Audio Delay Issue Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos

Discus and support Audio Delay Issue Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The sound is great, but the delay is awful, I've also no chance to fix it with the AV-Sync settings on my LG CX Oled.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Smorf666, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Smorf666
    Smorf666 Guest

The sound is great, but the delay is awful, I've also no chance to fix it with the AV-Sync settings on my LG CX Oled.

:)

Smorf666, Nov 13, 2020
  2. ELVIS7 Win User

Atmos Delay fix (worked for me, at least) and audio detection issues

Interesting post, thank you for trying and posting your findings.

I've had the audio delay issue for years and tried everything. I had the nu8000 Samsung TV before and recently got the qn90b and the issue is still present.

My set up is, Xbox series x > qn90b > onkyo 676.

If I do 5.1, stereo uncompressed, mono, there's no delay. There is only an audio delay with dolby atmos for home theatre option.

Your suggestion does not work on my end however, because the only way I can set the qn90b to pass-through is if I unselect the dolby atmos option under it, which allows me to change audio output format from auto or pcm, to pass-through but when I do that, the Xbox series x no longer detects my set up as dolby 5.1/7.1/atmls capable and says not supported so I can't even force the Xbox to output atmos.

As for the qn90b audio delay option, it's already at 0, and the delay is very noticeable in shooter games, but especially while watching movie.
  3. Geri M. Win User

Dolby Atmos audio delay or entirely missing on Xbox Series X via TV's eARC

Hello AnchelLabena,

We appreciate you for bringing this up to Xbox Forum.

We are sorry to hear that you’re experiencing audio delay when using Dolby Atmos for Home Cinema on your Xbox Series X with LG OLED C2 TV and Samsung Q950T Dolby Atmos soundbar.

We've found similar issues with LG OLED and LG Atmos soundbar (with rear speakers) and used an earc extractor (4k Dolby Atmos compatible) which completely solved the problem. You pass the audio HDMI earc out from the TV through the extractor and into the HDMI in of your sound bar.

Another user, states having delays using the Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos games and apps such as Youtube and Gears 5 but NOT from the Dolby Atmos app’s demos. The Xbox is connected directly to their LG BX TV via the HDMI 2.1 and using eARC > ARC on their Onkyo TX-NR656. The TV’s apps do not cause this delay using Atmos, and the Dolby App on the Xbox.

We also found an explanation from another that the delay exists because natively, surround audio from a gaming console is in LPCM. To output a bit streaming format (or in this case a proprietary PCM codec like DOLBY MAT 2.0) it has to re-encode the audio real-time which introduces delay. And keep in mind ONLY a very select few games are in Atmos.

It's good to know that connecting the Series X directly to the soundbar works just fine and Atmos content will play as intended with no delay. However, this causes a loss in other features such as VRR, 120 Hz and more due to the soundbar not supporting all HDMI 2.1 features.

We understand that you want to do the setup with the console connected directly to the TV, as should be intended. We hope that the information we provided is helpful.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community
  4. sturae229 Win User

Dolby Atmos delay on Xbox Series X

Well yes. The problem is constant. Whenever you’re in a game that uses Dolby atmos or even on Netflix through the series x. It needs a software patch to fix it. Delay is present on all Dolby atmos content
  5. SteeleWake Win User

Xbox Series X November Update broken sound.

Issue has been reported multiple times by many people as indicated in this and few other threads (reddit, xbox forums, etc). I myself have opened several tickets (currently have one ongoing now) on the issue and yet it still hasn't been resolved. I have also created help tickets with Dolby Access Support, and their responses continue to be that it is a Microsoft issue in how it is outputting Dolby Atmos. Summary of my issues is below:

- Bitstream audio out no longer an option in the HDMI output settings. In the November 2021 update on the Xbox Series X, the audio settings page was changed and unfortunately the option to output bitstream audio was removed. Despite the many issues this has caused, Microsoft still has not fixed the issue. Please bring back the bitstream/lossless output formats instead of forcing PCM only.

- Despite Dolby Atmos being selected as shown in the picture, the Xbox is outputting PCM 'multichannel audio' instead of Atmos (receiver display shown in lower portion of picture). This appears to be causing delays/hiccups in the HDMI handshake process as whatever PCM signal is being sent is not fully correct and the receiver bounces between seeing multichannel audio and dolby atmos until finally settling on multichannel audio. To my earlier comment, being able to pass true bitstream dolby atmos audio to the receiver should eliminate this issue.

- I have the Xbox Series X running to the AVR and then to the TV in order to have access to all the audio formats. When I tried to run the Xbox directly to the TV and then audio over eArc to the receiver, the Xbox will only output PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos. I have tested the TV/receiver and they are able to pass other formats (such as DTS:X) over eArc so it is an Xbox issue of not allowing all the formats to be output (possibly related to bistream vs PCM also?).
  6. Geri M. Win User

When will Microsoft fix Dolby ATMOS audio latency on the Xbox?

Hello jesseinsf94122,

We really appreciate for the time and effort that you have extended to us.

What we have found out an article for some Dolby errors;

Audio delay on Xbox Series X

Question: Some games or movies on the Xbox Series X have audio/video sync issues, how can we fix this?

Answer: Dolby is currently investigating any A/V sync related issues while playing some games or watching some movies on the Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos enabled. A/V latency problems normally occur because of specific hardware compatibility issues, faulty hardware, or incorrect configuration on one or more devices. For the Xbox Series X, users should double-check the below checklist to make sure your setup fully supports Dolby Atmos.

1. Are you connected to your TV or AVR using eARC?

2. Are you using HDMI 2.1 supported cables?

3. Does your AVR/soundbar support HDMI 2.1?

4. Is your TV configured correctly to use eARC?

5. Is Atmos enabled correctly on your Xbox Series X?

Additionally, one setting in the Xbox Series X that is known to cause some A/V sync errors is the feature to play content in 4k 120hz. This setting has been shown to cause audio delays with some hardware when playing Dolby Atmos content. Microsoft is currently looking into this issue. For a temporary solution, users should change the setting to 60hz.

Please see any of the above items apply to your system and fix as necessary. If you believe all is in correct order, please contact Dolby support to follow up with more troubleshooting.

We hope it worked out well for you. If not, please reply back to this forum to let us know. We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
Thema:

1. Audio Delay Issue Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos - Similar Threads - Audio Delay Issue

2. Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...

in XBoX on Windows
    Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...: https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/08/digital-foundry-highlights-dolby-atmos-issues-on-xbox-playground-games-engineer-responds Just curious if anyone knows whether this has actually been looked...
  3. Hi-Fi Rush Showed Me How Bad Series X ARC Audio Delay Is

in XboX Insiders
    Hi-Fi Rush Showed Me How Bad Series X ARC Audio Delay Is: I would really like to play Hi-Fi Rush but it's really unplayable on my system. I have my 1 month old Series X hooked directly up to my TV (HDMI 2.0) which is hooked up to my 5.1 receiver (HDMI...
  4. Xbox audio delay Samsung TV and soundbar

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox audio delay Samsung TV and soundbar: Hi guys, I have a samsung q95t and a hwq60t soundbar. With my Xbox series X I have a big audio delay and I don't know how to resolve it. I have only two options in my console settings:...
  5. Dolby Atmos Xbox audio delay

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos Xbox audio delay: There is an audio delay when using Dolby atmos for gaming on my Xbox Series X. As of writing, Dolby Access, the Xbox OS and the soundbar firmware are all up to date. My setup: 1. Xbox -> HDMI...
  6. Audio delay

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Audio delay: Hello guys I'm having an issue with the audio delay in my series X, i've tried everything you can think of, like factory reset, resetting audio settings, etc, still having issue with the audio...
  7. Dolby Atmos audio delay or entirely missing on Xbox Series X via TV's eARC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dolby Atmos audio delay or entirely missing on Xbox Series X via TV's eARC: Hi there, I have now a new LG OLED C2 TV with which I want to take advantage of some of the Series X features such as 120 Hz and VRR. And I have a Samsung Q950T Dolby Atmos soundbar that I...
  8. Recording with X Box Game Bar screen capture and Microphone results in audio delay

in XBoX on Windows
    Recording with X Box Game Bar screen capture and Microphone results in audio delay: I was trying to record my gameplay on a steam game with my Blue Yeti, but found after I recorded there was an audio delay. I tried just about everything, from updating my canary insider to the...
  9. Dolby Digital Audio Delay

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Digital Audio Delay: Hi Team, Need help with a sound delay issue that I'm facing when selecting Dolby Digital on Xbox Series X. I'm using a TCL tv connected via HDMI 2.1. Stereo works fine, the moment I switch to...
  10. Xbox Series X Audio Delay with VRR On?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Audio Delay with VRR On?: Recently purchased a TCL Series 6 55” TV and have my Xbox Series X hooked up to it. The TV supports FreeSync but I hadn’t known about the Variable Refresh Rate setting on the Xbox until today....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blu ray sound out of sync xbox series x

2. dolby atmos delay xbox series x

3. audio delay on xbox series x

4. receiver connected to xbox audio delay,
  5. series x atmos delay,
  6. xbox series atmos delay fix,
  7. xbox series x dolby atmos delay,
  8. xbox series x av syncing issues