Can't change refresh rate

Discus and support Can't change refresh rate in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently bought a Xbox Series S to use as my new gaming system. Before, I was using a PC with a 144Hz, WQHD monitor. Now that I'm using the Series S,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Simon Oz, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Simon Oz
    Simon Oz Guest

I recently bought a Xbox Series S to use as my new gaming system. Before, I was using a PC with a 144Hz, WQHD monitor. Now that I'm using the Series S, I can change the resolution to 1440p, but not the refresh rate. My monitor shows it is locked at 60Hz.

Why is that? Before, I was using the same monitor, playing games with a refresh rate of up to 144Hz, at a resolution of 1440p. I think it might be the HDMI cable, but my monitor supports HDMI 2.0, and I'm using the cable that came with the Xbox.

:)

Simon Oz, Nov 30, 2022
  2. Tezzerrific Win User

completely incorrect again.

you do not need 2.1 for 1440p @ 120hz.
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today Simon

“If you have an Xbox Series S console, or if your TV doesn’t support HDMI 2.1, you can still enable 120 Hz gaming at a lower resolution. To do this, set your Refresh rate on the TV & display options screen to 120 Hz. If your resolution was previously set to 4K, the console will automatically adjust the resolution to support the 120 Hz refresh rate. Otherwise, select a resolution from the available options.
    If you own an Xbox Series S and wish to game in 4K@120Hz, you’ll need to acquire a certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cable.”

Source:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...
  4. Tezzerrific Win User

the xbox relies on the edid information from the monitor, it has to have vesa timings listed at exactly 120hz for the resolution, if not then xbox is not compatible, pc can do it as pc gpu's don't use vesa standards and can pretty much run any res and refresh.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Screen goes black after trying to enable 120fps on series s

Hi,

Can't promise I can fix or otherwise find out what the problem is, but could you please provide the make and model of your monitor please?

In regards to a 'weird refresh rate' it's typically a custom refresh rate. Since console gaming on monitors is a relatively new 'thing' these days monitor manufacturers haven't been catering for high refresh rates over HDMI and sticking to VESA approved refresh rates. Not really a problem for PC graphics hardware as they can use these custom refresh rates without issues, but unfortunately Xbox console's can't.
  6. SwordofWhedon Win User

Why is my monitor losing signal when launching a game?

It's changing resolution and refresh rate
Thema:

1. Can't change refresh rate - Similar Threads - Can't change refresh

2. How to add friend keeps saying sorry can't save changes

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How to add friend keeps saying sorry can't save changes: It's been saying this for 2 hours first we were playing then he left my party all of a sudden. When I tried to add him it said sorry can't save changes. His username is potato lata...
  3. Why can't I remove my credit cards from my Microsoft account OR change my password????

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I remove my credit cards from my Microsoft account OR change my password????: I currently have three different cards that are being charged with fraudulent charges through Microsoft. Can't change my password, can't remove credit cards, and good luck trying to speak to...
  4. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  5. I bought a Xbox 360 used and can't change parental controls

in XBoX Accessibility
    I bought a Xbox 360 used and can't change parental controls: I recently bought a used Xbox 360 and when I was exploring it, went into the "Family" tab, it asked me for a code, I didn't know it, it asked me a secret question, I don't know it, now some...
  6. I changed my age, and can't do features I use to have.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my age, and can't do features I use to have.: I changed my age which was orginally over 18, and changed it under, and now I can't access some features I use to be able to access, like custom profile pictures. I thought nothing bad would...
  7. I can't change my minecraft username.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't change my minecraft username.: I enter the launcher, then press "Manage Minecraft: Java Edition profile". ´When I enter the site, I'm logged into the account connected to the email my minecraft account is connected to. For some...
  8. Can't download EA app, have changed out of S mode but it keeps crashing & coming up with...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't download EA app, have changed out of S mode but it keeps crashing & coming up with...: I have acer aspire 3 laptop 5b31e84c-0fe8-43c3-9772-b5fb3577c8ed
  9. I can't change my gamertag

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't change my gamertag: I tried to change my gamertag but when I get in a game It is the same name I had before 212f779c-1e4d-4faf-9c99-230f501ebb1b
  10. Skate 3 can't download after 80% and had to change region in order to sign into xbox live

in XBoX on Consoles
    Skate 3 can't download after 80% and had to change region in order to sign into xbox live: For some context I couldn't sign into my xbox account since 2021 on my xbox 360 and I thought changing my region from south africa to united states could allow me to sign in again and it worked...