Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / Sad Face

Discus and support Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / Sad Face in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; After having no issues playing PC Game Pass games on Windows 10 for months, all of my GP games suddenly started giving me a 0x80004005 error. This... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Skeven_X, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Skeven_X
    Skeven_X Guest

After having no issues playing PC Game Pass games on Windows 10 for months, all of my GP games suddenly started giving me a 0x80004005 error. This seems to be the same issues as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ass-game/732b64ea-0233-4552-a134-3f7152b884cd

Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / Sad Face [​IMG]

This started on Windows 10 64-bit 21H2 and I have since, during the course of troubleshooting, done an in-place upgrade to 22H2 using the Media Creation Tool. The primary user account I use is a local administrator, and I am an active Game Pass Ultimate subscriber.

Symptoms:

• Trying to launch an installed Game Pass game gives error 0x80004005 during the sign in/authentication splash
    • Trying to install a Game Pass game (with the Xbox app) that was previously installed also gives error 0x80004005
    • After running some of the recommended troubleshooting from Xbox app from https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/troubleshooting/troubleshoot-games-windows-10, I now receive a sad face icon instead of "Install" for all Game Pass games and games in My Library.
    • Using the "Install" button from the Microsoft Store on Game Pass games does nothing.
    • Using the "Install" button from the Microsoft Store for games I own gives error 0x80004005
    Things I've tried (Windows 10):

• Toggling and Syncing date/time
    • Checking for updates on Windows Update
    • There were no recently installed updates to remove
    • Running Microsoft Store Troubleshooter
    • Running Windows Apps Troubleshooter
    • Signing out of Microsoft Store and Xbox App
    • Signing out of Microsoft account in Windows Settings
    • Resetting Microsoft Store and Xbox App
    • Running WSReset
    • Setting the 4 Xbox services to 'automatic' and starting them
    • Uninstalling/Reinstalling Microsoft Store and Xbox App via Powershell
    • Uninstalling/Reinstalling Game Services via Powershell
    • Reinstalling & re-registering all Windows Apps via Powershell
    • SFC /scannow
    • DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • Using the Media Creation Tool to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows
    • Creating a new local account
    It seems only creating the new local user account and playing them from the new user seemed to get it working again, which is a very inconvenient way to be able to play my games.

Edit: I was able to fix this by running the script at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

:)

Skeven_X, Jan 27, 2023
  2. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Skeven_X, we have seen some occurrences regarding this error in the community and for now the solution you mentioned seems to be the best while we do not have some kind of update or position from Microsoft.
  3. Skeven_X Win User

Georges, I believe I was finally able to fix my issue by running the script found at:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

I am now able to install and run Game Pass games from the Xbox app and Microsoft Store
  4. Skeven_X Win User

Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / 0x00000001 / Sad Face

5. el p1nko Win User

So this now works again.

For people that have the same issue as described by me above and find this post with a search engine:

I did not change a thing, I haven't even rebooted my PC since I posted this issue.

And as described above I had tried everything humanly possible to solve this before.

So in all likelihood this is something on the server side and you can't do anything about it, except create a second admin account and install and play games from there in the meantime, until this hopefully also resolves itself for you.
  6. ReynaldoB Win User

Hi el p1nko,

Thank you for giving us an update about your concern.

We are glad to know that the problem has been resolved. Hope everything is working fine now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post your concerns in the Microsoft Community, we are happy to provide you with instructions and answer all your queries.

We thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Forum Moderator
Thema:

1. Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / Sad Face - Similar Threads - Can't install play

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. I can't install games (please help me)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't install games (please help me): Hello and welcome to my personal hell the last 2 days. My computer refuses to install games from the Xbox app. I can click the install button, but cannot choose a folder within my hard drive to...
  4. Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...: Seriously, I know Microsoft wants to streamline their cross-platform capabilities, but this is so stupid. I can't even play Minecraft without the Xbox app working properly. The Xbox app is such a...
  5. Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...: I have a Ryzen 3 3100 Gt 1030 2 GB 16 GB RAM Can't install sea of thieves because I have X on system requirements even though I meet all the requirements as I had sea of thieves on my...
  6. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  7. Gaming services won't install. Can't play Gamepass games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming services won't install. Can't play Gamepass games: Getting an error within the gamepass app on PC "Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Tried powershell commands, deleting Gaming Services from registry, creating another account on...
  8. Why can't I play games I've installed on my computer?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I play games I've installed on my computer?: I have spent the better part of 8 hours between yesterday and now today trying to get ahold of someone at Microsoft or Xbox to get help with my issue. I am always met with an outsourced individual...
  9. I've purchased a new laptop and now I can't install and play minecraft that I have already...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I've purchased a new laptop and now I can't install and play minecraft that I have already...: I played Minecraft on my old laptop but it died so I've purchased a new laptop and now I can't install and play Minecraft that I have already paid for. On my account It doesn't show that I've...
  10. Why can't I re-install a game I've payed for and played

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I re-install a game I've payed for and played: I bought 'conan exiles' roughly a year ago and uninstalled it but now I want to play it again. It doesn't appear in my ready to install but it does appear in my order history. When I press view...