4k video not passing through Vizio soundbar

Discus and support 4k video not passing through Vizio soundbar in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently bought a Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar with Dolby Atmos. I plugged the soundbar to my Sony Bravia tv via HDMI arc (not earc). I plugged my series x... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by shagfragn81, Sep 24, 2022.

1. shagfragn81
    shagfragn81 Guest

I recently bought a Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar with Dolby Atmos. I plugged the soundbar to my Sony Bravia tv via HDMI arc (not earc). I plugged my series x to the HDMI input on the soundbar. It worked for a few days, then one day I could not get a signal from my xbox. If I plug the xbox in to the tv directly it works fine except I can't get Dolby Atmos unless the xbox passes through the soundbar. I called Vizio, they had me unplug tv and everything, and plug back in. It worked for a few days, now it won't. If I change the resolution on the xbox to 1080p I get a signal, but can't get anything in 4k. If I plug in my Fire TV cube, or PS4 directly to the soundbar, they work fine, get 4k video and Atmos. The only thing that doesn't work is xbox 4k video. I can play a movie on the xbox and get atmos sound, but no video if I change the resolution to 1080p. I spent over an hour with Microsoft, and we tried changing the soundbar from HDMI arc to another HDMI input. It worked, however, now I get no sound on my cable box, since the cable box was set to get sound via HDMI arc. I (as well as Vizio and Microsoft) don't understand why it worked one day, but now there is no way to get 4k video through the xbox when the xbox is plugged into the soundbar. Anyone have this issue, or how to fix? I have checked and changed any and all settings on the xbox and the tv, nothing works.

:)

shagfragn81, Sep 24, 2022
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

3. shagfragn81 Win User

I tried resetting my console. I tried unplugging and plugging back in everything. I have updated the firmware on my soundbar. I have checked every setting available through the xbox and my Sony TV. I have checked everything. My xbox will not pass through the soundbar unless I have the xbox set to 1080p instead of 4k. That is not an option. The xbox will pass through the soundbar when I connect the soundbar to a non hdmi arc input on my tv. That is also not a good option as that messes up the sound to my cable box and fire tv cube. I have made several calls to Vizio and spent over an hour on the phone with Microsoft. No one has come up with a reason or fix for this. I just don't understand why it worked for about a week, but will now no longer work no matter what I try.
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

Are you doing a full shutdown or putting the console in standby? Do you see the Xbox logo when you boot?
  5. ngocphi Win User

Fpumd it

First and foremost

The vizio only comes with HDMI 2.0 cablw

Are you sure it supports 2.1? You would have to check the cable that comes with your Vizio (ps5 and Xbox series consoles come with hdmi2.1 cables but if going from your soundbar to tv is only 2.0 it won't work

Ps4 doesn't support 4k

Only the ps4 pro does via streaming as it doesn't have UHD MEDIA reading as it doesn't have UHD capabilities

And its upscaled

Not native

Ps4 pro supports 2.0

next gen consoles don't for 4k

You MUST Have hdmi2.1 all the way thru

For eARC yoi don't need 2.1 (check your tv if you are using a hdmi2.1 slot too not just your cables
  6. shagfragn81 Win User

Thanks for your reply. I understand the PS4 does not support 4k, but my Fire TV cube does. I plug my Fire TV into the HDMI in on the soundbar, and it plays in 4k and the soundbar recognizes Atmos. My tv is a Sony Bravia about 3 years old, so it does not have HDMI 2.1. I searched my owners manual, the settings on the tv, and the internet and could not find anywhere what version of HDMI my tv supports. I assume it is 2.0.

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the soundbar, no way to tell which version it is.

What I don't understand is why would my Fire TV pass through the soundbar correctly and provide Atmos sound? And also, why did my Series X work for a short time, and now won't? I was able to watch several UHD Blu-ray discs on the series x and was able to get Atmos. Then a few days ago, the XBox will not pass through the soundbar. I had to plug it back into the tv directly where I cannot get Atmos sound.

Another confusing thing is I plugged the soundbar into a different HDMI input on my tv, not the HDMI arc port (I don't have eARC, just ARC) and the XBox was able to pass through the soundbar correctly. However, this messed up my cable box sound since the soundbar was no longer connected via ARC. I used a digital optical cable for the cable box but had sound sync issues. Could it be some conflict with the HDMI arc input on my tv and the XBox? If that was the case, why did it work for a short time?
Thema:

1. 4k video not passing through Vizio soundbar - Similar Threads - video passing through

2. Old direct X AMD video drivers that only support DirectX 11 work with GAME PASS games but...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Old direct X AMD video drivers that only support DirectX 11 work with GAME PASS games but...: Old Direct X AMD Video Drivers that only support DirectX 11 work with Roblox and Minecraft for windows 10 but all Drivers that support DirectX 12 do not. Why? How do I fix? The Real kicker is they...
  3. Xbox Game Pass Beta app closes when you access a video game's language panel.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Pass Beta app closes when you access a video game's language panel.: When you access the languages panel to see the different languages available in a game such as gears 5, the app closes without warning. submitted by /u/xL3aMS1x [link] [comments]
  4. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (Xbox Game Pass on PC) video driver crashed and...

in XBoX on Windows
    The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (Xbox Game Pass on PC) video driver crashed and...: Every time after a couple minutes my game crashes and report: "video driver crashed and was reset! make sure your video drivers are up to date. Exiting... ". All my drivers are up to date. I...
  5. xbox game pass catalog video should be of gameplay, not cinematic ads

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox game pass catalog video should be of gameplay, not cinematic ads: Would be better to have the videos in xbox game pass catalog include gameplay. Rather, most seem to be just cinematic ads which show no gameplay. I find those unhelpful at best and purposefully...
  6. a short video on how the xbox game pass restored my love for games

in XboX Insiders
    a short video on how the xbox game pass restored my love for games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su2vumFDqy0&feature=youtu.be submitted by /u/NewCodeSource [link] [comments]
  7. NBA League Pass - Unsupported video type or invalid file path

in XBoX Games and Apps
    NBA League Pass - Unsupported video type or invalid file path: Hi everybody :-) I love NBA so I have downloaded NBA League Pass App on my XBOX ONE. The issue is that when I want to see a live game there is an error : "unsupported video file or invalid file...
  8. Xbox video season pass not working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox video season pass not working: I purchased the season pass for season 10 of supernatural and watched the first 9 episodes no problem but now that the 10th episode came out its trying to tell me I have to purchase it. I've...
  9. Xbox video season pass - access from a diff. country?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox video season pass - access from a diff. country?: I currently live in the US, but am soon planning on being in Australia for several months. I recently purchased a season pass for a show through Xbox video, which of course I would like to...
  10. Can Xbox One S pass 4k video through the HDMI input?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can Xbox One S pass 4k video through the HDMI input?: I'm looking to connect a DirecTV 4k Genie to the INPUT of an Xbox One S and want to know if it can pass HDCP 2.2 through to the HDMI output? Xbox Live support chat was unable to answer my question...