All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller)

Discus and support All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I was in the middle of playing Starfield when the game stopped and said the controller was disconnected. I look down and sure enough, it's turned... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by tonofpudding, Sep 22, 2023.

  1. tonofpudding
    tonofpudding Guest

    All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller)


    I was in the middle of playing Starfield when the game stopped and said the controller was disconnected. I look down and sure enough, it's turned itself off. I replaced the batteries, thinking maybe they died, even though they were fairly fresh.

    When I turned the controller back on, the analog sticks, triggers and home button worked, but none of the face buttons worked at all. It seems like analog input types are working, but no digital button presses. They just spontaneously died in the middle of playing.

    I've tried power cycling the controller, power cycling the console, connecting to the Xbox via USB, connecting to a PC via USB, every suggested troubleshooting step. They all have the same result: Analog inputs are read perfectly fine, but no button presses register at all.

    Hard to tell if it's a hardware or software issue, either one probably has separate components dealing with analog sticks vs button presses, and whatever it was just broke randomly.

    :)
     
    tonofpudding, Sep 22, 2023
    #1
  2. tonofpudding Win User

    All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller)

    Hello ! I'm Kris and I'd be happy to help you with your question. Sorry to hear you have this issue. Sounds like you already have done a ton of triage to see what the issue is. I presume there are no software update for the controller waiting. How old is the controller, if its still under warranty, I would suggest triggering that.
    No, there's no updates available. I installed the latest one about a week ago.

    It's about a year and a half old (bought in April 2022), so the warranty conveniently expired a few months ago.

    In true Microsoft fashion, going through the warranty service claim form ends in

    "There are no service options available. For further assistance, contact us."

    And going through that Contact Us link ends in

    "Phone calls and chats aren't available for this issue." and 'Try the troubleshooting support page';

    Which itself ends in

    "If this doesn’t solve the issue, your controller needs to be replaced."

    And takes you right back to the beginning of the cycle. It's just a loop of handing you off somewhere else without doing anything!
  3. The_Last_DJ Win User

    All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller)

    Hello Tonofpudding! I'm Kris and I'd be happy to help you with your question.

    Sorry to hear you have this issue. Sounds like you already have done a ton of triage to see what the issue is. I presume there are no software update for the controller waiting. How old is the controller, if its still under warranty, I would suggest triggering that.
  4. SenS Alpha Win User

    Complete garbage Xbox 1 controllers

    I am also having issues with my controller analog stick. Mostly it happens when I play Overwatch and the stick "sticks". I am hoping it will be fixed with the controller design for the Xbox Series X.
  5. TripleTopper321 Win User

    Accessibility issue 1 that more than 10% of the public will care about: Genesis style COntorls on Genesi Classics

    Maybe you can try use this Guide -> How to customize an Xbox One Wireless Controller with the Xbox
    Accessories app
    Yes, I know t could work. You don't need an Elite conrtroller for it to work. Heck you don't even need a Microsoft-made controller.

    I remapped buttons on the Power A "ring finger" Wired USB pad, where digital controls can be mapped to each other. Plus the ring finger buttons (as a function of the Power A controller) can be any button including a digitized version of a trigger.

    (P.S. To any joystick hacker who doesn't know how to do analog to digital conversions: would maybe programming the ring finger buttons to be LT and RT and using those programmed digitized buttons to wire a fight stick come in handy? You don't need the analog
    trigger to digital button conversion. That is as long as the memory feature of the ring finger buttons isn't destroyed n the stick making process.)

    i

    Heck, Even my PS2 Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Stick plugged into a PS2-> Xbox One controller adapter does work with the Xbox button OS.

    But they are all limited by the same problem of only LT and RT are swappable with each other. The only way that can be avoided is to have a checkbox for "all digital/Fight Stick Mode"

    Sorry. I just corrected spelling, grammar, and a couple ambiguous sentences.
  6. SwankYeti843 Win User

    Borderlands 2

    I am sure there are plenty of materials to make it out of that would be sturdy. I am so sick of that jerky right analog stick. And having to switch back and forth between the stick and the buttons is stupid, an RPG nightmare. At least this design will free
    the thumb. I am sure that another button would be able to act as the analog stick click.

    I think trackballs died in the 90s, but maybe they could use infrared to track the movements? or a special finger cover to track the movements?

    I just hope this controller gets made ASAP!
Thema:

All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller)

Loading...
  1. All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller) - Similar Threads - digital buttons suddenly

  2. Xbox series X disc to digital issues

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series X disc to digital issues: Howdy all! I have been an insider for about 10 years now and just found this subreddit today! I am trying to do the disc to digital and it’s not giving me the option. I am updated to latest and...
  3. Disc to Digital Discussion Megathread - Week of September 21st, 2026

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Discussion Megathread - Week of September 21st, 2026: Hello XBOX Insiders! After the Announcement about the new Disc to Digital feature, it has begun rolling out to XBOX Insiders enrolled in the XBOX Update Preview. Please use this thread for all...
  4. I applied for insiders for disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    I applied for insiders for disc to digital: I applied four days ago and still haven't got the update. How much longer will I have to wait? Any advice is highly appreciated :) submitted by /u/Icy-Shoulder3870 [link] [comments]
  5. New to insiders hub - disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    New to insiders hub - disc to digital: Hallo, hopelijk niet erg als ik in Nederlands schrijf? Ik ben nieuw in het insider hub programma, net geïnstalleerd. Ik wou heel graag de disc to digital proberen maar zie dit niet staan bij...
  6. Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series: I have reported the issue through the console, but I claimed a digital license to Batman The Telltale Series with the Season Pass Disc, and it gives me the season pass, but not each individual...
  7. Xbox Disc to digital | Eusebio05

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Disc to digital | Eusebio05: Hello, I am a member of the Xbox Insider hub. I have Heard that Xbox Insider can do disc to digital, and I just want to Apply that I can do Disc to digital too it would be very nice. I have such a...
  8. My console doesn't have disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    My console doesn't have disc to digital: I joined the xbox one insider program and joined disc to digital. No Update is available for the Console and there is no disc to digital button. Also nothing claims when I play a disc game....
  9. Disc to digital not working on my xbox series x.

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to digital not working on my xbox series x.: Hi Xbox, I am trying to get the disc to digital on my Series X. However, I am unable to join Insider peogram and don't get the option for Delta Update submitted by /u/FarBath3275 [link] [comments]
  10. Free-map mode: when all buttons are digital

    in XBoX Accessibility
    Free-map mode: when all buttons are digital: First of all I'd like to say the Xbox Adaptive app is really good with accepting digital buttons in analog ports like left trigger and right trigger. Basically the idea is that if you plug a...