Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / 0x00000001 / Sad Face

Discus and support Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / 0x00000001 / Sad Face in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; For almost two weeks now I have the issue that I can neither install a PC Game Pass game on my Windows 10 PC (local administrator account). Previously... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by el p1nko, Jan 5, 2023.

1. el p1nko
    el p1nko Guest

For almost two weeks now I have the issue that I can neither install a PC Game Pass game on my Windows 10 PC (local administrator account).

Previously I had dozens of Game Pass games installed and they all worked fine.

Symptoms:

• It all started almost two week ago when I was still able to launch Forza Horizon 5 (Game Pass), but noticed all online components in the game were greyed out. After that I restarted the PC and the game and since then I can't even launch the game or any other game pass game anymore.
    • Trying to launch an installed Game Pass game gives error 0x80004005
    • Trying to install a Game Pass game (with the Xbox app) that was previously installed also gives error 0x80004005 before it starts downloading
    • Trying to install a Game Pass game that has never been installed on this PC gives error 0x00000001 before it starts downloading
    • After I have run into the above described errors trying to install Game Pass games, the Xbox app will then show the "sad face" icon instead of the "Install" button for every Game Pass game that I haven't had installed before, until I reset the Xbox app (I still see the "Install" button for all Game Pass games that have previously been installed, but of course any attempt of actually installing ends with error 0x80004005)
    • I can download, install and play any games that are in my library and that I own just fine (e.g. Forza Horizon 4), but none that are on Game Pass.

I have tried pretty much all that I could find online and more, except resetting/reinstalling Windows (unacceptable as a solution due to the required time having to reinstall and reconfigure/customize probably 100 programs on the PC, so that is simply a no go):

• Search for updates (everything is up to date)
    • Reset Xbox app
    • Reset Store
    • Store troubleshooter
    • Disable/enable IPv6
    • Reinstall Gaming Services via PowerShell
    • The usual DSIM and SFC commands (nothing was ever found)
    • Updating to Windows 11
    • Going back to Windows 10
    • Taking ownership of the WindowsApps folder and deleting it completely and then reinstalling Store and Apps via PowerShell

What does work on the very same PC however is installing and playing any Game Pass games when I am logged in to Windows 10 with a newly created, secondary administrator account. This also is not a long term solution however, I simply can't disconnect my main user session each time I want to play a game. Neither is it an option of transferring all programs, configurations and customizations of dozens of programs to the secondary account.

Other infos:

• I am a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and the subscription is valid.
    • Installing and launching owned Windows Store/Xbox games still works on the main account
    • Installing and launching games from any other service like Steam or Epic works on the main account as well

I would really appreciate a solution that doesn't involve resetting or reinstalling my PC or having to switch to a secondary user account in Windows every time I want to play a Game Pass game.

There must be some reason and solution to why no Game Pass games will run on my main local Windows account.

:)

el p1nko, Jan 5, 2023
  2. Skeven_X Win User

3. el p1nko Win User

So this now works again.

For people that have the same issue as described by me above and find this post with a search engine:

I did not change a thing, I haven't even rebooted my PC since I posted this issue.

And as described above I had tried everything humanly possible to solve this before.

So in all likelihood this is something on the server side and you can't do anything about it, except create a second admin account and install and play games from there in the meantime, until this hopefully also resolves itself for you.
  4. ReynaldoB Win User

Hi el p1nko,

Thank you for giving us an update about your concern.

We are glad to know that the problem has been resolved. Hope everything is working fine now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post your concerns in the Microsoft Community, we are happy to provide you with instructions and answer all your queries.

We thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Forum Moderator
  5. el p1nko Win User

The problem is solved for me now, but as I didn't change a thing between it not working and it working again (and I had tried many, many things before that) it looks very likely that this is somehow caused on the server side - although I do not understand how the local Windows user account (not the MS game pass subscription account) could be related to that.
  6. ReynaldoB Win User

Hi el p1nko,

Thank you for posting on the Microsoft Community forum. I hope you are doing well.

I understand that you have problem with installing your PC Game Pass. I couldn't imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing right now. Thank you for providing those information you've tried in fixing the problem.

I am currently communicating with our internal team about your concern. Please give us more tie to properly investigate the problem. Rest assured, I will get back to you once I get the helpful information.

We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Forum Moderator
Thema:

1. Can't install or play any PC Game Pass game 0x80004005 / 0x00000001 / Sad Face - Similar Threads - Can't install play

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. I can't install games (please help me)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't install games (please help me): Hello and welcome to my personal hell the last 2 days. My computer refuses to install games from the Xbox app. I can click the install button, but cannot choose a folder within my hard drive to...
  4. Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...: Seriously, I know Microsoft wants to streamline their cross-platform capabilities, but this is so stupid. I can't even play Minecraft without the Xbox app working properly. The Xbox app is such a...
  5. Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...: I have a Ryzen 3 3100 Gt 1030 2 GB 16 GB RAM Can't install sea of thieves because I have X on system requirements even though I meet all the requirements as I had sea of thieves on my...
  6. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  7. Gaming services won't install. Can't play Gamepass games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming services won't install. Can't play Gamepass games: Getting an error within the gamepass app on PC "Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Tried powershell commands, deleting Gaming Services from registry, creating another account on...
  8. Why can't I play games I've installed on my computer?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I play games I've installed on my computer?: I have spent the better part of 8 hours between yesterday and now today trying to get ahold of someone at Microsoft or Xbox to get help with my issue. I am always met with an outsourced individual...
  9. I've purchased a new laptop and now I can't install and play minecraft that I have already...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I've purchased a new laptop and now I can't install and play minecraft that I have already...: I played Minecraft on my old laptop but it died so I've purchased a new laptop and now I can't install and play Minecraft that I have already paid for. On my account It doesn't show that I've...
  10. Why can't I re-install a game I've payed for and played

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I re-install a game I've payed for and played: I bought 'conan exiles' roughly a year ago and uninstalled it but now I want to play it again. It doesn't appear in my ready to install but it does appear in my order history. When I press view...