Black Screen after turning on 120hz on Series X

Discus and support Black Screen after turning on 120hz on Series X in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have an xbox series x and a 165hz sceptre curved monitor and when i attempt to turn on 120hz on my xbox the screen goes black then after about 20-30... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ThyDistortion, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Black Screen after turning on 120hz on Series X

I have an xbox series x and a 165hz sceptre curved monitor and when i attempt to turn on 120hz on my xbox the screen goes black then after about 20-30 seconds it goes back to normal at 60hz.. ive watched youtube videos and followed the exact steps and nothing works

:)

ThyDistortion, Jan 16, 2022
  2. Nursemorph Win User

As mentioned above, your monitor likely won't support what the Series X needs. Often the refresh rate is slightly different (due to different standards being used)....the Series X needs an exact 120Hz setting to run whereas the monitor may actually be 119Hz so it won't work.

If you have access to a computer or laptop, plug it in to the monitor and then got to Windows settings, click on "System", then "Display"...scroll down to "Advance Display Settings" and click it. This should display your monitor along with the refresh rate it will display. See whether it is displayed as 120Hz or 119Hz
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

I was having a look earlier and all the Curved Sceptres support at least 120Hz via HDMI, according to their specs..one of them says it supports 144Hz via HDMI:

https://www.sceptre.com/Monitors/Cu...max=3000&filter_sizemin=12&filter_sizemax=100
    Good find. That doesn't necessarily mean it will work though.

The issue is that these screens seem to be marketed for PC gaming. PC graphics cards won't care if the timing of the display is 119.98Hz or 119.88Hz, it will show 120Hz and just work. The Series X is unfortunately, far more fussy.

120Hz is never (as far as I'm aware) exactly 120Hz.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

As 'andersonpassos' has stated, it's likely because the display doesn't support 120Hz. This will probably be a limitation of the HDMI on the monitor.

Many PC monitors only support the advertised refresh rate over the Display Port, whereas the HDMI port/s have a much more limited capabilities. Also, there may be a timing issue on the HDMI, where the displays refresh rate does not match exactly what the console expects when it checks the monitors hardware features via EDID.

I'm having problems finding the exact model of your monitor. Can you provide this to us please?
  5. ngocphi Win User

Keep in mind monitors may not support the Exact 120hz

Remember sometimes the timings are off like 119.9hz this is due to some monitors not supporting visa 120hz

Iin which case it won't work

It works fine for graphic card but with tv devices ot has to be EXACT 120HZ

As tv's are more particular about the vesa standards graphic cards are more flexible

Keep in mind not all games support 120hz

Most.games actually push for 60fps

You have to wait till more games go for 120hz
  6. Farscape247 Win User

that will most likely be 120/144 at 1080 over hdmi, sometimes 1440 but that screen does not have 120hz in the edid so the console won't allow it.
Thema:

1. Black Screen after turning on 120hz on Series X - Similar Threads - Black Screen turning

2. Xbox One X Turns On but Black Screen with No Signal

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X Turns On but Black Screen with No Signal: I just bought a used Xbox One X from Amazon first day it worked but next day I had a black screen with no signal I used 2 separate hdmi cables 2 separate TVs and 2 separate power cables everything...
  3. Monitor turning on but screen is black. Any Help?

in XBoX on Windows
    Monitor turning on but screen is black. Any Help?: So i have a KOORUI 24 inch 165 hz monitor I had just recently bought and everything has been perfect, it was great up until now. I have both and xbox and a pc and the monitor does not work on...
  4. My Xbox was stuck on the green loading screen then it turns black how can I fix it

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox was stuck on the green loading screen then it turns black how can I fix it: My Xbox turned on to the loading screen it’s green about three minutes later it turns black how can I fix that ed758c99-f9d4-43fe-8b08-b304a456a3e4
  5. Xbox S black screen and turns itself off no reset screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox S black screen and turns itself off no reset screen: I haven’t used my Xbox S in about 2 weeks. Sat down to play tonight, and nothing. First, the power comes on, but no screen appears. Then after about 20 seconds the Xbox S powers off on its own....
  6. When I go to play some games when it loads my screen turns black and everything even the ui...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I go to play some games when it loads my screen turns black and everything even the ui...: When I go to play games my screen will go black and things will be more gray than usual but it's only for some games c1461ca9-ecee-4ba9-988f-3c763490d90b
  7. Laptop screen turns black and the whole device freezes after launching Valorant

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Laptop screen turns black and the whole device freezes after launching Valorant: My device screen turns black after launching Valorant. Not only that, it freezes my whole system too which is why I have to hold power button to shut down the laptop. I tried uninstalling and then...
  8. Why does screen turn black except for the health bar

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does screen turn black except for the health bar: Just all of a sudden about couple weeks ago went to play Jedi Fallen Order and it goes to main menu like normal but when I did to continue it went to where I last left off and showed a little bit...
  9. I restarted my Xbox and accidentally turned it off and don’t now my screen is all black and...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I restarted my Xbox and accidentally turned it off and don’t now my screen is all black and...: I restarted my xbox and accidentally turned it off and now when I click on the off Byron it stays on and my screen is black if anyone can help that would be great...
  10. My screen is turning purple/black while playing COD 2019 it also doesn't let me see my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My screen is turning purple/black while playing COD 2019 it also doesn't let me see my...: Idk what to do I've used 2 tvs and restarted and Googled what to do but I can't get it to stop for good 5b917a13-d3a5-43cc-83f5-bcef813eccc1

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox series 120hz black screen