burning type smell coming from new xbox 360

Discus and support burning type smell coming from new xbox 360 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; hi, just today i brought one of the new xbox 360 consoles ( the one that came out alongside the xbox one) and i started it up for the first time... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by dracoblade11, Jan 3, 2014.

1. dracoblade11
    dracoblade11 Guest

hi, just today i brought one of the new xbox 360 consoles ( the one that came out alongside the xbox one) and i started it up for the first time earlier and a slight burning smell came out . not really sure if this is standard for a new console because of
    the new plastic and glue or if it is something i should be worried about. i would like to point out that the console isn't overheating and is working fine. i would love an answer from someone that has either had the same problem or knows a lot about it.

:)

dracoblade11, Jan 3, 2014
  2. Second Xbox360 E smells. Burning/Plastic

same problem, no answers... brand new xbox 360; smells like burning plastic! soar throaght... help!! is this normal?

ChildishSole92, Jan 3, 2014
  3. WatersSPC
    WatersSPC Guest
    Burning smell from xbox 360

My xbox has a burning smell. auto shut-off after one hour is on but even with it off, fan still runs and smell of burning plastic fills the house. How do I fix this?

WatersSPC, Jan 3, 2014
  4. burning type smell coming from new xbox 360

Burning/smoldering electronics is never a good thing. Since you just bought the console today I'd go and exchange it for a different unit.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 3, 2014
  5. CubusPL
    CubusPL Guest
    just exchange it for a new model. It's the best way.

CubusPL, Jan 3, 2014
  6. TrollSturm
    TrollSturm Guest
    I have that too!

The first 360 E smelled like burned plastic, the whole room was full of it!

I exchange it, but the second 360 E smells the same, not so extrem, but the same smell!

I think they use cheap plastic or something, never hat that before with a new 360 or 360 S.

TrollSturm, Feb 16, 2014
  7. camel120
    camel120 Guest
    As with most new products this happens (just like that new item smell)

IF the smell does not fade out from use a good 24hrs of HARD use ( being on most of the time).

Then take it back to store or request MS/XBL repair to look at it.

IF you see smoke unplug system and get it replaced. I have had this happen when the slims first came out went away after a day (that smell will hang out in the room/house for a bit).

camel120, Feb 16, 2014
  8. burning type smell coming from new xbox 360

What happened with your consoles? The smell disappear? I just bought a 360e and it smells like burned plastic. If you touch it it's not hot at all, just a little bit warm. It works great, just this funny smell.

José AntonioAbad, Mar 14, 2015
  9. SnappyJon
    SnappyJon Guest
    Same issue with my 360E. Smells like some soft plastic or glue maybe, is touching something that gets very hot. The smell has mostly diminished over time but you can still smell it being extracted by the top fan. The console works just fine, but I now NEVER
    leave it plugged in and unattended.

SnappyJon, Apr 24, 2016
  10. Irixion
    Irixion Guest
    ...You're bumping a topic that's nearly a year old. The smell is normal. It's just the quality of parts that Microsoft is using. It goes away with use.

Irixion, Apr 24, 2016
  11. SnappyJon
    SnappyJon Guest
    Hey Irixion.

I didn't go scrolling down through the forum posts looking for an old post to bump. I did a google search on "XBox 360 burning smell", and this was one of the search results. So, on the basis that others may find this forum thread the same way I did, it
    seemed reasonable to comment on a subject I'm experiencing as well.

I'm still using my XBox 360, and have put plenty of hours into this particular E model. The smell has diminished, but it's still rather unpleasantly there. Anyway, my advice about never leaving an electrical item that smells like it's burning, plugged in
    and unattended, still stands.

Happy gaming.

SnappyJon, Jun 7, 2016
  12. Hey there, SnappyJon! If your console smells like it might be burning plastic inside, we suggest
    contacting phone support directly for further assistance.

This thread is originally over 2 years old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new detailed thread so that our community can work on helping you out. Thanks for understanding!

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
  13. camel120 Win User

As with most new products this happens (just like that new item smell)

IF the smell does not fade out from use a good 24hrs of HARD use ( being on most of the time).

Then take it back to store or request MS/XBL repair to look at it.

IF you see smoke unplug system and get it replaced. I have had this happen when the slims first came out went away after a day (that smell will hang out in the room/house for a bit).
  14. TrollSturm Win User

I have that too!

The first 360 E smelled like burned plastic, the whole room was full of it!

I exchange it, but the second 360 E smells the same, not so extrem, but the same smell!

I think they use cheap plastic or something, never hat that before with a new 360 or 360 S.
  15. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, SnappyJon! If your console smells like it might be burning plastic inside, we suggest
    contacting phone support directly for further assistance.

This thread is originally over 2 years old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new detailed thread so that our community can work on helping you out. Thanks for understanding!
  16. Irixion Win User

...You're bumping a topic that's nearly a year old. The smell is normal. It's just the quality of parts that Microsoft is using. It goes away with use.
  17. SnappyJon Win User

Same issue with my 360E. Smells like some soft plastic or glue maybe, is touching something that gets very hot. The smell has mostly diminished over time but you can still smell it being extracted by the top fan. The console works just fine, but I now NEVER
    leave it plugged in and unattended.
Thema:

1. burning type smell coming from new xbox 360 - Similar Threads - burning type smell

2. Series X made loud pop/crackling sound and filled my entire room with a burning plastic smell

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X made loud pop/crackling sound and filled my entire room with a burning plastic smell: the xbox still works and nothing changed on the screen when it happened but i’ve kept it off and unplugged just in case. I just got this on christmas so i don’t know why it’s having serious...
  3. Strong burning smell if I plug anything in the USB ports

in XBoX on Consoles
    Strong burning smell if I plug anything in the USB ports: If I plug anything in the USB ports I get a strong smell of burning console works fine apart from that (series x) 956df062-b605-4881-8fd2-06b16d180691
  4. Has anyone had the controller boards of two different TVs burn out from the Xbox s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Has anyone had the controller boards of two different TVs burn out from the Xbox s?: 2 different TVs: different brands, different ages, different HDMI cables It was definitely the Xbox. Don't give me low power through HDMI talk. Controller boards are lower power as well....
  5. My series x usb ports smell of burning if I plug in my ssd or anything else usb

in XBoX on Consoles
    My series x usb ports smell of burning if I plug in my ssd or anything else usb: The trouble only started this morning Thursday 2nd November I have owned my console from new for a couple of years now and never had a problem before today everything else works fine I just can’t...
  6. Can I burn a DVD to my XBX 360 HARD DRIVE?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can I burn a DVD to my XBX 360 HARD DRIVE?: Can I burn a DVD to my Xbox 360 hard drive? e9e8f71c-7a41-4f4a-81fe-89dbc3ec23dc
  7. New xbox series x burning plastic smell

in XBoX on Consoles
    New xbox series x burning plastic smell: Only playing 1080p game for about an hour and it is almost too hot to touch the side of the xbox series x console. It is on a shelf with plenty of ventilation. The top of the console where the...
  8. Xbox one power brick burning out on only one xbox.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one power brick burning out on only one xbox.: My dad's xbox, no matter which powerbrick, randomly turns off, no matter what games he will play, one powerbrick is 1 year old and one dates back to 2013-2016, both of them don't work on his xbox...
  9. Burning plasitc smell

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Burning plasitc smell: My xbox X had a burning plastic smell, I have barely used, I didn't realized first because I usually play old games, but lately today playing call of duty the smell got so bad that make me dizzy...
  10. i want to burn a game to a cd or dvd

in XBoX on Windows
    i want to burn a game to a cd or dvd: I want to have a game that can be portable so I think that burning it to a cd or DVD but I don't know how to get the Microsoft store games and just drag and drop it to the cd or DVD but that game...