Can't reinstall or update game.

Discus and support Can't reinstall or update game. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently tried moving my Forza Horizon 5 install from a larger HDD to a faster SSD. The move option in the apps settings of windows did not work so I... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by LazoOfTruth, Dec 4, 2021.

  1. LazoOfTruth
    LazoOfTruth Guest

    Can't reinstall or update game.


    I recently tried moving my Forza Horizon 5 install from a larger HDD to a faster SSD. The move option in the apps settings of windows did not work so I uninstalled to attempt to reinstall on the C: drive. When I tried reinstalling it errors at 100% and 5.3 GB (which is really small for the game) and gives error code 0x80071127 which I cannot find anything on online. When I try updating other games that are installed I get the same error, BUT when I try installing a new game from game pass it works fine. The games that are trying to update are stuck at 0%.

    I am at a loss at what to do, have tried removing and resetting the windows store and game pass but nothing seems to work.

    :)
     
    LazoOfTruth, Dec 4, 2021
    #1
  2. aksdb Win User

    Can't reinstall or update game.

    I had the same problem and finally found a solution.

    First, I aborted the update of the game (in my case Forza Horizon 5). I started the XBox App, hit the three dots beside the game, picked "Manage Install" and there I could click "cancel installation". Good, the game was playable/visible again.

    To pinpoint what exactly goes wrong, I looked into the Event Viewer under "Application and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Store > Operational". There were several errors pointing to that error code 0x80071127. For example this one:

    XvcDataSource_RemoveJunction.RemovingReparsePoint \\?\D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.624F8B84B80_3.414.967.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Error: The reparse point attribute cannot be set because it conflicts with an existing attribute.
    Function: XvcDataSource::RemoveJunction
    I inspected that junction (using `fsutil reparsepoint query` but it didn't look suspicious. No idea where the conflict comes from. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to fiddle in that folder; not even as System or TrusterInstaller user.

    So I booted a Linux live CD and went to the WindowsApps directory to delete the problematic junction (In my case "Microsoft.624F8B84B80_3.414.967.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe", which is a specific version of Forza Horizon 5): `rm Microsoft.624F8B84B80_3.414.967.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe`.

    I rebooted to Windows, went to "(System) Settings > Apps > Forza Horizon 5 > Advanced Settings" and hit "Repair" followed by "Reset". Then I opened the XBox App, searched for Forza Horizon 5, hit "Install", picked the same location I had before, and after a few seconds it registered that all files are already there and it was fine again. Then I went to the Windows Store, hit "Get Updates" and it finally started successfully updating the game. No conflict anymore.

    (I had to do this for three games ... all work now.)

    Edit: I just realized that my system showed a lot of traffic, so something was apparently downloading ... a lot. Neither Windows Store nor the XBox App showed any active downloads, so I assume my "reinstall" from above triggered some background download that is redundant now. I wen to "(System) Settings > Apps > Gaming Service" and hit "Reset". The downloads stopped. So I guess I have a clean state now - again. The games still work.
  3. L4c3rd4 Win User

    Can't reinstall or update game.

    Hello dear Gamer, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

    My name is Vinicius.

    I am a gamer and independent advisor on the XBOX community platform.

    Hey LazoOfTruth, how are you today? Hope you're well.

    So, let's try this, first, make sure your windows and all its services are up to date:

    Open Settings, click Update and Security and then Windows Update;

    Click Check for Updates;

    Click the Download and Install Now option, if available;

    Also, check the Microsoft Store for any updates on the Xbox apps and its services.

    ______________________________________________________________

    Then try this:

    Go to windows settings > apps > search for gaming services app > click on it and select advanced options.

    After that, click repair and then restore, open the app and try again.

    Then do the same for the Xbox app:

    Go to windows settings > apps > search for Xbox app > click on it and select advanced options.

    After that, click repair and then restore, open the app and try again.

    ______________________________________________________________

    Then, try to uninstall and install the Xbox app. :)

    ______________________________________________________________

    If it still doesn't work you're going to uninstall the games services using a powershell command, then you're going to open the gamepass app, it will ask you to download and install the game services again :

    In the windows search bar type Powershell > Right click and select open as administrator > Type the command: "get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-Appxpackage –allusers" > Wait for the process to finish and then restart the PC, then open your Xbox gamepass app, it will ask you to install the gaming services again, install it and try again.

    ______________________________________________________________

    If neither of those procedures works, try to restore your PC's OS via the ISO image tool, using that tool you will be able to maintain your installed games and files.

    If you're using Windows 10:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

    If you're using Windows 11:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
  4. Freaktzon Win User

    Não consigo inicializar um jogo XBOX GAME PASS

    Hello, first of all thanks for your answer. I will explain it in English so everybody can understand what's happening.

    I installed the game, played it some hours and quit, then it suddently started to update but the update was reinstalling the game, so i did cancel it and tried to start the game. Since this, the game does not start, i tried to uninstall and reinstall it,
    but i can't reinstall it because it shows the game already is in my library.

    So, i can't install and i can't play it.
  5. matthewiag Win User

    can I get rid of updates?

    Hello AromaticSpy505

    Normally Once an update had been applied to the Game or Windows this can't be reverted since the update will reinstall automatically if you Factory Reset or Uninstall the game
  6. Loder14 Win User

    Update Instillation Queued on XBOX ONE- NHL 15

    I also have this issue... DO NOT try uninstalling and reinstalling! Tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling over a 2.0kb update, now I can't install the game at all! Hope they fix this issue soon...
Thema:

Can't reinstall or update game.

Loading...
  1. Can't reinstall or update game. - Similar Threads - Can't reinstall update

  2. New Experience on Cloud issue, can't interact with anything

    in XboX Insiders
    New Experience on Cloud issue, can't interact with anything: I openned play.xbox.com and got a pop-up to try the new experience, which I accepted. Now on Chrome, Edge and on the Chrome APP, the interface is different, but everything is "dimmed" / Greyed out...
  3. Can't see the "Claim digital license" option

    in XboX Insiders
    Can't see the "Claim digital license" option: I'm trying to claim the digital license for Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One) but the option isn't showing up. I'm on Preview Omega, and I just had an update today, showing up on latest but here's the...
  4. I can't use D2D on my Xbox Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    I can't use D2D on my Xbox Series X: I'm currently using an Xbox Series X. I installed the Xbox Insider Hub for the first time today, and it says that "This console is in the Preview Omega ring." In the Manage section, it shows:...
  5. Alpha ring Can't play physical discs

    in XboX Insiders
    Alpha ring Can't play physical discs: Hey everyone. I haven't tried to play a physical game in a long while. However with the new disc to digital starting I wanted to try it out. When I put a disc in nothing happens. Literally...
  6. Games disappearing off my library and says I can't play a certain few games cause I don't...

    in XboX Insiders
    Games disappearing off my library and says I can't play a certain few games cause I don't...: I've noticed games diapering for a bit now and wanna know if it's happening to anyone else cause before it started happening I had like what 450 odd games earlier today I had 359 now it's at 360...
  7. Can't install games if using Xbox remote play to access the console since the most recent...

    in XboX Insiders
    Can't install games if using Xbox remote play to access the console since the most recent...: Prior to the update a couple days ago, I could remote into my Xbox from work and play and install games. Since the update, if I remote to the Xbox, it no longer has an install button for games....
  8. Xbox app wouldn't work -- uninstalled -- can't reinstall

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app wouldn't work -- uninstalled -- can't reinstall: Getting an error message when trying to install xbox app on Windows 11 22H2 c10dd042-6aa7-44a4-a8de-03843f3290c3
  9. Why can't I reinstall FC24 on my Xbox One?

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I reinstall FC24 on my Xbox One?: I tried to open FC24 but my Xbox One said it was corrupted and asked me to uninstall and reinstall the game. Whenever I try to install the game it immediately stops and shows this error code:...
  10. Can't reinstall digital game on xbox one

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't reinstall digital game on xbox one: Hello, I uninstalled a game (AC Valhalla) that i bought digitally on xbox one, but now I can't find it on my owned games. When I go to the Microsoft store it shows that i have to buy it again....