Blu-ray App Not Playing Recent UHD Blu-ray Discs, May Need Copy Protection Update

Discus and support Blu-ray App Not Playing Recent UHD Blu-ray Discs, May Need Copy Protection Update in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I am apparently not alone in this issue and have exhausted all troubleshooting steps on my end with the help of calling Xbox Support. It has... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Anthony Vangeli, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Blu-ray App Not Playing Recent UHD Blu-ray Discs, May Need Copy Protection Update

I am apparently not alone in this issue and have exhausted all troubleshooting steps on my end with the help of calling Xbox Support.

It has supposedly been happening for a month or two but recent UHD Blu-rays are unable to play properly on Xbox through the Blu-ray App. The latest example being the very recent release of the 1984 Dune movie in 4K. Other forums have been flooded with folks who also can't play the disc on Xbox in addition to other dedicated UHD Blu-ray players. One such other brand of dedicated players, Panasonic, just yesterday released a firmware update that allows this disc and the handful of others to finally play properly and without issue. It's generally assumed that these recent discs are using an updated form of copy protection which may require updates on the player-end. Maybe it's something more than that but I'm not an Xbox engineer.

While older UHD Blu-rays play just fine on Xbox, it would be reassuring to know that future discs will play without issue as well.

:)

Anthony Vangeli, Nov 6, 2021
  2. Anthony Vangeli Win User

Blu-ray App Not Playing Recent UHD Blu-ray Discs, May Need Copy Protection Update

I came to that conclusion long ago and have wasted much of this morning trying to get the message across. I do hope the team with the ability to fix it sees it.
  3. Anthony Vangeli Win User

I’ve done all of the troubleshooting steps and then some, however the issue persists and appears to be something that needs to be fixed in the app itself, out of my control.

I only hope the appropriate teams at Xbox see this.
  4. MateusFontana Win User

Hello, how are you? My name is Mateus. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

First, welcome to the Xbox community.

We appreciate your coming to the Xbox community, and we're sorry you're having this issue. I saw that you mentioned that you've already communicated support and that the problem persisted even after doing what they said. Anyway, if you haven't tried it yet, follow the procedures below.

Before we try any different things, I ask you to do the procedures listed by Microsoft in the article below.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/...

- If the problem is not resolved, try the alternatives below.

Solution 1:

Go to Settings > Disc & Blu-Ray.

In the Blu-Ray section select Persistent Storage.

Now select Clear persistent storage.

Optional: Clear the persistent storage couple of times to fix the problem.

Solution 2:

Press the Xbox button.

Open Settings.

Go to Network and select Network settings.

Select Advanced settings.

Select Alternate MAC Address.

Select Clear.

Select Restart.

*We thank you in advance for contacting us, I hope this can help you.
  5. MateusFontana Win User

I understand, I believe this can only be resolved with a console firmware update, as the solutions that would normally resolve the issue did not work.
  6. Anthony Vangeli Win User

I’ve posted similar issues there before, even recently, and had the threads quickly closed because they weren’t “relevant” to the insider program itself.

I’m aware that issues can be directly reported through the “report a problem” app on Xbox consoles that are enrolled into the insider program but I’m not enrolling mine into the insider program with its potentially buggy builds just so I can report a problem, so I was directed to ask here instead. Would be nice if it was easier (and less risky) to report issues, instead of going through all of these support loops.

Maybe that “report a problem” app should be on every console regardless of insider program enrollment, or the online support have clearer paths to report app issues.
Thema:

1. Blu-ray App Not Playing Recent UHD Blu-ray Discs, May Need Copy Protection Update - Similar Threads - Blu ray App

2. Blu ray player app still not working in 2023!?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blu ray player app still not working in 2023!?: Why are we still having this issue in 2023.. the blu ray player app is broken. It won’t even download anymore. Can’t even watch a dvd on an Xbox. 8329b734-f716-4922-a788-b0d49b2aeb43
  3. Blu-Ray app from the Xbox store no longer plays DVDs. PLEASE HELP!!!!

in XBoX on Windows
    Blu-Ray app from the Xbox store no longer plays DVDs. PLEASE HELP!!!!: Is there an alternative {or a superior} Blu-Ray/DVD app that i can install on my Xbox One X due to the Blu-Ray app from the Xbox store no longer plays DVDs? I do not own a computer so if someone...
  4. Is the Blu-Ray app in the Xbox one and series consoles ever getting updated.

in XboX Insiders
    Is the Blu-Ray app in the Xbox one and series consoles ever getting updated.: Today i went to play one of many BC games on my Series X but the app keeps showing error code 0x91d7000. I’m looking online this has been a issue for years, WTF is this getting an update ever?!...
  5. Why is my xbox 360 game open Blu-Ray Player app on xbox one

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my xbox 360 game open Blu-Ray Player app on xbox one: Okay so I recently got an xbox one and most of my games work except lego star wars iii which opens blu ray disc and says we cannot play this disc please try another one and it works fine on my...
  6. Why won't my DVD play in the blu-ray app on my Xbox one?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won't my DVD play in the blu-ray app on my Xbox one?: I need help figuring this out a0e9bc3f-8324-426c-abe7-fd007a9815e7
  7. Xbox One S: My disc drive went out after watching a DVD on Blu-ray app lastnight.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S: My disc drive went out after watching a DVD on Blu-ray app lastnight.: My disc drive went out after using the Blu-ray app lastnight upon researching on tryna fix it I've come across others that have had problem with there disc drive also after using the Microsoft...
  8. Xbox Series X not playing Atmos in Blu-ray app on 4K Blu-ray Discs

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X not playing Atmos in Blu-ray app on 4K Blu-ray Discs: I’m in the Alpha-Skip Ahead Ring. I have my Xbox Series X setup with my VIZIO Elevate 5.1.4 soundbar to play my 4K Blu-ray Discs, but all I’m getting is the audio that’s on the main menu of the...
  9. When will the blu ray app be updated to support Dolby Vision?

in XBoX on Windows
    When will the blu ray app be updated to support Dolby Vision?: When will the blu ray app be updated to support Dolby Vision? 199515b3-e2b6-44b3-b471-e97347cfd5bc
  10. Require sign in for Blu Ray app

in XBoX Accessibility
    Require sign in for Blu Ray app: My kids bypass family safety on the XBox One by putting a DVD into the slot and watching the DVD during hours they are supposed to be locked out. How do I configure the XBox One to require sign in...