Cannot change installation directory in the Xbox App - the directory selection prompt opens...

Discus and support Cannot change installation directory in the Xbox App - the directory selection prompt opens... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As the thread title states, i cannot install any games since i cannot set an installation directory. As soon as the explorer dialog opens it freezes... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by SkacikPL, Mar 3, 2023.

1. SkacikPL
    SkacikPL Guest

Cannot change installation directory in the Xbox App - the directory selection prompt opens...

As the thread title states, i cannot install any games since i cannot set an installation directory.

As soon as the explorer dialog opens it freezes then disappears locking up entire Xbox app as if the dialog was still open.

According to event log, it crashes in two places:
    Fault bucket 1505179507315087964, type 5

Event Name: MoBEX

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Microsoft.GamingApp_2302.1001.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

P2: praid:Microsoft.Xbox.App

P3: 2302.1001.13.0

P4: 63f01bf7

P5: ntdll.dll

P6: 10.0.22621.1344

P7: 8381da15

P8: 00000000000a3346

P9: c0000409

P10: 0000000000000030

Faulting application name: XboxAppServices.exe, version: 2302.1001.13.0, time stamp: 0x63f01bf7

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1344, time stamp: 0x8381da15

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x00000000000a3346

Faulting process id: 0x0x7F3C

Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D94D2DBF8C7E6B

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingApp_2302.1001.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\XboxAppServices.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 2283cb20-10db-431e-be89-1a24007c2dac

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.GamingApp_2302.1001.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.Xbox.App

Tried reinstalling xbox app and its components, via store and powershell. Tried checking system with SFC and DISM, everything is okay. Drivers and system are up to date.

:)

SkacikPL, Mar 3, 2023
  2. SkacikPL Win User

Cannot change installation directory in the Xbox App - the directory selection prompt opens and then crashes

I'm sorry but did you even read my post?

Drivers and system are up to date.

I've already tried all google tricks regarding Xbox PC app and tried all generic troubleshooting steps provided both by google and the chat service provided in this help center.

To put it politely - i don't think any of the generic "start from zero, do this, click here" steps are applicable here.
  3. Dericka Win User

Cannot change installation directory in the Xbox App - the directory selection prompt opens and then crashes

Hi, I'm , an Independent advisor and I can surely help you.

Don't worry we will work on this together. Can you please check if your Windows has an update? if there is, please update it then restart your PC. Thanks!
  4. Dericka Win User

Oh, I see. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If this is the case, this means the issue is on your PC. The last resort is to format it. This will make your system good as new however you'll be needing to reinstall all your files.
  5. XBF Ezra G Win User

¿Cómo puedo instalar juegos en una ruta específica?[How can I install games in a specific path?]

Hello Sergio,

Thank you for your post. I understand you are looking to change the installation directory of games obtained through the Xbox App. To change the installation folder, please open your Xbox App, select your profile icon and choose settings, form settings select
    the General tab. Under General there is an option to change the default installation folder for games.

I hope this helps.
  6. quinzeh Win User

Xbox PC app - Can't change game installation folder

This has been such a tedious process, it's ridiculous how difficult it is to change something so simple as a game installation directory. I do however consider this particular issue to be a bug, since they're actually giving me the option to change the game installation directory in the Xbox app, but in my case changing it doesn't take effect. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.

Anyhow, I managed to "fix" the issue by deleting the following registry key; "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices". After deleting this reg key and restarting the Xbox app, I no longer get the option to select a specific game installation directory in the app, but it does still allow me to select a drive. Selecting the D: drive now automatically installs the games in the D:\WindowsApps folder like it used to before this issue occurred.
Thema:

1. Cannot change installation directory in the Xbox App - the directory selection prompt opens... - Similar Threads - Cannot change installation

2. I cannot log into Microsoft after successfully changing my password

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot log into Microsoft after successfully changing my password: Over last two days I have had to change my Microsoft password. I receive a message each time that it has been successfully changed yet when I try to use this password the message states it is...
  3. I subscribe £12.49 for card game. Cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop

in XBoX Accessibility
    I subscribe £12.49 for card game. Cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop: I subscribe £12.49 for microsoft card game. I cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop a3cd29da-19dd-4e27-8303-261b0705dd64
  4. I cannot play minecraft multiplayers even though i have changed my privacy setting (i am...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cannot play minecraft multiplayers even though i have changed my privacy setting (i am...: I cannot play minecraft multiplayer despite having changed the privacy settings. 1dbbc217-a165-4499-ae9f-7d7117f9c153
  5. How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change...: How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change it and I am the only member in the family app and can't find any setting for it as the internet searches...
  6. Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...: really strange as many accounts have above 12 characters? adbf22f4-f553-421f-b73b-1caacf7f96f3
  7. I have an account with microsoft and outlook but i had my phone number changed and i cannot...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an account with microsoft and outlook but i had my phone number changed and i cannot...: I also have a gamepass account that im being charged for and cant get into and have never even used it. Please help I have been locked out of my account for probably a year or more now but I'm...
  8. Cannot Change Minecraft Java Username.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cannot Change Minecraft Java Username.: I am logged into the account associated with my minecraft account and whenever I go online to change my username or skin, I am not provided with the drop down menu. Instead it is asking me to buy...
  9. Cannot change default installation directory for xbox gamepass

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot change default installation directory for xbox gamepass: unable to change location as immeditly defaults back to C, support chat was less than useless stating it isnt possible despite this option being given on app (offered to screenshot but was told "I...
  10. cannot change path for installation

in XBoX on Consoles
    cannot change path for installation: Hi i cannot change my installation path from the c drive to my new drive d it changes back and when i try to change the folder it says that i need to use the c drive. When i mount the d drive on c...