Can a wireless controller's connection become faulty due to hardware age and use?

Discus and support Can a wireless controller's connection become faulty due to hardware age and use? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; To keep it short, I've been using a Volcano Shadow controller since mid-2019, I got it earlier in the year but hadn't swapped yet. For the past 3-4... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Odyss3us SW4G, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Can a wireless controller's connection become faulty due to hardware age and use?

To keep it short, I've been using a Volcano Shadow controller since mid-2019, I got it earlier in the year but hadn't swapped yet. For the past 3-4 days I've been having connection issues on it where the home button will randomly flash. Sometimes it will work for long stretches, sometimes it won't. I've tested power cycling the controller, the console, checked different batteries, re-syncing it, using a wire and still it will flash. There's also no updates for the controller, the software is current. While my sync button on my console doesn't work now, I was able to sync my previous controller via a cable and it will hold a wireless connection.

Is this just a faulty hardware issue or is there something else? Obviously it would wear out eventually but in 4 years?

:)

Odyss3us SW4G, Mar 21, 2023
  2. Georges C. Win User

Can a wireless controller's connection become faulty due to hardware age and use?

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Odyss3us, it can happen but it's really rare that this happens with the control, sometimes it can be the console's receiving card that has a problem.

You mention that you have already done some procedures, have you tried to reset the console with games and Apps?

Another test you could try is to try plugging your controller into another Xbox console to see if the same thing happens.
  3. Odyss3us SW4G Win User

Hello Georges, no I have not tried a factory reset yet as I want to explore all other options first. My brother picked up my controller and he's going to relay if he has any troubles with it.

If it was the receiving card in the console itself having issues, wouldn't the second controller that I mentioned also be having connection problems? I suppose my console could have just gotten "stuck" in a bugged state as it appears the sync button works again.
  4. PaPaJiMbO1 Win User

Wired controlers

Sounds like a hardware issue. Unfortunatelyfrom experiencethe wired controllers aren't very robust and do become faulty with regards to connection. However,as others have said the xbox one can have 3 pads plugged in Or more if you include wireless
  5. pzych0 Win User

Wireless Controller faulty wireless hardware?

Thanks for your answer DangerousBard. However none of my equipment is under warranty anymore.

Thanks none the less. :)

BUT... Weirdest thing just happened. I tried disassembling the controller, and tried turning it on without casing, and funny thing is, it connected... o_O

Assembled it again, and is now working fine. Strangest thing.
  6. DangerousBard Win User

Wireless Controller faulty wireless hardware?

Indeed the damage caused by that drop might have caused this issue. I suggest you to register your console and ask for a repair of your controller:

myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx
Thema:

1. Can a wireless controller's connection become faulty due to hardware age and use? - Similar Threads - wireless controller's connection

2. Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues: So my controller is becoming unresponsive, at times no form of input gets a response and sometimes just straight up disconnects. Pad is always connected via USB cable, never via Bluetooth. I've...
  3. How do I rename Xbox Controllers connected to PC via Xbox Wireless Receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I rename Xbox Controllers connected to PC via Xbox Wireless Receiver?: I have 4 Xbox Wireless Controllers connected to a Windows 10 PC, via an Xbox Wireless Receiver. All 4 controllers are identified identically in the system. Trying to distinguish one from another...
  4. Connection issue with the XBOX Wireless Controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Connection issue with the XBOX Wireless Controller: It startet yesterday evening, when my controller turned itself off while I was playing. I didn't think much of it, just turned it on again and played on. But it happened more frequently...
  5. For anyone struggling to connect their XBOX controller wirelessly through bluetooth (ie...

in XBoX on Consoles
    For anyone struggling to connect their XBOX controller wirelessly through bluetooth (ie...: I spent weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't connect my Bluetooth devices to Windows 10. I built my pc by myself so for the longest time I thought maybe I had installed something wrong. After...
  6. Why does my controller disconnect when I connect my wireless turtle beach headset to my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller disconnect when I connect my wireless turtle beach headset to my...: When I connect my wireless headset it assigns to my controller/profile. While I’m playing certain games (nba 2k24) it will disconnect my controller as if it’s not on but the controller will still...
  7. Hi I am struggling with connecting the360 wireless x box controller to my Lenovo Yoga pc...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hi I am struggling with connecting the360 wireless x box controller to my Lenovo Yoga pc...: Device name Lenovo Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1335U 1.30 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.73 GB usable) Device ID CFEA32CE-B35A-4D52-93AC-5E5CE0BF27F5 Product ID...
  8. New Xbox wireless controller won't connect to my Windows 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox wireless controller won't connect to my Windows 10: Few days ago I got a new Xbox wireless controller, I've connected it to one Windows 10 laptop and it worked perfectly. Few days later I tried connecting it to another Windows 10 laptop and it...
  9. Does Xbox Wireless Controller – Stormcloud Vapor Special Edition connect to Nintendo Switch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does Xbox Wireless Controller – Stormcloud Vapor Special Edition connect to Nintendo Switch?: I am curious does this controller connect to Nintendo switch by any chance? My kids would like to know. :) 5263b71b-121b-4c94-af30-5035986de98b
  10. Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core won't connect via bluetooth on PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core won't connect via bluetooth on PC: I just bought an Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core for my PC use. The Bluetooth works fine at the beginning. But the Xbox bar shows up whenever I push the A button. So I...