can't select D: drive to install games to

Discus and support can't select D: drive to install games to in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have a small boot SSD drive I'm using for Windows 10 & I want to install my games to my 49.1 terabyte RAID 5 D: drive. If I go to profile | settings... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by v2joecr, Oct 13, 2022.

1. v2joecr
    v2joecr Guest

I have a small boot SSD drive I'm using for Windows 10 & I want to install my games to my 49.1 terabyte RAID 5 D: drive.

If I go to profile | settings | general I can select d: with 34.9 terabytes remaining however with that selected when I go to install games I can only install on the C: drive that has limited space, so I don't want to use it more than I have to. I did find in troubleshooting if I plug in a USB to SATA drive & connect an old drive to that I do have the option to install to that drive when I click install.

I just rebooted the computer for windows updates. I checked for updates & none shown.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044 build 19044.

I'm including screenshots showing the option to install to the external drive that I don't plan on leaving connected to the computer as I'm just using it to get data off it as it came from an old computer that died.

can't select D: drive to install games to [​IMG]

can't select D: drive to install games to [​IMG]

:)

v2joecr, Oct 13, 2022
  2. Georges C. Win User

Hello again, your system has the latest version which is great, I'll give you some procedures, try running them on your PC.

DEFRAG

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/def...

Using System File Checker in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/usi...

chkdsk

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

1 - Type cmd (Command Prompt) in the search bar of the Start menu and then click Run as administrator.

2 - Enter chkdsk /f/x/r/v

Being in use the system will ask if the user wants to check the chosen drive after reboot. Just type S and restart the computer.
  3. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello V2joecr , have you checked if you have the latest version of Windows installed, at 21H2.

See which version of Windows 10 you have

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/see...

Updates are often seen as optional.

If you haven't updated yet, click the link below, update, and make all subsequent security updates.

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Download Windows 11

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Also, make sure all Xbox Apps are up to date in the store, and make sure you have the Xbox Companion App installed, it works with the Xbox App.

Note: not all the game will be possible to be installed on a secondary disk, many games need to be installed on the root disk because they need the system files to run.
  4. v2joecr Win User

[​IMG]

To my knowledge that is the latest version because if I check for updates, I don't find any.

[​IMG]

Obviously, I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 10, or I just wasted money on most of my RAM.
    wow I finally found a game that will let me install it on D:. that was Halo wars definitive edition. The strange thing is all the other games will let me install them on my external hard drive or C: but never D:. Halo spartan assault, killer instinct, phantom dust, Roblox, & world of warships also offer the option to select the D: drive.

Age of empires definitive edition, destiny 2, fallout, fallout2, fallout tactics, fallout 76, halo infinite, & Minecraft launcher offer the option to install to C: or the external but not D:.

So that behavior does not follow the idea that they need to be installed on C: as all of the above will allow installing to the external USB drive.

Updating all installed apps from the Microsoft store didn't help.
  5. griffinloveday Win User

How to solve error code 0x80070199 when installing any game from Xbox app or Microsoft store

Games will intall onto my C drive (the drive that has WIndows installed onto it), but now I can't choose to install games onto my D or E drive, because I deleted the WPsystem folders.
  6. kalel87 Win User

Xbox PC 0x80073D0D Error

So after uninstallig Gaming service and Xbox, reinstalling it nothing changed. I went ahead and tried installing the game on my C drive and it would download. so I started searching for "Xbox won't install on D Drive" and found

Xbox (Beta) app don't download on D drive

[table][tr][td]Bos Nuka Knight:Hello, sorry to hear your having problems. Try the following for a fix and let me know if you have any luck.
    • When starting the game installation from the Xbox (Beta) app you have the option of changing where content will be stored by selecting the hard drive you want to install to. If you see the message “Selected drive is not set up to install games,” your drive is not provisioned and installation access is denied. To fix this:
      • Either select the link under the message to go to Settings, or press the Windows key and selecting Settings > System > Storage. Select Change where new content is saved.
      • Using the menu under Where apps will be saved to, choose the drive you want.
    [/td][/tr][/table]
    after changing this setting Xbox no longer gives me the option to install on C drive witch is fine but will now install on my D Drive.
Thema:

1. can't select D: drive to install games to - Similar Threads - can't select drive

2. Can't select a gamertag

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't select a gamertag: Well. I buyed Minecraft like hours ago and, when I selecting my gamertag, I'm clicking the button: "Let's go" but doesn't do anything. I can send a video or a image in discord my discord is:1336...
  3. My C drive is full, can't select my D drive as a download.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My C drive is full, can't select my D drive as a download.: I want to install Halo: MCC to play with a friend, but my C Drive is full. Can't really uninstall a lot, as most of the stuff I still use. I've got 2T of storage in D Drive, and want to use it to...
  4. I can't select the hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't select the hard drive: I can't select the hard drive my game is installed on. No errors! 21782212-afaf-4755-bb77-f7f12288fd59
  5. Can't select drive "unknown available" error PC Game Pass

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't select drive "unknown available" error PC Game Pass: This is frustrating. I was able to install a few games six months ago. However, when I tried to install more games this week, I get this error. This error was documented in 2019, but the link to...
  6. Can't select drive "unknown available" error PC Game Pass

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't select drive "unknown available" error PC Game Pass: [img] its say Can't select drive "unknown available" bc000428-24f3-4e2c-ab97-90b34f20f82c
  7. Can't select drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't select drive: So this just randomly started happening and I have no clue what to do you where to start. I try to install what it tells me but it never allows me to install the program, and it made me buy the...
  8. Can't select drive to install dragon quest XI

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't select drive to install dragon quest XI: I Had a game pass subscription and installed dragon quest xi to my S: drive before. Now i don't have game pass anymore and purchased the game but the only option i have is to install it on my C:...
  9. Xbox Game Pass for PC Beta - Can't select any drive to install games

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Pass for PC Beta - Can't select any drive to install games: While trying to install any games on Xbox Game Pass for PC, i am unavailable to select any of my drives to install the game. [img] I've tried several workarounds including going to...
  10. Can't select drive "unknown available" error PC Game Pass

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't select drive "unknown available" error PC Game Pass: Hey folks! Hoping someone can help with this! Trying to install gears 5 via PC xbox app, D: is my secondary drive for storage and game installs, boot drive being a 250gb nmve. Until today I've...