Can't install or update any game - error 0x80070005 (folder permission/account switch bug)

Discus and support Can't install or update any game - error 0x80070005 (folder permission/account switch bug) in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; So, I have this problem for the last 6 months or so, but finally I was somewhat able to track down what causes it. I had 2 separate problems on my... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by DaLosar, Dec 1, 2021.

1. DaLosar
    DaLosar Guest

Can't install or update any game - error 0x80070005 (folder permission/account switch bug)

So, I have this problem for the last 6 months or so, but finally I was somewhat able to track down what causes it. I had 2 separate problems on my Windows 10 machine:

1 - My disk would generate dozens of GB of logs everyday in the c:/windows/temp folder, which made I always have no free space on the disk and causing all sorts of bugs with applications. Obviously the info on these logs was obscured, so I couldn't discover what generated them. This was all the info I had:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: AppxDeploymentFailureBlue

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: 80070005

P2: 22

P3: 3

P4: windows.stateExtension

P5: 10.0.19041.1348

P6: 5252

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

2 - Often my Xbox app would not update or install games. Whenever I tried I would get the following error:

Something unexpected happened.

Reporting this problem will help us understand it better. You can wait a bit and try again or restart your device. That may help

Error code: 0x80070005

Another cryptic error message with no info that would help me solve the issue. Obviously restarting the device or waiting didn't fix anything, so I took matter into my own hands.
    After trying all available fixes on the internet (lots of people had similar problems, but not this one) I eventually gave up and did a fresh windows install that doesn't delete the disk and, much to my surprise, that didn't fix the issue either.

After a couple of months trying I gave up, unsubscribed from Game Pass and made a shell script to delete everything from the c:\windows\temp folder every 5 minutes, so that my disk won't be full and will stop bugging other problems. My disk is an SSD and, as we know, they tend to have low endurance. This constant write/delete is very bad for its health and that was killing the SSD.

Recently I decided to try again to fix the Xbox app and tracked down the issue to the F:\WindowsApps folder, the folder that games gets stored. For some reason it wasn't able to write/read from there properly and this made my games uninstallable/unupdateable/unplayable. After trying to fix the permissions I eventually gave up, entered security mode, deleted the folder (actually renamed it) and restart the PC. When I opened Xbox app again I had to set this disk as being used again, restart the PC and suddenly it was working again, like a charm. All I had to do was to redownload all games I wanted and problem solved.

This is until I discovered what caused the problem to begin: I have two accounts on this PC. My main user account and the account I use for Xbox game pass. Sometimes the Windows Store/Xbox app uses my main user account as default to login and this behavior was causing the bugs in the WindowsApps folder, which was causing the huge amount of useless logs, which was bugging basically every prorgam on my PC.

So as I stand now I probably will have to delete my WindowsApp folder AGAIN if I don't want 100s of GBs of error logs per day (if I recall correctly Microsoft Store keeps trying to update stuff on background even when every app is closed, so I don't see any way of stopping it)

This obviously need to be fixed, as I'm paying for a service that I can't use AND thats nuking my computer (which I also use to work, by the way).

Do you have any hotfixes for this issue?

:)

DaLosar, Dec 1, 2021
  2. DaLosar Win User

Hello Cristopher

I did that, but I still get the same error. I have the correct account logged in the Xbox app, however the folder permissions probably already got messed. Is there a way to fix it without having to delete and redownload?

Also, how can I avoid this error, even if I log with another account? Seems counter-intuitive to have a multiple accounts per installation feature if it doesn't work properly.

Thanks,
    Luiz
  3. chadamski Win User

Same things is happening to me, and apparently many users. Has been happening for months. I'm paying for a completely unusable service on my PC at the moment. Any update, MSFT?
  4. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Hi there welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. Well, I suggest you try this:

Open the Settings app it is the gear in the start menu.

Open Accounts

Click Sign-in Options

Scroll down to Privacy

Uncheck "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update and restart."

Restart your PC!
  5. Rishabh0067 Win User

How do I fix error code 0x80070005 and error code 0x803F8001

Both error codes 0x80070005 and 0x803F8001 are common issues in Windows and can occur for various reasons. Here are steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix these errors:

Run as Administrator:
    If you're encountering this error while trying to install or run a program, right-click on the program's shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." This ensures that the program has the necessary permissions to run.

Check Folder/File Permissions:
    If the error occurs when accessing a specific file or folder, make sure you have the necessary permissions. Right-click on the file/folder, go to "Properties," then the "Security" tab. Ensure your user account has the required permissions.

Windows Update Troubleshooter:
    Run the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter to identify and fix any issues related to Windows updates.

Check Antivirus/Firewall:
    Sometimes, security software can block certain operations. Temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall software and see if the issue persists.
  6. MarkVesey Win User

Xbox App does not work

Hi Flash, my issue is the 100% downloaded but error installing message 0x80070005. Installs work perfectly to system drive C, however error when installed on any other drive. Tried every solution online (re-installing everything except windows, xbox insider, win storage location default changes, time date location, adjusting permissions in system drive (noting permissions revert back on other 2 drives for /windowsapps folders), updates, deleting windowsapps and wpsystem folders, repairing and resetting, etc. etc.).

If i restart the computer and resume the download it will complete, which tells me it is a permission issue with the xbox pc app and drive. It's been going on for many months now and had enough lol
Thema:

1. Can't install or update any game - error 0x80070005 (folder permission/account switch bug) - Similar Threads - Can't install update

2. I can't install games (please help me)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't install games (please help me): Hello and welcome to my personal hell the last 2 days. My computer refuses to install games from the Xbox app. I can click the install button, but cannot choose a folder within my hard drive to...
  3. Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...: Seriously, I know Microsoft wants to streamline their cross-platform capabilities, but this is so stupid. I can't even play Minecraft without the Xbox app working properly. The Xbox app is such a...
  4. Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...: I have a Ryzen 3 3100 Gt 1030 2 GB 16 GB RAM Can't install sea of thieves because I have X on system requirements even though I meet all the requirements as I had sea of thieves on my...
  5. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  6. Can't install any Ubisoft game through Game Pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install any Ubisoft game through Game Pass: Hello, I can't seem to install any Ubisoft game on the Xbox pc app only three dots come up on the install button. I've tried to Uninstall other apps/games but that hasn't worked please help me....
  7. i can't download/update/install games on my xbox series s

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i can't download/update/install games on my xbox series s: So last night i decided to play some cod cold war and copied the game from an eternal drive i had it on to my internal xbox drive. its 150 gig worth so not a small game. after it was done copying...
  8. I can't install game on Gamepass Ultimate on the PC or update games.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install game on Gamepass Ultimate on the PC or update games.: I can stream them. What is wrong I havetried all advised steps. ee90efac-d459-4a48-8f38-3bf67b0cf026
  9. I can't install update for Halo Infinite, getting error 0x80070490, what do I do?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install update for Halo Infinite, getting error 0x80070490, what do I do?: Hey, I can't install update for Halo Infinite, getting error 0x80070490, anyone can help? 820c1b38-910c-4d7c-9a18-20f2d07b9bdb
  10. Xbox PC App stuck on checking for updates, can't download, cancel or pause installations.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox PC App stuck on checking for updates, can't download, cancel or pause installations.: I can't download any game, it's stucked on 0 B/S everytime i launched xbox app the same is with canceling any installation or pausing I've tried to fix it, i repaired it and restarted MS and xbox...