, the official VGA cable quality is fine. Most monitor VGA inputs are also fine. I've used both VGA and HDMI with the same LCD monitor. There's no
    appreciable difference.

From an audio standpoint, the HDMI cable blocks the AV port on the console. If your monitor has audio out and you have a 360 S, this shouldn't be an issue as you can use the monitor's headphone jack to drive the TB x12 headset and the 360 S's optical port
    to drive the A50s. If you have an original 360, things are more complicated. You'd need to find a thin HDMI AV adapter dongle. Mad Catz supposedly makes one, but it also apparently isn't pinned properly. An original adapter would be better.

One nice thing about the original VGA cable is that it provided both analog and optical audio out. The latest version only provides analog audio out as the 360 S has an optical out port. if you have a 360 S, this isn't an issue. If you're using an original
    360 model than this could be an issue if you can't find an original official VGA cable.

Far as 5.1 or 7.1 goes, the A50s support 5.1 as well as 7.1.
  6. IceStorm III Win User

Xbox to LCD Monitor help?

7. IceStorm III Win User

my xbox 360 reboots itself whenever i change channel, how can i stop this?

Unfortunately, that means you'll need the AV audio adapter that's been pictured in this thread. A proper adapter will not cause problems for the 360. Some are not pinned properly, unfortunately.

You could switch to a VGA cable or Component cable, or you could investigate your TV and see if it has an option for audio out. You could also pick up an HDMI switch that has analog audio out.
  8. IceStorm III Win User

Connecting an Xbox to either a PC or PC monitor

[quote user="Ces Les Beast"]I was wondering if its possible to connect my xbox 360 to my pc via USB and then use that to display though the PC's monitor and/or use the sound drivers to use the pc's speakers[/quote]No.
    If that's not possible can u use
    a USB to link the xbox to my monitor
    No.
    My monitor doesn't have an HDMI connection
    There are HDMI to DVI cables. There are digital audio to analog audio adapters. There are also VGA cables for 360s that have an AV port (the 360 E does
    not).
Thema:

1. Can't set audio to analog while using Xbox 360 VGA adapter - Similar Threads - Can't set audio

2. Can't open settings on Xbox One S

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't open settings on Xbox One S: My xbox one s has been having performance issues lately, so I wanted to check for an update. I cannot access the settings menu and everytime I try, I get this message. You need to install the...
  3. While trying to set up my Xbox 1 s it can't connect to the wifi. I've reset the console...

in XBoX on Consoles
    While trying to set up my Xbox 1 s it can't connect to the wifi. I've reset the console...: When trying to set up my new Xbox 1 s it cannot connect to the wifi. I've reset the console, unplugged the consoles power, and moved the wifi router closer. 4e8e39dd-8fcf-4a1c-81c7-17fa5a2d402e
  4. Xbox series X unsupported mode on tv can't get menu for xbox settings to come up on tv....

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series X unsupported mode on tv can't get menu for xbox settings to come up on tv....: XBOX SERIES X -UNSUPPORTED MODE STUCK ON SCREEN. CANT GET XBOX MENU TO COME UP. PLEASE HELP ITS STUCK 69f39e34-6d04-4bad-a076-9758beac45ac
  5. You can't play with content created by other players because of how your account is set up

in XBoX Accessibility
    You can't play with content created by other players because of how your account is set up: My xbox game pass says "You can't play with content created by other players because of how your account is set up" but all my settings are on allow and it still won't let me use these features...
  6. Can't find any settings that are restricting me from downloading mods on fs22.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't find any settings that are restricting me from downloading mods on fs22.: I've looked at a bunch of settings and I can't find anything that is helping. My issue is, when i try to go onto modhub in fs22 it says "you can't play with content created by other players...
  7. You can't play with content created by other players because of how your account is set up

in XBoX Accessibility
    You can't play with content created by other players because of how your account is set up: My xbox game pass says "You can't play with content created by other players because of how your account is set up" but all my settings are on allow and it still won't let me use these features...
  8. Can't Find Remote Play Settings

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't Find Remote Play Settings: I want to change the streaming resolution to something like 480p for better performance, but I can't find the settings to do so. I go to Settings > Devices & Connections > Remote Features but I...
  9. I can't add friends on Xbox because of how my Microsoft account is set up, how do I change...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I can't add friends on Xbox because of how my Microsoft account is set up, how do I change...: I can't add friends on Xbox because of how my Microsoft account is set up, how do I change my safety settings to allow Multiplayer? aac85b88-851a-425c-8210-36a834a62284
  10. Can't set 5.1 uncompressed audio on Xbox One S with my VIZIO 4k UHDTV (m65-d0); 0x80bd0009 ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't set 5.1 uncompressed audio on Xbox One S with my VIZIO 4k UHDTV (m65-d0); 0x80bd0009 ...: My Console: Xbox One S My TV output: Vizio 4k HDR TV (model no: m65-d0) via HDMI 1 port (hdmi color subsampling enabled) My Audio output: Vizio 5.1 soundbar system via optical audio cable Issue...