Can you set Game Updates to an external storage by default?

Discus and support Can you set Game Updates to an external storage by default? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have a usb external hard drive to store all my Xbox games. I’m aware that all the newer series X/S games need to be installed in the internal storage... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by LuiJoD, Apr 13, 2023.

1. LuiJoD
    LuiJoD Guest

I have a usb external hard drive to store all my Xbox games. I’m aware that all the newer series X/S games need to be installed in the internal storage or sea gate card if I want to PLAY them.

But since upgrading to an Xbox Series S whenever I try to update any of my games it defaults to installing to my internal storage. I’ve changed the settings on the console so that everything installs to my external drive by default.

Despite doing this in the system menu if I try to update/patch any game it just makes a fresh install into the internal drive. This then forces me to have to manually instruct the console to move the new files to my storage.

This is very inefficient and is an issue I never had with my Xbox One. I’m still using the same external drive I had with my Xbox One. Non X/S games run with no issues and when I initially plugged in the drive it never asked me to format.

How can I get the console to recognize the external drive install location to update my stored games instead of it trying to do an all new installation of the game into my internal drive?

:)

LuiJoD, Apr 13, 2023
  2. StuartATrueRed Win User

Updates will always update to the storage device the game is on. There is no way around it. Updates for the Xbox One/Series X|S will go over the files that are already installed. So it will only add more if the game gets more content.

As for updates, doing a fresh installation. These will be upgrading the game, so it has better visuals and 4K assets, which in most cases is a more up-to-date version of the game specifically built for the Series X|S. Hence, why it defaults to the internal storage.
  3. Jonny306 Win User

Hello there!

My name is Jonny and I will be assisting you today!

First, thank you so much for contacting us regarding your inquiry/ concern.

Updates will be installed in the same location the game is installed. They won't and can't install separately.
  4. Jurgen1488 Win User

Loading games off external Hard drive doesn't work (Xbox One)

In the storage setup, try selecting the external HDD as your default storage. If this does not work, try installing the game again on the external hard disk, with the default setting being set at the time of installation.
  5. onyxishere Win User

Consumer's Rights

On the Xbox One game saves are stored both on the console and the cloud for easy access at any location. As for game install storage you can add external drives ranging in size from 256 GB to 16 TB for plenty of storage space for your games and DLC. The
    external storage can be set as the default storage if you so choose.
  6. IceStorm III Win User

Xbox One External USB 3.0, 7,200, 1TB HDD

The OS stays on the internal HDD. You can set the Xbox One to install games to the external storage device by default. You can also move all your stuff over to the external drive.
Thema:

1. Can you set Game Updates to an external storage by default? - Similar Threads - set Game Updates

2. How do i get game bar capture to record my mic when it is set to record everything?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do i get game bar capture to record my mic when it is set to record everything?: My game bar will record everything but my mic when it is set to record everything. When it is set to record the game and mic it will record the game and my mic. I have tried to repair and reset...
  3. Why are my specific dead zone settings on my elite series 2 not registering in game it’s...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are my specific dead zone settings on my elite series 2 not registering in game it’s...: It’s acting as if it isn’t recognizing my specific settings which is weird because sometimes it does and other times it doesn’t and it just started happening after I synced it to a series x...
  4. My Game Bar recording does not work unless I turn it off and back on in settings.

in XBoX on Windows
    My Game Bar recording does not work unless I turn it off and back on in settings.: When I go to open Game bar with a game running and go to record what happened its always grayed out saying its "Gaming features aren't available for the Windows desktop or File explorer". When I...
  5. The account I have set for my home Xbox has game pass ultimate but unless that account is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    The account I have set for my home Xbox has game pass ultimate but unless that account is...: So the account I have set on my console as my home Xbox account has the game pass ultimate subscription but when I sign into my account I can't access multiplayer games unless I have that account...
  6. Did they every set up digital selling your games like Phil said?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Did they every set up digital selling your games like Phil said?: AT this point our library isn't going to mean much going forward would love a way to sell off my games. He said it at on of the old E3 I think. 6445dbf6-2211-4ec7-8585-32e8edf2ebc1
  7. Help, xbox game bar not showing up in settings

in XboX Insiders
    Help, xbox game bar not showing up in settings: i was trying to fix my party chat because it wasnt letting me talk even though it showed it was picking it up, so after going to tons of trouble shooting i went and did the simple thing, delete...
  8. my voice chat isnt working in any games and ive set all the settings to public, what should...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    my voice chat isnt working in any games and ive set all the settings to public, what should...: my voice chat isnt working in any games and ive set all the settings to public, what should i do? 370a1b5b-f8b7-4a82-85b4-9b70f152e643
  9. My xbox one loads to dashboard but non of my games or apps show up. Also settings won't load

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one loads to dashboard but non of my games or apps show up. Also settings won't load: I have had my xbox one for a while it was loading a couple of days ago. However the next time I tried to boot it up it loaded to the dashboard but showing no games or apps just the top icons and...
  10. Uploads gaming capture. Capture privacy is set to private. Capture is of in game cut scene....

in XBoX Accessibility
    Uploads gaming capture. Capture privacy is set to private. Capture is of in game cut scene....: In the middle of playing Baldur's Gate 3 I got a notification that my account has been temporarily suspended. I was panicked but more so extremely confused, I almost thought my account had been...