After Windows 10 reinstall, XBox app reinstalls all games to external drive even though all...

Discus and support After Windows 10 reinstall, XBox app reinstalls all games to external drive even though all... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I installed all my PC Game Pass games to an external USB 3.0 drive. I was able to run PC games from this drive via the XBox app (installed on the... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by yintang, Jan 2, 2022.

1. yintang
    yintang Guest

After Windows 10 reinstall, XBox app reinstalls all games to external drive even though all...

Hi

I installed all my PC Game Pass games to an external USB 3.0 drive. I was able to run PC games from this drive via the XBox app (installed on the default location on internal C: drive) for several weeks. Unfortunately, my PC recently experienced a major problem and I needed to reinstall Windows 10.

The re-install of Windows 10 went fine, I ensured Windows was fully up-to-date and all drivers, etc were updated. I reinstalled the Game apps (Steam and XBox) .

With Steam, I simply added the same path as before to my Steam games on the external drive and Steam immediately found my games - no further installations were required and the games were all playable.

I have configured the XBox install location exactly as before - the external drive is mapped to the W: drive, exactly as before. With the XBox app, I cannot find a way to stop the XBox app from reinstalling everything, as if I had never installed the games. It is installing to the W: drive as before, even though the game files are already there.

As some XBox games are over 100 GB, this is a significantly annoying issue.

If Steam can cope so easily with a Windows reinstall, why can't PC Game Pass ?

What do I need to do to ensure the XBox App can find the installed games ?

Thanks for your help,

:)

yintang, Jan 2, 2022
  2. Jesse E' Win User

After Windows 10 reinstall, XBox app reinstalls all games to external drive even though all games already installed on external drive.

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

Yes, this is quite an inconvenience sadly, but there isn't a way to make the Xbox App recognise the already installed game on the external drive. This is because of the file encryption on Xbox games on PC. I'm sorry about this.
  3. Farscape247 Win User

After Windows 10 reinstall, XBox app reinstalls all games to external drive even though all games already installed on external drive.

Microsoft went the route of encrypted folders for the games, this is encrypted to that one install of the OS, if you re-install the OS then this breaks the encryption and all games must be downloaded again. steam allows you to access the games folders, Microsoft does not, this is Microsoft version of DRM.
  4. Mixi the Rogue Win User

Microsoft Ultimate Word Games Wordament Level Titles

I have done all this, and even wiped my C drive (formatted), reinstalled windows 10, ran all updates, reinstalled Ultimate Word Games from the MS Store, and it still shows my level title in Wordament as "Wordament Grandmaster" even though I am level 242.

Please look at by profile on the MS side for my gamertag, the issue HAS to be on your side at this point, since I did a completely clean reinstall of the OS, and the game, and it's still there.

G
  5. VecaisVaskis Win User

Xbox Game Pass PC error 0x8007001f when installing games

Hi, sorry for that issue, the problem is the external hard drive, for some reason (I don't know why), the games that require Administrator approval have issue on external drive.
    Thanks for the answer. External hard drive it is not the problem in my case. While trying to find a solution to this Xbox Game pass for PC / Windows Store error I did reinstall Windows 10 on my iMac's internal hard drive. The problem with error 0x8007001f
    persists even when Windows 10 is installed on the internal hard drive.
  6. MarchedAutumn2 Win User

ERROR CODE 0x87DD0005 upon xbox live sign-in

Hi!

It's a problem with app data. Probably some files are corrupt and does not make the Xbox app work properly. Try

uninstalling
    and
    reinstalling
    it. Tell us if you solve.
    Your solution doesn't even tell anyone how to even to reinstall the app via PS.
Thema:

1. After Windows 10 reinstall, XBox app reinstalls all games to external drive even though all... - Similar Threads - Windows reinstall app

2. Can i reinstall windows without deleting my game name msfs, it is not downloaded in c drive...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can i reinstall windows without deleting my game name msfs, it is not downloaded in c drive...: Hey there i bought a game which took me 30 hours to downloaded, becuase of less space on c drive i downloaded it on h drive,rn my windows is driving me crazy i want to know if i reinstall the...
  3. Good evening, I had the following problem: After reinstalling Windows 10 on the servers,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Good evening, I had the following problem: After reinstalling Windows 10 on the servers,...: Good evening, I had the following problem: After reinstalling Windows 10 in the Minecraft game on the servers, everything started to lag, something like ping, but it is stable, in the range of...
  4. Error with Xbox app on PC. (Windows 10 64 BITS) (Tried: Reinstalling both Xbox live app and...

in XboX Insiders
    Error with Xbox app on PC. (Windows 10 64 BITS) (Tried: Reinstalling both Xbox live app and...: I need some help regarding the Xbox app on PC, everytime I try to open a game the following message appears "To enter Xbox, install this structure: Webview2 runtime", then an option appears which...
  5. XBOX PC for Windows APP Would NOT Update & Will NOT Reinstall

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX PC for Windows APP Would NOT Update & Will NOT Reinstall: The XBOX APP will not reinstall on my new computer. Initially, it would not update on my new computer. It is supposed to include 3 months of Xbox Game Pass and the app will not work whatsoever....
  6. Wireless Xbox One PC controller adapter bricked after reinstalling Windows

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wireless Xbox One PC controller adapter bricked after reinstalling Windows: As title states, After reinstalling Windows on my PC the Xbox One controller is totally unresponsive. I’ve tried reinstalling drivers, uninstalling the device and then installing drivers again....
  7. cant backup forza horzizon 5 on my D drive for windows reinstall

in XBoX Games and Apps
    cant backup forza horzizon 5 on my D drive for windows reinstall: i cant copy it it says that i have to be an administrator ven though i am and when i checked and my user has full cntrol permission set on it and it says that i cant edit it because is corrupt or...
  8. Games not showing up after Windows Reinstall

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games not showing up after Windows Reinstall: So, a recent Windows update borked my system so I had to do a fresh reinstall, and afterwards all my data remained the same but none of my games or other programs are showing up. I see that they...
  9. COD Warzone 2.0 does not launch even after reinstalling windows

in XBoX Games and Apps
    COD Warzone 2.0 does not launch even after reinstalling windows: device specs: Intel Pentium Gold G5420 3.8ghz 2core/4threads (idles at 35c, runs at 55c on max use) Kingston KRV24N17D8/16 16gb module x2 (32gb) CL 17 2400mhz, non OC or XMP support MSI H310M...
  10. forza horizon 5 restore after reinstalling windows

in XBoX Games and Apps
    forza horizon 5 restore after reinstalling windows: hi i have forza horizon 5 installed in other drive can i restore it after reinstalling windows without redownloading it ? its about 130~140 gb and kinda hurt to download it again...