Audio distortion when the optical port is used for surround (works fine for stereo)

Discus and support Audio distortion when the optical port is used for surround (works fine for stereo) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox One is connected via HDMI to my TV, and via optical cable to my receiver. When I put the Xbox One into surround sound (5.1 uncompressed on the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ben braddock-C530871C-58E6-44BE-8AEE-B50247666CF1, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Audio distortion when the optical port is used for surround (works fine for stereo)

My Xbox One is connected via HDMI to my TV, and via optical cable to my receiver. When I put the Xbox One into surround sound (5.1 uncompressed on the optical port), it works, except that the audio is often distorted. If I switch to stereo mode (on the optical
    port), the sound is perfect. (I have not tried this with the HDMI port because my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, and my television only outputs stereo via its optical out.)

I've tried the Surround Sound Beta setting, which makes no difference. I've tried using different optical cables, and different optical ports on my receiver, and the issue is always the same, which leads me to believe it's either a software issue on the
    Xbox, or a hardware issue on the Xbox related to surround sound on the optical port. My Xbox 360 works just fine when connected the same way.

I know there are issues with surround audio coming *into* the Xbox via HDMI (e.g. from a cable box), but I haven't seen this particular issue mentioned. Has anyone else had this problem, or even better, found a solution? I'm hoping a future software patch
    will address this.

:)

ben braddock-C530871C-58E6-44BE-8AEE-B50247666CF1, Jan 2, 2014
  2. loserspearl
    loserspearl Guest
    Surround sound not working

My setup is a little complicated but it should work just fine. My cable box goes into the Xbox via HDMI, the Xbox goes to the TV via HDMI, and the TVs optical audio out goes to the audio receiver. I do it this way so that all A/V content pushing to the TV
    should come out as surround sound. All devices have been set to surround (TV, cable box, Xbox, and audio receiver) sound but there are two things I'm not sure about. 1) When trying to use 5.1 uncompressed from the HDMI audio out the Xbox gives an error, something
    like my device does support surround sound (meanwhile my TV does support surround sound) so I am forced to use bitstream (not sure what the difference is) and 2) TVs SPDIF (optical audio) setting can be either RAW or PCM, regardless neither is pushing the
    HDMI bitstream audio in as surround out via optical, it is stuck in stereo.

Cable box: Verizon QIP 7232

TV: Element ELEFT436

Surround Sound Receiver: Sony BDV E370

Before I had optical audio coming from the Xbox to the audio receiver; surround sound worked flawless when on optical bitstream/dolby digital out, but this will neglect any other device I want to connect to my TV such as my laptop. For some reason the bitstream
    audio out over HDMI is stereo (not surround) but the bitstream audio out over SPDIF (optical) audio is surround. Can anyone explain why I can't get surround sound with the optical audio coming from the TV?

loserspearl, Jan 2, 2014
  3. loserspearl
    loserspearl Guest
    Surround sound not working

My setup is a little complicated but it should work just fine. My cable box goes into the Xbox via HDMI, the Xbox goes to the TV via HDMI, and the TVs optical audio out goes to the audio receiver. I do it this way so that all A/V content pushing to the TV
    should come out as surround sound. All devices have been set to surround (TV, cable box, Xbox, and audio receiver) sound but there are two things I'm not sure about. 1) When trying to use 5.1 uncompressed from the HDMI audio out the Xbox gives an error, something
    like my device does support surround sound (meanwhile my TV does support surround sound) so I am forced to use bitstream (not sure what the difference is) and 2) TVs SPDIF (optical audio) setting can be either RAW or PCM, regardless neither is pushing the
    HDMI bitstream audio in as surround out via optical, it is stuck in stereo.

Cable box: Verizon QIP 7232

TV: Element ELEFT436

Surround Sound Receiver: Sony BDV E370

Before I had optical audio coming from the Xbox to the audio receiver; surround sound worked flawless when on optical bitstream/dolby digital out, but this will neglect any other device I want to connect to my TV such as my laptop. For some reason the bitstream
    audio out over HDMI is stereo (not surround) but the bitstream audio out over SPDIF (optical) audio is surround. Can anyone explain why I can't get surround sound with the optical audio coming from the TV?

loserspearl, Jan 2, 2014
  4. DannoGA Win User

How to set up Tritton Warheads to XBox One

Benslay, go to settings, display and sound, under digital audio set your optical audio to stereo uncompressed. Dts surround will not work with these and we are blessed to not have a machine that can pump out 7:1 surround at launch through the optical cable.
  5. FlawlessPunk Win User

No audio all of a sudden

Xbox One was working fine, now all of a sudden there is no audio on any game or DVD/blue ray disc. I have unplugged, switched HDMI cords and ports, tried a different TV, and done a hard reset of the Xbox to no avail. Anyone?

Thanks,
    Hi RileysRiley,

Thanks for reaching out the forum,

Kindly answer to the following questions:

1. Are you using Digital Optical Audio or Normal Stereo output.

2. Audio is not working in games alone or whole xbox audio.

3. If you're using digital audio output kindly change the output options like Dolby Surround, Dolby bitstream or Stereo Compressed.
  6. RakkaDisciprine Win User

Still no Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround after update

Dolby Digital is surround sound. There is a separate option for stereo audio on the optical output. I can definitely tell a difference between stereo and surround with my A40s, and the bitstream Dolby Digital is definitely surround.
  7. MisterFizzle Win User

Connecting XBOX 360 to a Logitech Z-5500.

Hey there Salomon,

Sorry to hear you're having issues connecting your console to your surround sound.

You are correct, there is no optical output port on the Xbox 360 E console.

For digital output to a stereo or home entertainment system, you'll want to connect your console to your HD TV using the HDMI cable. Then you should be able to use a cable to connect the digital audio output port on the television to the digital audio input
    port your stereo or home entertainment system.
  8. USA1fan Win User

Microsoft's "Biggest Surprise Ever" Might Be Coming at E3

Obviously the above means virtual surround through a stereo headset, without needing to connect something to the optical port.. (in case anyone thinks I mean audio in general, as in normal external speakers, I don't).
Thema:

Audio distortion when the optical port is used for surround (works fine for stereo)

1. Audio distortion when the optical port is used for surround (works fine for stereo) - Similar Threads - Audio distortion optical

2. How do I include my audio on a friends twitch recording using the Xbox app

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do I include my audio on a friends twitch recording using the Xbox app: I’m streaming with a group of friends I use the Xbox app for communicating most nights but stream can’t here due to me not being able to include my audio using the app...
  3. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues: I’m having a bit of an issue I can’t figure out. I have an Xbox seires X, Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller, Xbox Wired Headset and I consistently get audio distortion/glitching/popping through my...
  4. Xbox Game Bar Clip Audio Distorted & Choppy On Windows 11

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Bar Clip Audio Distorted & Choppy On Windows 11: My clip's video and audio of others in discord + ingame are fine. My microphone for some reason is the only one distorted in the clip. It is not distorted on discord or in the game and my friends...
  5. Xbox Game Bar records game audio as bassy, crackling, and distorted.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Bar records game audio as bassy, crackling, and distorted.: Hello! I've recently started to record clips of Destiny 2 on Xbox Game Bar and the in-game audio of the clip is heavily distorted. I have my bluetooth earbuds and wired mic set up to the proper...
  6. Game and pc audio is distorted and unchangeable when in Xbox game bar party

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game and pc audio is distorted and unchangeable when in Xbox game bar party: So basically, when I join an Xbox game bar party, my audio in a game or another application is distorted. This audio distortion also happens when I launch specific games like sea of thieves and...
  7. Xbox Wireless Headset has random moments where the audio gets very distorted, then stops,...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Headset has random moments where the audio gets very distorted, then stops,...: Hi, I just bought the Starfield version of the Xbox Wireless Headset. I really want to like it, but my experience has been downright abysmal since I started using it with my PC. First, I tried...
  8. Everytime I launch a multiplayer game through PC game pass, the audio gets very distorted

in XBoX on Consoles
    Everytime I launch a multiplayer game through PC game pass, the audio gets very distorted: Hi, I currently have a custom built PC and am using PC Game Pass for most of my games, but every time I launch a multiplayer game like sea of thieves, my audio shoots up to max when it was...
  9. Strange audio crackling and any in game sounds sound far away or distorted how to fix?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Strange audio crackling and any in game sounds sound far away or distorted how to fix?: Hi, so I've been having this problem whenever I play a game that I have downloaded through the Xbox game pass app where the audio always sounds far away and there is a faint crackling sound. It is...
  10. Prof. Answer needed: Win11 Xbox GameBar Party Voice Audio Chat choppy and distorted

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Prof. Answer needed: Win11 Xbox GameBar Party Voice Audio Chat choppy and distorted: Hello everybody, I'm here for advice of how to solve my problem (which is like a riddle from the Greek mythology and only the Best can succeed). I have a full modern Win11-PC with all the...