Can I track down my stolen xbox one using the serial number?

Discus and support Can I track down my stolen xbox one using the serial number? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; You would be able to log in to the commerce site and check what IP the person who logs in on your account is using, if it's applicable. Don't know if... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by e3predator, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Acidgen
    Acidgen Guest

You would be able to log in to the commerce site and check what IP the person who logs in on your account is using, if it's applicable. Don't know if it logs Xbox logins, if it does give that IP to the local police.

However, I would change my password on the account so they can't use your Xbox one online.

If they use your Xbox one online with auto sign it, they could (if there is an applicable app) check emails etc etc when that becomes available.

I don't think Microsoft enforcement team would do anything unless you have a case number at the police.

To sum up:

- Talk to the police, and make sure you get a case number

- Call Microsoft support and tell them about your stolen xbox and that you have a case number at the police.

(They should be able to help you, or at least give you an email to contact)

- Send all the necessary data to Microsoft.

- Lock your account, and remove your payment option if that is active on your xbox one.

- Call the insurance company, and have your case number ready.

- Get a new Xbox and hug the insurance company.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Adgn

Acidgen, May 6, 2014
  2. On the back of the xbox one is a Kensington security slot. (Read the manual of the xbox one) and youse it.

So stupid.... Microsoft is so smart to put this slot on the back and people don't youse it if they go in Holliday. Stupid.

The Kensington security slot is a anti-theft system which involves a lock and a rubberized metal cable attached to the lock to ensure that no one is able to steal the electronic device.

Terror Habanero, May 31, 2014
  3. Bazajaytee
    Bazajaytee Guest
    That is only really of any use if you have something solid to fasten the security cable to. Most people don't have that option in their houses and the console is on a TV stand etc which can easily be broken/lifted to remove the cables attachment from the
    other end.

Not really designed to stop house thefts.

Bazajaytee, May 31, 2014
  4. Can I track down my stolen xbox one using the serial number?

You should be able to get the serial number from MS. The issue with tracking it, is that its on the move and most likely heading to a pawnshop or sold in the secondary market on sites like Craigslist. Law Enforcement just doesn't have the resources to go
    on the hunt unless they have some type of suspect evidence to further the investigation, or have the serial numbers on the property that was stolen. SERIAL NUMBERS are critical. If the thief who stole your property pawned it and you were able to provide police
    your serial number you would get it back. That's because pawnshops have to store every item they buy for a month prior to selling it. This give police time to connect the serial number to pawned items. Use Trackmole.com to store all your property info. It's
    free, virtual, and you can mark your property stolen as well. Police are now using Trackmole when they come across property on warrants or general arrests and contacts like a guy walking around with an Xbox. It allows them to contact you immediately. Its worth
    the time to do it as you've experienced it.

Player353387379, Oct 31, 2018
  5. Bazajaytee Win User

That is only really of any use if you have something solid to fasten the security cable to. Most people don't have that option in their houses and the console is on a TV stand etc which can easily be broken/lifted to remove the cables attachment from the
    other end.

Not really designed to stop house thefts.
  6. Terror Habanero Win User

On the back of the xbox one is a Kensington security slot. (Read the manual of the xbox one) and youse it.

So stupid.... Microsoft is so smart to put this slot on the back and people don't youse it if they go in Holliday. Stupid.

The Kensington security slot is a anti-theft system which involves a lock and a rubberized metal cable attached to the lock to ensure that no one is able to steal the electronic device.
  7. Acidgen Win User

You would be able to log in to the commerce site and check what IP the person who logs in on your account is using, if it's applicable. Don't know if it logs Xbox logins, if it does give that IP to the local police.

However, I would change my password on the account so they can't use your Xbox one online.

If they use your Xbox one online with auto sign it, they could (if there is an applicable app) check emails etc etc when that becomes available.

I don't think Microsoft enforcement team would do anything unless you have a case number at the police.

To sum up:

- Talk to the police, and make sure you get a case number

- Call Microsoft support and tell them about your stolen xbox and that you have a case number at the police.

(They should be able to help you, or at least give you an email to contact)

- Send all the necessary data to Microsoft.

- Lock your account, and remove your payment option if that is active on your xbox one.

- Call the insurance company, and have your case number ready.

- Get a new Xbox and hug the insurance company.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Adgn
  8. bigbenx88 Win User

Oh, and as for how enforcement, or even the customer care team can track a console with the serial number is the serial number is tied to a console ID number, which is logged every time the machine logs onto Xbox live. That's how they track and then block
    that IP. The police use the serial number to track it through places like Pawn Shops and retail trade outlets like Gamestop and the like.
  9. bigbenx88 Win User

Yes you can. The 360 has a sticker on the bottom that has the console serial number and the X1 has one on the top.
Thema:

1. Can I track down my stolen xbox one using the serial number? - Similar Threads - track down stolen

2. Why does Spotify pause a moment near end of every track?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does Spotify pause a moment near end of every track?: On my Xbox Series X, my Spotify app will pause for about 1 second near the end of every single track. It is usually around 20 seconds from the end. I am using a wired internet connection, directly...
  3. Is there a separate tracking order to the accessories from my controller when i shipped it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a separate tracking order to the accessories from my controller when i shipped it...: [img] I got my elite series 2 controller serviced and i shipped the controller that comes in its own case with all the accessories in it and i was just wondering if im even going to get that back...
  4. Xbox connects back get stuff like eye tracking and hand gestures

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox connects back get stuff like eye tracking and hand gestures: I’m wondering if Microsoft might be wanting to bring the Connex back with features and like eye tracking and hand gestures back. I would be awesome to be able to use hand gestures with Xbox like...
  5. Why are my Achievements not tracking and getting my reward 5 points for Microsoft rewards?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why are my Achievements not tracking and getting my reward 5 points for Microsoft rewards?: I've been earning achievements but they're not tracking in the leaderboards it says I have zero but I have the achievement unlocked and I'm not getting my Five Points for Microsoft rewards...
  6. Xbox 360 Trials Evolution Track Central down

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 Trials Evolution Track Central down: Hey there, so for a long time Track Central on Trials Evolution on the 360 has been down (option is greyed out). This game has been published by Microsoft so I thought I'd post it here. Figured...
  7. CAN I TRACK DOWN THE IDENTITY OF A LAPTOP OR XBOX OWNER WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER?!

in XBoX on Consoles
    CAN I TRACK DOWN THE IDENTITY OF A LAPTOP OR XBOX OWNER WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER?!: Since 2019, I noticed an XBox I've never purchased attached to my Microsoft account. Everything internet related to Gmail to social networking apps to online accounts has been constantly...
  8. How can I track down my Xbox one when it was stolen and I can’t turn it on

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I track down my Xbox one when it was stolen and I can’t turn it on: My xbox one got stolen i have the serial number and when i go to find device it tells me to turn it on i have no way of turning it on cause it got stolen 9fab1b8b-2c3c-450a-93d8-de76c1edd215
  9. how can i track down my xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    how can i track down my xbox: my xbox one was stolen and i was wondering if i could lock it from my laptop can anyone tell me if they know 265d8c32-4914-43fe-8bd6-ffbbfc8286d6
  10. Stolen Xbox 1 - trying to track it down

in XBoX on Consoles
    Stolen Xbox 1 - trying to track it down: Is it possible to track your xbox with the serial number?" a3254e67-05da-4b13-a5d4-0de2fd14bfdd