Can I use an HDMI Splitter, 1 in 2 out, with my Xbox One X?

Discus and support Can I use an HDMI Splitter, 1 in 2 out, with my Xbox One X? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I used an HDMI Splitter with my Xbox One X for about 1 month and then my Xbox would not turn on anymore. I had to get a replacement Xbox One X. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by OblivionKeyo, Feb 21, 2020.

1. OblivionKeyo
    OblivionKeyo Guest

I used an HDMI Splitter with my Xbox One X for about 1 month and then my Xbox would not turn on anymore. I had to get a replacement Xbox One X. I bought a different brand of Splitter and am wondering if there are ways to keep this from happening again.
    I do not know for sure if Splitter was the cause of broken Xbox. I want to know what specification/brand of Splitter is best and what procedures, if any, I need to use to keep splitter from damaging my TV, Xbox, or Elgato Game Capture Card? I read that you
    should not hotplug HDMI cables in or out with power on, for instance. I have Xbox One X input with a 1 foot HDMI cable going into OREI 1080p 1 in 2 out Splitter. I have a 6 ft HDMI cable going out from splitter into TV and a 30 ft HDMI cable going out of
    splitter into Elgato Game Capture Card inside my PC. When I first turned on Xbox, screen came on TV, then went black, came on again, and then went black. I unplugged power from splitter and unplugged all the cables and put them back. Then, my Xbox would
    not even turn on. I then unplugged splitter again and switched the 2 output cables. Now the tv and elgato both have picture like they should. I am just worried that splitter will damage my tv, or Xbox, or Elgato. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

David

:)

OblivionKeyo, Feb 21, 2020
  2. DanielCoon Win User

Does anyone know if the HDMI pass through will work when the XB1 is off?

Get a 1xHDMI IN to 2xHDMI OUT splitter and a total of 4 HDMI leads.

1. Plug the HDMI lead from your cable box into the HDMI IN port on the splitter

2. Plug a HDMI lead into one HDMI OUT port on the splitter and into the HDMI IN port on you xbox

3. Plug another HDMI lead from the Xbox One into HDMI 1 on your TV (lie normal)

4. Plug one last HDMI lead from the other HDMI OUT port port on the splitter to HDMI 2 on the TV

Now you "should" have the Xbox One on HDMI 1 with TV and all the bells and whistles but if you use HDMI 2 then you should still have access to TV directly. Please note I haven't tried this yet (sitting here waiting for my Xbox) but I might have to if my
    wife hates using it through the Xbox, however I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
  3. WonDown Win User

Question about hdmi splitter and connecting through the cable box

You are actually using a HDMI switch, which is different from a splitter. You need a 1 in 2 out HDMI splitter. You will connect the HDMI from you cable/sat box to the splitter, then 1 HDMI from the splitter directly to your TV to watch like normal. Then
    the other HDMI from the splitter to your Xbox one HDMI input, and another HDMI from Xbox one output to the TV. Check out the video like I posted for more info.

Watch "Xbox One Cable Box HDMI Splitter" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH1G3-yw-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  4. DanielCoon Win User

Use hdmi in when off

If it doesn't and I've seen a couple of people on here say it doesn't then do this if you need the direct TV input.

Get a 1xHDMI IN to 2xHDMI OUT splitter and a total of 4 HDMI leads.

1. Plug the HDMI lead from your cable box into the HDMI IN port on the splitter

2. Plug a HDMI lead into one HDMI OUT port on the splitter and into the HDMI IN port on you xbox

3. Plug another HDMI lead from the Xbox One into HDMI 1 on your TV (lie normal)

4. Plug one last HDMI lead from the other HDMI OUT port port on the splitter to HDMI 2 on the TV

Now you "should" have the Xbox One on HDMI 1 with TV and all the bells and whistles but if you use HDMI 2 then you should still have access to TV directly. Please note I haven't tried this yet (sitting here waiting for my Xbox) but I might have to if my
    wife hates using it through the Xbox, however I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Sorry I've posted this in a few places but I thought it might help the OP's
  5. Warlok9 Win User

Question about hdmi splitter and connecting through the cable box

[quote user="WonDown"]
    You are actually using a HDMI switch, which is different from a splitter. You need a 1 in 2 out HDMI splitter. You will connect the HDMI from you cable/sat box to the splitter, then 1 HDMI from the splitter directly to your TV to watch like normal. Then
    the other HDMI from the splitter to your Xbox one HDMI input, and another HDMI from Xbox one output to the TV. Check out the video like I posted for more info.

Watch "Xbox One Cable Box HDMI Splitter" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH1G3-yw-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[/quote] Thanks for that video. J was going to do this, but was reading that Xfinity/Comcast boxes detect splitters as copying devices and the box locks out. Can you confirm your cable provider and cable box model? Also, how was your xb1 shutting off when you
    switched inputs?
  6. OUgroundGAME Win User

How I feel I spent my 500 bucks.

Problem @Merlin, most HDMI splitters are 1 out, 2 in. You need 2 out, 1 in. I have an HDMI running from the 2nd port of my TV, & another from the in port of my One. When I'm using the One, I plug that HDMI to my cable box, then switch it after I'm done so
    the wife can watch w/o the One on.
Thema:

1. Can I use an HDMI Splitter, 1 in 2 out, with my Xbox One X? - Similar Threads - HDMI Splitter

2. Is There an HDMI Splitter That Won't Diminish Video Quality of Xbox?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is There an HDMI Splitter That Won't Diminish Video Quality of Xbox?: I have a new OLED 4K TV with a new Denon 4K receiver. Suffice it to say, the video displayed from the Xbox looks fantastic when it's connected directly to the TV. I mean B-E-A-utiful. Now I'm...
  3. HDMI splitter at 120hz

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDMI splitter at 120hz: I need to buy a HDMI splitter @ 120hz for my Xbox Series X. So I can duplicate the picture on my TV and monitor at the same time. I searched for many on Amazon. Which is best for Xbox series X...
  4. Trouble with Xbox, PC, HDMI Splitter and Capture Card - Help!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trouble with Xbox, PC, HDMI Splitter and Capture Card - Help!: Hi, I am trying to help my son with his streaming set up, but I have hit a roadblock. I did a little research and bought an HDMI splitter and a capture card. I have the splitter plugged into...
  5. Freesync (VRR) problems using an HDMI 2.0 splitter

in XboX Insiders
    Freesync (VRR) problems using an HDMI 2.0 splitter: I have this problem, I have an xbox x series and an HDMI 2.0 monitor that gives me 1080P 120HZ with Freesync activated. I bought an HDMI 2.O Splitter to have zero latency by doubling the signal to...
  6. Hdmi to optical splitter

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hdmi to optical splitter: i used the optical output to my av reciever and hdmi straight to my tv for my xbox one x my reciever was not hdmi 2.0 ready. Do you know of a good 4k 60 hz splitter (my tv is not 120 hz capable)...
  7. Problem Xbox and Splitter HDMI

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem Xbox and Splitter HDMI: Hi, I have this configuration: Xbox one X Monitor 4K with HDR 10 Splitter HDMI that support 4K and HDR10 HDMI Capture Card (connected with Usb at my Pc) The problem is if i want to use...
  8. Xbox One X USB's fail to power HDMI splitter when first turning on the console.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X USB's fail to power HDMI splitter when first turning on the console.: I bought this 4k 60hz capable HDMI splitter in order to allow my Xbox One X to effectively have two HDMI out ports. One goes to my 1440p monitor and the other goes to my 1080p TV. The splitter...
  9. XBOX One X - HDMI Splitter into Input

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX One X - HDMI Splitter into Input: So i purchased an HDMI switch and plugged it into the input of the XB One X, and it says no video found. Trying to have a Apple TV, Verizon FIOS, Steam Box, and PS3 all use the XBOX input and...
  10. Compatibale HDMI splitter or PC monitor

in XBoX on Consoles
    Compatibale HDMI splitter or PC monitor: Can somebody please help me regarding Dolby Digital sound output from the Xbox one and HDMI splitters. I recently purchased a HDMI splitter 1-4, to connect the Xbox to my PC monitor as well as my...