Cannot change where I install games

Discus and support Cannot change where I install games in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I cant change the games install location on the xbox app, if you go to setting-general you can see the game install option and theres a drop down which... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Darren Tanjung, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Cannot change where I install games

I cant change the games install location on the xbox app, if you go to setting-general you can see the game install option and theres a drop down which shows the drives, I got 2 drives C and D i can download games on C but cant change the option to drive D and if I change it it would just take me back to drive C so my only option is to download from drive C which has limited space, I downloaded games from EA play and has no problems with it and seem to only affect on xbox games. pls help

:)

Darren Tanjung, Feb 12, 2023
  2. Rostom L Win User

Hi Darren! I'm Rostom, an Independent Advisor. I will be glad to help you here.

Please open your File Explorer and browse to your C drive. Make sure to show your hidden files. Find the ".gamingroot" file. Copy that and paste it to D drive. Do not put it inside a folder. Once done, create an \XboxGames folder in D drive. Restart your computer and test it if you could install now in D drive.
  3. StuartATrueRed Win User

How to Xbox series x the new one external hard drive doesn't take any updates even when you tell it to how do you do it

Updates for the console itself will only install on the internal storage, and updates for games will only install where the games are stored. So if the game is installed on the internal storage, then the update for that game will install on the internal storage. You cannot pick and choose where an update is installed.
  4. Farscape247 Win User

Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where gamepass installs games

re installing the OS or changing hdd means you have to remove the windows apps folder and download again, the folder where the games go is encrypted to that one install of the os and cannot be moved or synced to a new os.

once removed then you can redownload all the gamepass games again.
  5. AlwaysAnonymous1 Win User

Where on your PC are microsoft games installed?

First of all, that is completely false. Every game has config files you can modify. What do you think .cfg and .ini files are? Even before Half-Life days this was a thing, but...

I ask again,

Where on the Xbox App can I see where my games are being installed? I cannot see where Forza is being installed. I can't see where anything is being installed so I can change what drive it is on.

Every other library system (Steam, Origin, Battlenet, etc.) displays where each install is immediately in the application. I am trying to spend money on the Microsoft store but this is overly complex for no reason.
  6. Tezzarrific Win User

Forza Horizon 4

installing any microsoft game on pc has to be done on the pc it is to be played on, you cannot transfer the game, same if you reset the pc you would have to download it again.

Microsoft went a different route with their games on pc compared to steam or epic.

they place the games in an encrypted folder and cannot be moved.

if you dont have a lot of internal space you would need to connect the external hdd, go to settings, storage - choose where items are saved to and then change where apps are installed to and choose the external drive, it will then creat several encrypted
    folders.
Thema:

1. Cannot change where I install games - Similar Threads - Cannot change where

2. I cannot log into Microsoft after successfully changing my password

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot log into Microsoft after successfully changing my password: Over last two days I have had to change my Microsoft password. I receive a message each time that it has been successfully changed yet when I try to use this password the message states it is...
  3. I subscribe £12.49 for card game. Cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop

in XBoX Accessibility
    I subscribe £12.49 for card game. Cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop: I subscribe £12.49 for microsoft card game. I cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop a3cd29da-19dd-4e27-8303-261b0705dd64
  4. I cannot play minecraft multiplayers even though i have changed my privacy setting (i am...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cannot play minecraft multiplayers even though i have changed my privacy setting (i am...: I cannot play minecraft multiplayer despite having changed the privacy settings. 1dbbc217-a165-4499-ae9f-7d7117f9c153
  5. How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change...: How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change it and I am the only member in the family app and can't find any setting for it as the internet searches...
  6. Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...: really strange as many accounts have above 12 characters? adbf22f4-f553-421f-b73b-1caacf7f96f3
  7. I have an account with microsoft and outlook but i had my phone number changed and i cannot...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an account with microsoft and outlook but i had my phone number changed and i cannot...: I also have a gamepass account that im being charged for and cant get into and have never even used it. Please help I have been locked out of my account for probably a year or more now but I'm...
  8. Cannot Change Minecraft Java Username.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cannot Change Minecraft Java Username.: I am logged into the account associated with my minecraft account and whenever I go online to change my username or skin, I am not provided with the drop down menu. Instead it is asking me to buy...
  9. My account was hacked, changed password email everything, i want it back cannot hget any...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My account was hacked, changed password email everything, i want it back cannot hget any...: do you guys know where can i talk to an actual human being about this? 4ced2614-785f-4639-b971-21eba2a4cd2d
  10. I cannot change my Xbox gamertag in the Philippine region, all I get is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot change my Xbox gamertag in the Philippine region, all I get is...: Title says it all. I am trying to change my Gamertag on Xbox but all I get is the error "App-MissingPrerequisites clrfszx5RaunACp9jYGCsE.0.1" It tells me to try again later but I have already...