Can someone else use my Gamertag after I change?

Discus and support Can someone else use my Gamertag after I change? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; It's possible to change Gamertag in Xbox. So, I was wondering if someone else can claim my Gamertag/Username or not after I change mine into something... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by TabibRh009, Nov 8, 2021.

1. TabibRh009
    TabibRh009 Guest

It's possible to change Gamertag in Xbox. So, I was wondering if someone else can claim my Gamertag/Username or not after I change mine into something else. If they can, then is there any specific time when they can like suppose someone else can claim it after 3/6/9 months passes?

Edit : Or is it somewhat like Outlook? In Outlook, someone else cannot claim my address after I change it.

:)

TabibRh009, Nov 8, 2021
  2. Smwutches Win User

To clarify, it's not immediate, but it is made available for others. It takes time for the servers to update after you've changed your tag, but the length of time for it to free up is unknown.
  3. Francia J. Win User

Hi, I hope you're doing great out there despite the issue that you're experiencing. I am an Independent advisor and I am here to help you in regards to your concern.

After you have change your Gamertag into something else it will be immediately available to everyone.
  4. SONIC SCREAM 07 Win User

Interesting Gamertag is taken but doesn't exist

[quote user="Iron5hock"]

Alright. This helped alot. Does anyone know if once a gamertag becomes available after someone changes it? And if a moderator sees this, can they remove my e-mail address from my post?

[/quote]

Yes if you change the gamertag, it becomes available for someone else to use it, unless it was a Forced Name Change, in which case it will not become available.
  5. EzequielNeves19 Win User

Can’t access old account?

Hello Tubularfool how are you?

My name is Ezequiel I'm an Independent Consultant.

I believe the Gamertag was used by someone else.

When you cancel your account or change your gamertag, your old gamertag becomes valid so that anyone can use it again, I believe the name is available and someone else took it and is using it.
  6. Judge Win User

if I change the gamertag, someone else can use my old one?

Its quite simple. Once you change your GamerTag ANYONE can then select that GamerTag. You don't need to wait 10 years. I think some people are getting confused and are thinking about GamerTags that were made but not actively being used. There is a big difference.
    GamerTags that are not being used actively are still tied into someones account and therefore not able to be selected. GamerTags that you voluntarily change become available right away. For example, if you wanted to change the casing of your letters in your
    GamerTag you can change to something else, then change it back to the tag you had, and just change the lettering capitalization. It is the same tag you had just looks different. That right there proves that your tag is available to ANYONE to select once you
    change it.
Thema:

1. Can someone else use my Gamertag after I change? - Similar Threads - someone else Gamertag

2. How do I get my bans lifted if someone else has been signing into my account and purposely...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I get my bans lifted if someone else has been signing into my account and purposely...: I gave my account information to my ex because we used to play games together and I shared mine with him. Lately he’s been logging onto my account and saying things to his friends account which...
  3. Why does your team not see the someone else is framing my account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does your team not see the someone else is framing my account: So I am here to say why is your team not finding proof the tickets on my Xbox account are false and not true sir Doug * Original title: Why does your team see the someone else is framing my...
  4. Why has my new my laptop came with someone elses xbox account .

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why has my new my laptop came with someone elses xbox account .: I have subscribed to the 3 month xbox games pass which came with my laptop. However, someone elses username/account is on here. On trying to access games I cant as the already-user is underage! I...
  5. xbox app on pc keeps logging me into someone elses account and wont let me change users

in XBoX Accessibility
    xbox app on pc keeps logging me into someone elses account and wont let me change users: I'm setting up a new pc. Trying to download games to try on it. I log into my account on firefox with no issues. But when I launch the app on the pc it keeps logging me into a similar but...
  6. Why does your team see the someone else is framing my account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does your team see the someone else is framing my account: So I am here to say why is your team not finding proof the tickets on my Xbox account are false and not true sir Doug cd42e968-d8be-430e-956c-44beafc761c6
  7. My Microsoft account got hacked and someone changed the email to something else and the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Microsoft account got hacked and someone changed the email to something else and the...: I woke up recently to an email stating that someone logged into my Microsoft account, changed my email, and then changed my password. I tried logging back in but it says that the account does not...
  8. Someone else's credit card showing up on my account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Someone else's credit card showing up on my account?: So, I have a very interesting issue happen to me recently. I went to purchase a game on the Microsoft Store and I noticed someone else's credit card information was the default card on file. My...
  9. How do I play Minecraft with someone else?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I play Minecraft with someone else?: For 3 years now, my son begs me to play Minecraft with him. It’s so frustrating because we simply cannot play together. We’ve reinstalled iOS many times, I’ve even bought two iPads solely for the...
  10. Can you get xbox to give you someone else's username that hasn't played in years

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you get xbox to give you someone else's username that hasn't played in years: There is an account name I needed on xbox to suit the other names on platforms but the account username is taken by an inactive person so maybe someone help me with it please...