Brand New toshiba usb 3.0 external hard drive not getting picked up.

Discus and support Brand New toshiba usb 3.0 external hard drive not getting picked up. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Purchased new Toshiba ext 1TB hd usb 3.0, it lights up like its getting power, but never shows as storage or anywhere on system. Works with win 10... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JYuenger, Apr 19, 2017.

1. JYuenger
    JYuenger Guest

Purchased new Toshiba ext 1TB hd usb 3.0, it lights up like its getting power, but never shows as storage or anywhere on system. Works with win 10 laptop, and on a friends xbox 1, but after all the steps from troubleshotter directions on microsoft site,
    still fails to recognize, Tried all ports, and keyboard, wired xbox one controller, and flash drive with music work. Tried a different usb 3.0 500gb external and that wasnt picked up either. Also, system is current on updates. This system is less than a year
    old, so if unable to fix should be able to replace with warranty right? . . . .Also, did a hard restart. . . Any other suggestions are appreciated.

:)

JYuenger, Apr 19, 2017
  2. M3T4L HUNTER
    M3T4L HUNTER Guest
    Xbox One External Hard Drive Question

I have a 500GB Xbox One, so you can imagine im short or space for games. so i was looking at getting a
    Toshiba HDTB330EK3CA 3 TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Canvio Basics External HDD
    (URL at the bottom).

Firstly: is it compatable with an Xbox One?

Secondly: if it is, how do i connect the two?

Toshiba HDTB330EK3CA 3 TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Canvio Basics External HDD URL: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HDT...&sr=8-1&keywords=1tb+external+hard+drive+usb3

M3T4L HUNTER, Apr 19, 2017
  3. I have completely run out of storage....

Microsoft doesn't recommend any particular brand of external hard drive, with so many different companies making them it would be difficult to do so. It does specify that the drive itself needs to be USB 3.0 and a minimum of
    256GB. Personally, I would recommend the following brands as they are the current industry leaders:

Western Digital

Seagate

Samsung

Toshiba

Sony

As well as tradition external hard drives, the Xbox One will also accept external solid state hard drives and hybrids. However, these tend to be rather expensive and the speed difference isn't all that noticeable on game consoles. Xbox One works with external
    hard discs that require no external power supply - you just plug them into the rear USB port and the console will detect it and ask if you wish to format it. Once it's done, you can use it straight away. You can use the larger powered external hard drives,
    but these will require them to be connected to mains as well as the console.

I'm currently using a Toshiba Stor.E Basics 1TB.

Just make sure it's USB 3.0 and you'll be fine.

Obsessive Power, Apr 19, 2017
  4. Brand New toshiba usb 3.0 external hard drive not getting picked up.

Hey there, Irish!

I'm sorry to see any issues! We have seen a few reports of this in the latest Spring Update. Reformatting the hard drive seems to resolve that for most people. I know it works on other devices, but this seems to be resolving a lot of people in the same situation
    as you.

However, if that doesn't work for you, then you may need to
    factory reset
    the console. Give that a shot if that reformatting doesn't work.

If it is less than a year old, then you are definitely within warranty. You can set up a repair after registering the console on our
    Device Support page.

Let me know how it goes! If you run into any snags, I'm happy to help get you to the right place again. Brand New toshiba usb 3.0 external hard drive not getting picked up. :)

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines for the Do's and Don'ts as well as the Xbox Insider
    Program Forums
    for help with Xbox Insider Program troubleshooting.

Misses Quinzel, Apr 20, 2017
  5. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, Irish!

I'm sorry to see any issues! We have seen a few reports of this in the latest Spring Update. Reformatting the hard drive seems to resolve that for most people. I know it works on other devices, but this seems to be resolving a lot of people in the same situation
    as you.

However, if that doesn't work for you, then you may need to
    factory reset
    the console. Give that a shot if that reformatting doesn't work.

If it is less than a year old, then you are definitely within warranty. You can set up a repair after registering the console on our
    Device Support page.

Let me know how it goes! If you run into any snags, I'm happy to help get you to the right place again. :)

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines for the Do's and Don'ts as well as the Xbox Insider
    Program Forums
    for help with Xbox Insider Program troubleshooting.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

I have completely run out of storage....

Microsoft doesn't recommend any particular brand of external hard drive, with so many different companies making them it would be difficult to do so. It does specify that the drive itself needs to be USB 3.0 and a minimum of
    256GB. Personally, I would recommend the following brands as they are the current industry leaders:

Western Digital

Seagate

Samsung

Toshiba

Sony

As well as tradition external hard drives, the Xbox One will also accept external solid state hard drives and hybrids. However, these tend to be rather expensive and the speed difference isn't all that noticeable on game consoles. Xbox One works with external
    hard discs that require no external power supply - you just plug them into the rear USB port and the console will detect it and ask if you wish to format it. Once it's done, you can use it straight away. You can use the larger powered external hard drives,
    but these will require them to be connected to mains as well as the console.

I'm currently using a Toshiba Stor.E Basics 1TB.

Just make sure it's USB 3.0 and you'll be fine.
  7. Wishcatcher Win User

Sea gate external hard drive not working

Hi,

Try this, on the console when you are on the main menu, press and HOLD 10 sec the powerbutton of the console, wait 30 sec, UNPLUG the external hard drive, restart the console. Finally, turn off the console and replug the external hard drive, turn on console,
    does it work ?

If not, its due to the usb 3.0 cable in many cases… I had that issue in the past with a Toshiba 2TB, i changed the usb 3.0 cable with a new one and all was perfect after ;)

Hope it help,
  8. Obsessive Power Win User

Question about extra memory for my Xbox One console.

This is mine. It's a 1TB hard drive. Just plugged it in (at the rear USB port), Xbox One saw it and configured it for use. The whole process was extremely quick.
    That particular drive has been discontinued now so if you buy a Toshiba, it would be one of the 'Canvio' models now.

Best to go with one of the big names in the hard drive business such as Toshiba, Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung and Sony.

Pick on of those top name brands, make sure it's at least 250GB capacity, USB 3.0 and your done!
  9. A Filthy Idiom Win User

Serious External Hard Drive Issues for Xbox One

I'm having the same issue as a number of people on this thread and it is very frustrating. I have a Toshiba 1.5TB USB 3.0 drive hooked up to my brand new Sunset Overdrive white console. In the last week, it has started repeatedly saying "External Storage
    Ready" every few seconds. I can't play a game stored on the external drive, but I am able to slowly download new purchases to it. I've tried hooking the drive up to every USB port on the Xbox One, but nothing is solving the problem. I've also tried using
    a Y connector for the drive, but it didn't solve the issue. Not sure what to do now.
Thema:

1. Brand New toshiba usb 3.0 external hard drive not getting picked up. - Similar Threads - Brand toshiba usb

2. Brand new Xbox series s with no green band

in XBoX on Windows
    Brand new Xbox series s with no green band: Hi, just bought a new Xbox series s, when I unboxed it the console was wrapped in the usual white wrap but no green band (the power your dreams one), is that usual? Or the box has been opened or...
  3. Brand New Xbox Series S Controller disconnecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Brand New Xbox Series S Controller disconnecting: Bought a brand new Xbox series S and the controller started randomly disconnecting while playing games. I’ve never had this problem with my series X. So I took my spare controller and tried to use...
  4. 9 months warranty on a brand new console I bought off Amazon, why?

in XBoX on Consoles
    9 months warranty on a brand new console I bought off Amazon, why?: My warranty details are incorrect, I purchased on 5th Feb and so technically the warranty should start starting 5th Feb 2024 till 4th Feb 2025, but it shows warranty till 28 November 2024. WHY?...
  5. Why does my Xbox 3.5mm Xbox-brand headset stop working after a few days

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox 3.5mm Xbox-brand headset stop working after a few days: For some reason my Xbox mic sound will be hearable but only for myself. This happens when my mic/controller is idle for a while (I guess) but it makes no sense. No it’s not a setting, it’s not...
  6. Why won’t a brand new disc read on my series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won’t a brand new disc read on my series X: I just bought Deadpool for the Xbox one. I know others play it on the Series X so I know it should work. I’ve gone through multiple troubleshooting guides. Nothing works. The disc is brand new. I...
  7. My brand new xbox controller wont turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    My brand new xbox controller wont turn on: I bought this controller about 2 months ago it just sat on my desk I didn’t drop it or anything then when I finally used it with completely new batteries it wouldn’t turn on so I tried plugging in...
  8. Brand new Xbox Series X extremely snow internet speeds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Brand new Xbox Series X extremely snow internet speeds: Just bought a Series X today and I'm experiencing extremely slow download speeds between 30mps and 90 mbps with it staying closer to 30 to 40 most of the time. This is with a wired connection,...
  9. Brand New Xbox Series X Randomly Powering Off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Brand New Xbox Series X Randomly Powering Off: I just got a brand new Xbox Series X from Microsoft on February 8th, my console has been acting up and at random times shutting off. I tried to confirm it was the outlet and I tested out different...
  10. Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2: Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Unable to Connect to PC The Issue When wired in using the USB-C cable that came with the brand-new controller, the Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 is not...