Cannot change game install location in Xbox App. Every single install goes to the...

Discus and support Cannot change game install location in Xbox App. Every single install goes to the... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've been through 2 "Gamer" chats and 5 hours of troubleshooting at this point. I CANNOT in any way, shape or form, change the Install Location for any... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Zephire14, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Zephire14
    Zephire14 Guest

Cannot change game install location in Xbox App. Every single install goes to the...

I've been through 2 "Gamer" chats and 5 hours of troubleshooting at this point. I CANNOT in any way, shape or form, change the Install Location for any game I install to a different folder. Every single game installs to the "WindowsApps" folder. Even once installed, I am unable to move the location of the game.

So far I have:
    Used RegEdit to delete Gaming Services 2 separate times.
    Used Windows Powershell to default install all Microsoft Apps 2 separate times.
    Restarted my PC at least a dozen times at this point.
    Applied the Xbox Insider Beta.
    Repaired Gaming Services multiple times.
    Reset Gaming Services multiple times. <^both from Settings > Apps in Windows.
    Reset and Repaired the Xbox app multiple times.

I don't know what to do. I JUST want my installs to get the hell out of the WindowsApps folder. That's literally it. Nothing else. I just don't want them there anymore. I cannot forcibly remove them from the folder, I cannot delete anything once its in the folder, I cannot change or edit that folder in any way despite me being the Admin of my own PC....

:)

Zephire14, Mar 5, 2022
  2. Obdimus Win User

Cannot change game install location in Xbox App. Every single install goes to the WindowsApps folder.

I'm having basically the exact same problem. No matter how many times I change the install location settings in the Xbox app, the changes will not save at all, and the games will only install to the folder on my D drive that I had selected before this problem started occurring. I tried everything I know how, and none of it worked, which leads me to believe that this is a bug on Microsoft's end, specifically in the Xbox app itself.

The full details of every troubleshooting step I tried are in this post: Xbox App doesn't let me change install folders in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
  3. Zephire14 Win User

Cannot change game install location in Xbox App. Every single install goes to the WindowsApps folder.

I had to double check to confirm, but even games that don't show the warning text you showed aren't allowing me to change the install location.

Here's a quick .gif I took of me trying to change the location of Carrion. It doesn't matter which option I choose, neither of them let me change the file location.

https://i.imgur.com/pObi6gW.gif.

Even games that are already installed aren't able to be moved. I installed Among Us, which, according to the Xbox Insider criteria, SHOULD be allowed to have its Install Location changed, but it doesn't let me.

Since my first post above, I have ran 1 additional Reinstall of all the Default Microsoft Apps with Powershell, I have reinstalled Xbox Insider completely and restarted my computer 3 times.

Thanks again for the help.
  4. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

If you are running an insider version of the app you must report the issues and contact insider reddit for further support, remember that by joining insider software test you agree to the possibility of having some issues with the software as they are in a test state

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi Zephire14! My name is Ricardo an independent advisor ready to help you with this situation!

Apps are required to be in that folder in order to work and in any drive you want to install games the folder will be created to install the games, if you wanna modify the files in the folder you have to take ownership of the folder, you can do that following this steps
    That's going to be changing very soon. In fact, users can easily sign up to be an insider for the Xbox App and test out the new up-coming installation features that will eventually be available to all users by default.

Advanced Installation and Management Features available for Insiders through the Xbox App for Windows

Without enabling the advanced install features, the default install folder is the encrypted 'WindowsApps' folder. This folder is encrypted and protected, changing the ownership will have no effect on this.

The insiders advanced features option can install supported games to any directory, and unlike the WindowsApps folder, these directories are not protected. Supported games are ones where 'Administration approval required for installation' is listed on the download screen.
  6. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Hi Zephire14! My name is Ricardo an independent advisor ready to help you with this situation!

Apps are required to be in that folder in order to work and in any drive you want to install games the folder will be created to install the games, if you wanna modify the files in the folder you have to take ownership of the folder, you can do that following this steps

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-w...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Thema:

1. Cannot change game install location in Xbox App. Every single install goes to the... - Similar Threads - Cannot change game

2. I cannot log into Microsoft after successfully changing my password

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot log into Microsoft after successfully changing my password: Over last two days I have had to change my Microsoft password. I receive a message each time that it has been successfully changed yet when I try to use this password the message states it is...
  3. I subscribe £12.49 for card game. Cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop

in XBoX Accessibility
    I subscribe £12.49 for card game. Cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop: I subscribe £12.49 for microsoft card game. I cannot figure out how to access since changing laptop a3cd29da-19dd-4e27-8303-261b0705dd64
  4. I cannot play minecraft multiplayers even though i have changed my privacy setting (i am...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cannot play minecraft multiplayers even though i have changed my privacy setting (i am...: I cannot play minecraft multiplayer despite having changed the privacy settings. 1dbbc217-a165-4499-ae9f-7d7117f9c153
  5. How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change...: How do I remove content restrictions from cloud gaming? I cannot locate anywhere to change it and I am the only member in the family app and can't find any setting for it as the internet searches...
  6. Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trying to change my username, but it says I cannot go above 12 characters, i haven’t seen...: really strange as many accounts have above 12 characters? adbf22f4-f553-421f-b73b-1caacf7f96f3
  7. I have an account with microsoft and outlook but i had my phone number changed and i cannot...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an account with microsoft and outlook but i had my phone number changed and i cannot...: I also have a gamepass account that im being charged for and cant get into and have never even used it. Please help I have been locked out of my account for probably a year or more now but I'm...
  8. Cannot Change Minecraft Java Username.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cannot Change Minecraft Java Username.: I am logged into the account associated with my minecraft account and whenever I go online to change my username or skin, I am not provided with the drop down menu. Instead it is asking me to buy...
  9. My account was hacked, changed password email everything, i want it back cannot hget any...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My account was hacked, changed password email everything, i want it back cannot hget any...: do you guys know where can i talk to an actual human being about this? 4ced2614-785f-4639-b971-21eba2a4cd2d
  10. Cannot change country/region when attempting to add payment method for xbox game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot change country/region when attempting to add payment method for xbox game pass: I'm trying to sign up for XBOX game pass, but I can't change the country/region when doing so. I'm not in the US, and Game pass is available in Norway. The drop-down menu to change the...