Atmos Delay fix (worked for me, at least) and audio detection issues

Discus and support Atmos Delay fix (worked for me, at least) and audio detection issues in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Reposting from insiders reddit, but if anybody with more knowledge than me and enough pa5ience to read this c Would weigh in, I'd sure appreciate it!!... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SteveVrettos, Sep 19, 2022.

1. SteveVrettos
    SteveVrettos Guest

Reposting from insiders reddit, but if anybody with more knowledge than me and enough pa5ience to read this c

Would weigh in, I'd sure appreciate it!!

Distillation with fix on Atmos delay at bottom.

Gonna jump in on this because I've been monkey-ing with something similar since January. If nothing else, maybe someone can shed some light on my issue too. I've tested all this on insider Delta and Omega builds and even de-enrolled my series X to test on release build over the last two months on Samsung QN85B, QN85A and TU7000BXZA with Samsung HW-A550/ZA, HW-Q65T/ZA and now HW-Q700A w/ SWA9500S for rear channels. I connect Xbox > TV > Soundbar via ARC/eARC (dependent on hardware in use) and for Dolby Atmos delay on any of these combinations, I found that you can only REDUCE the delay from the TV's sound menu (settings > Sound > Expert > Digital Output Delay) dropping this to zero fixed and setting TV output to passthrough manually fixed my Atmos delay entirely. Don't know about other brands, but adjusting the HDMI delay through self diag on the Sammy TVs or trying the delay adjustment through the Sammy Sound Bars themselves only allows for increase in delay. That's whether I activate Q-Symphony or not. Honestly, it seems like Samsung wants you to use the TV for Audio Processing (HAVE NOT tried with customization svc turn off though) That said, there's an acknowledged CEC issue on Xbox Series across all builds I have tried (can't get into Alpha or skip ahead), and I've found that there's obviously an HDMI handshake issue at play on my personal audio issues (Atmos delay, lack correct audio detection on Xbox). Typically, I can only select stereo uncompressed, Dolby digital 5.1 or Atmos, despite the fact that both the Q65T and Q700A soundbars are capable of multiple other output passes (should have access to EVERYTHING on the Q700A: Stereo/5.1/7.1 uncompressed, Atmos, DD 5.1 and DTS:X) But I don't, unless I switch the display detection on my Xbox to manual HDMI (at which point I lose 4k/HDR capability) HOWEVER! I have also found that, if I disable Game Mode on any of the TVs, 5.1 uncompressed immediately becomes available on the xbox detection menu. No delay, Crystal clear audio. Further, if I cycle CEC off > restart > CEC on > restart on the xbox, 5.1 uncompressed becomes available, even with game mode enabled and stays that way until I either open a streaming video app on the Xbox or switch sources on my tv. Intermittently, 7.1uncompressed shows up as well using this method. (DTS:X is unsupported on Sammy TVs newer than 2020 I believe.) After all that and a whole bunch of other tests that I can list on request, if there's interest, I honestly don't think that it's the Xbox causing the issue. In my case, I'm pretty sure that it's either an EDID or HDCP breakdown in the chain that causes the issue, including the audio delays. Don't know on LG, but the US versions of both the QN85A and QN85B from Sammy are billed as having 4 HDMI 2.1 ports and that is not accurate. They both have ONE HDMI 2.1 port and 3 HDMI 2.0b ports. Regardless of whether I select passthrough on the TV Sound menu, I think that the step-down in bandwidth causes the delay and that the xbox doesn't detect soundbar capabilities on eARC/ARC because the TV firmware passes the the data in a different container. As far as HDCP breakdown possibility, it really seems like the Sammy TVs are where the HDCP query stops since the eARC port is 2.0b billed as 2.1 spec. There is a sneaky, hidden page on samsung.com that expressly states 2021/2022 models only pass DD 5.1, Atmos and Stereo PCM through to ARC or eARC soundbars, regardless of capability. Also, again, I don't know on LG, but if you manually type the url for Samsung's FRENCH site, you can download full service manuals for all in-production/slightly OOP tv models and actually see the true port capabilities, provided you can read French or have the patience to translate the pdfs, rather than have to pay for the US version. Panels are different for the TVs, but port specs are the same. Distillation: 1 - Check TV audio settings first and look for output delay REDUCTION capability and set to passthrough manually. 2 - Check HDMI delay through TV settings (self diag on Sammy) 3 - disable/enable cycle CEC on the Xbox 4 - power everything off(unplug), break all HDMI port connections, wait 5 min, power everything on, wait 5 min, ensure CEC and input signal plus on Sammy TVs (or LG equivalent) is enabled Reconnect HDMI to Audio reciever then to TV, disable and re-enable eARC in TV menu and then select passthrough, reconnect external HDMI to TV then reconnect to Xbox. Check audio. If not resolved, power it all off and power back on FROM THE TV. I know this is a long post. I've reported all this through report a problem on Xbox and let it record screen. Posted in xboxinsiders and got admin hammered. When I have time, I'm going to call Xbox support (always helpful) and see if we can work through it step by step. Samsung tech support is script reading until T3 and that's just when they send a certified tech out. My knowledge is limited, but it really seems like EDID AND HDCP ride in the same container and at least Sammy TV audio processing wants to kick the HDCP to 2.1 on eARC, which isn't compatible with 2.2 or 2.3. When it does that, it tries to re-process the Audio that the Xbox has already processed and breaks the handshake or maybe just tried to recompress the audio input to save power/accommodate the bandwidth step-down (pretty sure that explains the delay AND the skipping in and out) Link below for HDCP white sheets. Maybe someone with more knowledge will take the time to point out where I'm wrong...lol https://www.digital-cp.com/hdcp-specifications

:)

SteveVrettos, Sep 19, 2022
  2. SteveVrettos Win User

I have already submitted one through the xbox insider report a problem process with screen recording,

gamertag postnuclearPIG

I will definitely submit another, but it will be a day or two before I am home. Should I post a reply to this post once I've submitted the report, as well? I did notice that this issue is listed as being looked at in the latest delta ring update notes.
  3. SteveVrettos Win User

Sure Geri, thanks for the reply. As an update, I ran further tests with Xbox support via phone this morning. Long post, but....

Results as follows:

Connection path - Series X > HDMI 2.1 cable > Samsung QN85B HDMI port 4 > QN85B eARC port (2.0b spec) >HDMI 2.1 cable > HW-Q700A eARC port (2.0b marketed as 2.1 48gbps port)

Enabling game mode results in Xbox detecting capability for DD 5.1 (COMPRESSED), Stereo Uncompressed and Atmos. Enabling/disabling game surround sound option in TV game mode settings causes no detection change. Disabling game mode entirely allows detection of 5.1 uncompressed audio capability by Xbox. No lag, no drop out. Crisp and clear audio. However this also disables Auto HDR recognition by TV, even if 4:2:2 check box is enabled in video settings. Games with built in HDR do initiate QMS in TV for HDR mode. As previously noted, in 1 of 20 attempts at cycling CEC on Series X I did get a positive pull for 7.1 uncompressed, but it disabled as soon as I opened a streaming video app.

When switching display mode from auto detect to HDMI in Xbox video settings, Xbox loses positive detection for 4K 60/120, HDR and VRR (I'm aware this is a known issue) however I gain positive detection on additional audio formats the HW-Q700A is capable of. (Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1,

5.1 uncompressed, 7.1 uncompressed and DTS/DTS:X)

Connection Path: Series X > HDMI 2.1 cable > HW-Q700A > HDMI 2.1 cable > QN85B eARC port (HDMI 2.0B) maintained all correct audio detection, lost 120hz green light but oddly VRR remained active. Inadequate time to test actual framerate output in practice.

Xbox series X currently removed from outsider program builds for testing. Video settings enabled : 4k, HDR 10, Auto HDR, 50hz and 24 hz. Display mode auto detect, 10 bit color with profile set as PC RGB. Switching to any combination of 8bit, 10bit, 12bit, standard and/PC RGB makes no difference in settings detection, but set as is produces marked changes when setting TV color profile to bt.2020.

Maybe a whole bunch of nonsense, maybe something I'm missing. I don't know.
  4. Geri M. Win User

Hi SteveVrettos,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forums. We appreciate for sharing your concern with us and we hope that you are doing well today.

We are trying to research more on this issue. Please allow us more time for us to sort out and provide you a more accurate resolution.

We will get in touch as soon as we can gathered more data and some fixes to the problem.

Thank you for posting.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. ELVIS7 Win User

Interesting post, thank you for trying and posting your findings.

I've had the audio delay issue for years and tried everything. I had the nu8000 Samsung TV before and recently got the qn90b and the issue is still present.

My set up is, Xbox series x > qn90b > onkyo 676.

If I do 5.1, stereo uncompressed, mono, there's no delay. There is only an audio delay with dolby atmos for home theatre option.

Your suggestion does not work on my end however, because the only way I can set the qn90b to pass-through is if I unselect the dolby atmos option under it, which allows me to change audio output format from auto or pcm, to pass-through but when I do that, the Xbox series x no longer detects my set up as dolby 5.1/7.1/atmls capable and says not supported so I can't even force the Xbox to output atmos.

As for the qn90b audio delay option, it's already at 0, and the delay is very noticeable in shooter games, but especially while watching movie.
  6. TheBigRigatoni Win User

Any new update on this situation. I have an LG CX hooked up to a Samsung Q90r soundbar. If the Xbox is set to Dolby Atmos there is a noticeable delay. Unfortunately on the LG OLED and the soundbar you can not reduce the audio delay so you can only further increase it. However if I choose 7.1 uncompressed I have no issues.
Thema:

1. Atmos Delay fix (worked for me, at least) and audio detection issues - Similar Threads - Atmos Delay fix

2. Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue: I am having a problem with my setup. The TV and the Xbox One S detect each other perfectly for Dolby Atmos - and it shows the sign when it's on - but every two or so minutes, the sound cuts out...
  3. Dolby Atmos for headphones issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos for headphones issue: Hi all, Recently bought the Microsoft Wireless Headset for my Series X . I paid for the for Dolby Atmos app but I am having an extremely annoying issue with the licence. It keeps advising that I...
  4. Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV)

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV): i have Samsung HW-Q930C/ZF and Samsung QLED 4K 2019 65Q64R, my XBOX SERIES X not dettect option dolby atmos not appear submitted by /u/Zaborks [link] [comments]
  5. Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly: I was playing Inside and I notice that the upmixer only sends audio to the height channels, center and surround channels are blank with no audio. submitted by /u/jay23738 [link] [comments]
  6. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  7. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?: The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type...
  8. Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...

in XBoX on Windows
    Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...: https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/08/digital-foundry-highlights-dolby-atmos-issues-on-xbox-playground-games-engineer-responds Just curious if anyone knows whether this has actually been looked...
  9. Dolby Atmos Xbox audio delay

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos Xbox audio delay: There is an audio delay when using Dolby atmos for gaming on my Xbox Series X. As of writing, Dolby Access, the Xbox OS and the soundbar firmware are all up to date. My setup: 1. Xbox -> HDMI...
  10. Dolby Atmos audio delay or entirely missing on Xbox Series X via TV's eARC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dolby Atmos audio delay or entirely missing on Xbox Series X via TV's eARC: Hi there, I have now a new LG OLED C2 TV with which I want to take advantage of some of the Series X features such as 120 Hz and VRR. And I have a Samsung Q950T Dolby Atmos soundbar that I...