Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

Discus and support Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, This is a bit of a weird ask, I know, and I've seen a couple of simelar posts that ask the same sort of question, but I don't think a... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by TJLewis, Jun 29, 2020.

  1. TJLewis
    TJLewis Guest

    Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?


    Hello Everyone,

    This is a bit of a weird ask, I know, and I've seen a couple of simelar posts that ask the same sort of question, but I don't think a definitive conclusion was ever reached.

    Here's the story:

    I purchased Trials Fusion The Awesome Max Edition as a disc based Xbox One game a few years ago. This game is completely installed on my Xbox One right now. Unfortunately, and as a result of an act of dog, the disc has become damaged and unplayable (that
    is... I'm too scared to try putting it back into the console in the condition it's in now).

    What I want to know is, if I were to go to the Microsoft Store and repurchase this game in its digital version (which I'm perfectly happy to do), could I then continue to play Trails Fusion with the installation that's on my Xbox One, or would I have to
    delete the installation and redownload everything after purchasing digital?

    If anyone has had anything like this happen / has ever tried this, could they let me know how it worked out?

    Thanks.

    PS: Have just discovered that the Microsoft Store considers that I already own this game, so I guess I don't need to repurchase it (Yay!).

    :)
     
    TJLewis, Jun 29, 2020
    #1
  2. luissolid Win User

    Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

    Hello just to clarify... When you install a game from a retail disc or digital they use the same file. So for example a friend take his game (disc) and install on your console, then you purchase the game from the xbox store and you dont need to download
    the game again.

    Regards!
  3. Smwutches Win User

    Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

    If you do have to do this in the future, no, you wouldn't have to uninstall and then reinstall the game. You may have a small install for a license or something though.
  4. TJLewis Win User

    Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

    Thanks Smwutches and luissolid,

    I'll give it a go now.

    Guess the moral of the story here is, put your game discs away securly (and where neighbour's curious pets can't get at them) when you're finished with them.
  5. XBF Leo G Win User

    Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

    Hi TJLewis,

    Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. Since the question has been answered, I will go ahead and lock this thread. Feel free to come back anytime
    if you have a question or issue. We will be more than happy to answer any questions and provide solutions. Thank you again and have a good day
    TJLewis!
  6. XBF Meryem R Win User

    Xbox game disc hard copy need assistance

    Hello there!

    Unfortunately the Xbox Series S does not support physical disc based games. Therefore, you will need to repurchase the digital versions of those games in order to play them.
Thema:

Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

Loading...
  1. Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game? - Similar Threads - disc based game

  2. Disc to Digital is now live for everyone! (Omega tier user with no previous access)

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital is now live for everyone! (Omega tier user with no previous access): Make sure you restart your Xbox don't just turn it on and off. submitted by /u/AstroZombie1 [link] [comments]
  3. No option to claim digital license for Witcher 3 Disc Delta Insider Ring

    in XboX Insiders
    No option to claim digital license for Witcher 3 Disc Delta Insider Ring: When I insert the disc and try to open the menu, I'm not seeing any option to claim the digital license at all. If I look at the file info, I get a lot of information about the content/product id...
  4. Xbox series X disc to digital issues

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series X disc to digital issues: Howdy all! I have been an insider for about 10 years now and just found this subreddit today! I am trying to do the disc to digital and it’s not giving me the option. I am updated to latest and...
  5. Disc to Digital Discussion Megathread - Week of September 21st, 2026

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Discussion Megathread - Week of September 21st, 2026: Hello XBOX Insiders! After the Announcement about the new Disc to Digital feature, it has begun rolling out to XBOX Insiders enrolled in the XBOX Update Preview. Please use this thread for all...
  6. I applied for insiders for disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    I applied for insiders for disc to digital: I applied four days ago and still haven't got the update. How much longer will I have to wait? Any advice is highly appreciated :) submitted by /u/Icy-Shoulder3870 [link] [comments]
  7. New to insiders hub - disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    New to insiders hub - disc to digital: Hallo, hopelijk niet erg als ik in Nederlands schrijf? Ik ben nieuw in het insider hub programma, net geïnstalleerd. Ik wou heel graag de disc to digital proberen maar zie dit niet staan bij...
  8. Telling the difference between disc based/required games and digital.

    in XboX Insiders
    Telling the difference between disc based/required games and digital.: I don't have many suggestions. I'm pretty happy with the Xbox One UI with only a few exceptions. Making a tag or icon for the difference between disc based games that would require a disc to...
  9. How fix installation stopped in installing disc based game offline

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    How fix installation stopped in installing disc based game offline: GTA v installation stopped at 93 percent. I have tried all methods but in vain e5c1a16f-6ee5-406c-a222-5de177ded1a6
  10. Can the base xbox one still play a 4k uhd blu-ray disc(it doesn't have to give a 4k output,...

    in XBoX on Consoles
    Can the base xbox one still play a 4k uhd blu-ray disc(it doesn't have to give a 4k output,...: So can it still just run the disc and show the movie, albeit not at 4k resolution? 8da69feb-6c41-414e-ad5d-1a321ff1e675