2017 Samsung LED/QLED - 4K/HDR detection problems? Start Here!

Discus and support 2017 Samsung LED/QLED - 4K/HDR detection problems? Start Here! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello Xbox One X Owners! I saw some people with newer Samsung TV's having issues with 4K and HDR detection on the Xbox One X posting recently, and I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Hordie, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Hordie
    Hordie Guest

Hello Xbox One X Owners!

I saw some people with newer Samsung TV's having issues with 4K and HDR detection on the Xbox One X posting recently, and I wanted to write a quick list of things to do when this happens.

Unfortunately, Samsung leaves some features off by default after you first run through your TV setup. With these features off the Xbox One X will not detect correct 4K or HDR, and when going through your Xbox video settings if your TV is not compatible for
    4K and HDR gaming. To add the confusion, the menu options on the TV are not very intuitive when it comes to changing and configuring these settings. Additionally, Samsung changed their menu in 2017 so it’s not where it would be on older Samsung models.

Try following the steps below, and hopefully it will fix any video detection issues by the Xbox:
    1. First with the HDMI cable the came with the Xbox One X,
    plug the cable into your Samsung One Connect box, and note the port number.

2017 Samsung LED/QLED - 4K/HDR detection problems? Start Here! [​IMG]

Tip: I would recommend not using HDMI port with the HDMI-CEC label, as that can be used to help control a Home Theater or other
    Anynet+ device if you have one or are planning on getting one.

2. With your TV powered on, use the Samsung TV remote that came with your TV and press the
    “Home” button.

3. When the bottom bar comes up, scroll to the left and open
    “Settings”.

4. In the “Settings” menu scroll down and open
    “General”

5. In the “General” section scroll down and open
    “External Device Manager”

6. In the “External Device Manager” section scroll down and open
    “HDMI UHD Color”.

7. Find the HDMI port number that you plugged your Xbox One X in from "Step 1",
    and click the bubble on the HDMI UHD color, so it lights up with a teal color.

Tip: Also around the External Device Manager menu you'll see options for HDMI Black Levels, Game Mode, and other features. This will all be your preference on if you want to enable or disable, however these take
    over any other settings you made in the picture mode, and I personally found the image quality a bit worse than calibrating the TV myself with custom setting in picture. That said, play around with it, and do whatever you feel looks the best!

Hope this helps! 2017 Samsung LED/QLED - 4K/HDR detection problems? Start Here! :)

- Hydro Skillet

:)

Hordie, Nov 10, 2017
  2. Old Lofty-F6C15296-51A4-4BC1-889C-8055302C326A, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Does the game still support HDR in "performance mode" on XBOX ONE X ?

Okay, please disregard part of that. I had just gotten off a double shift at work and had no sleep.

All 4k TVs are going to have HDMI 2.0 inputs. What I was thinking about were HDCP 2.2 compliant inputs. HDCP 2.2 is basically a means of preventing 4k duplication (it's copy protection). Some TVs may have multiple HDMI 2.0 inputs but will have only one or
    maybe two HDCP 2.2 compliant inputs. If you are going to use any in-between gear such as a home theater receiver, HDMI switching device or anything else that the signal will run through before making it to the TV, make sure EVERYTHING is both HDMI 2.0 capable
    and HDCP 2.2 compliant. Without HDMI 2.0 you won't get 4k and without HDCP 2.2 compliance you won't get HDR. Remember, the picture will only ever be as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Also, when I was talking about OLED TVs... Don't confuse OLED with Samsung's QLED. They are two completely different things. QLED is pretty much just a variant of LCD where OLED is a new technology...

• OLED stands for "organic light emitting diode."
    • QLED (according to Samsung) stands for "quantum dot LED TV."
    • OLED is a fundamentally different technology from LCD, the major type of TV today.
    • QLED is a variation of LED LCD, adding a quantum dot film to the LCD "sandwich."
    • OLED is "emissive," meaning the pixels emit their own light.
    • QLED, like LCD, is, in its current form, "transmissive" and relies on an LED backlight.

OLED is the superior display type. Regardless of the brand you buy, all the panels are actually made by LG, but there's more to the picture quality than just the panel. All of the other components and the software that drives it are just as important. That's
    where Sony is vastly superior. If you want to go QLED, Samsung is the only choice. If you want OLED, Sony is the way to go. Even if you don't want to go with either QLED or OLED, I would still start my search with Sony & Samsung. Beyond those, Sharp is great
    if you can find one (I believe they have stopped making displays). Even though they are relatively inexpensive, Vizio makes some nice stuff too.

Whatever you go with, gaming in 4k with HDR is absolutely amazing!

Steampunk Cyber, Nov 10, 2017
  4. Jamie McL
    Jamie McL Guest

Very useful, thanks for the post Hydro 2017 Samsung LED/QLED - 4K/HDR detection problems? Start Here! :)

I have a Q7F, it seems every time I turn the TV on it automatically turns my X1X on as well. Any suggestions to stop this happening? It's in HDMI 1 currently, I wonder if that is some sort of default auto-power on for the HDMI-CEC controls?

Thanks

J

Jamie McL, Nov 12, 2017
  5. Hordie
    Hordie Guest

Hi there, and thanks. My TV didn't do that, and I'm not aware of it having an IR blaster. It's possible, but I don't think my model has it, and it's the highest non QLED. Also without CEC it wouldn't be possible as Xbox doesn't support CEC control.

Hordie, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Jamie McL
    Jamie McL Guest
    Thanks, that's put me in the right direction. You're right, X1X doesn't support CEC control. I think IR blasting must be the appropriate method? I'll remove my Xbox from the Universal Remote setup - that should probably help. Details here about setup

Control Devices with Your TV Remote

Thanks

Jamie McL, Nov 20, 2017
  7. jtravapd
    jtravapd Guest
    also every Samsung owner needs to know what their tv can do. If you bought one Of the cheaper models from Walmart etc almost all of them only allow HDR turned on on hdmi 1.

I have a ks9000 and still had to manually turn on HDR on all four HDMI ports.

Another Samsung thing. I don’t know about the 2017 models but if it’s last years or older and you can only turn on HDR on HDMI 1, there is a very good chance your tv only has a 8-bit panel and won’t be able to display HDR properly. Knowing this is will
    save you time when trying to figure out how to Get all those green check marks when you click on video output advanced details under the Xbox one settings menu

jtravapd, Nov 1, 2018
  8. Jamie McL Win User

Very useful, thanks for the post Hydro :)

I have a Q7F, it seems every time I turn the TV on it automatically turns my X1X on as well. Any suggestions to stop this happening? It's in HDMI 1 currently, I wonder if that is some sort of default auto-power on for the HDMI-CEC controls?

Thanks

J
  9. jtravapd Win User

also every Samsung owner needs to know what their tv can do. If you bought one Of the cheaper models from Walmart etc almost all of them only allow HDR turned on on hdmi 1.

I have a ks9000 and still had to manually turn on HDR on all four HDMI ports.

Another Samsung thing. I don’t know about the 2017 models but if it’s last years or older and you can only turn on HDR on HDMI 1, there is a very good chance your tv only has a 8-bit panel and won’t be able to display HDR properly. Knowing this is will
    save you time when trying to figure out how to Get all those green check marks when you click on video output advanced details under the Xbox one settings menu
  10. Jamie McL Win User

Thanks

J

Hi there, and thanks. My TV didn't do that, and I'm not aware of it having an IR blaster. It's possible, but I don't think my model has it, and it's the highest non QLED. Also without CEC it wouldn't be possible as Xbox doesn't support CEC control.
    Thanks, that's put me in the right direction. You're right, X1X doesn't support CEC control. I think IR blasting must be the appropriate method? I'll remove my Xbox from the Universal Remote setup - that should probably help. Details here about setup

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062207/

Thanks
  11. Hordie Win User

Thanks

J

12. Niko1664 Win User

Monitors and tv

Personnaly i playing on Samsung QLED 64" 4K, it's perfect ! Was on LED 55" before. Aim to an 4K screen if you can.
Thema:

1. 2017 Samsung LED/QLED - 4K/HDR detection problems? Start Here! - Similar Threads - 2017 Samsung LED

2. My xbox x(2017) was freezing. Everytime when I'm play GTA5. How can i fix that.?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox x(2017) was freezing. Everytime when I'm play GTA5. How can i fix that.?: When I'm start GTA5. And play only for 5 minutes xbox was freezing. Give me suggestions how can i fix. 6e225007-061b-461e-8b53-96d31f63a51d
  3. I have an account since 2017 and i Just got banned for i dont even know the reason how can...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an account since 2017 and i Just got banned for i dont even know the reason how can...: I have an account since 2017 and i Just got banned for i dont even know the reason how can i be deban ? 95f9e7d2-386c-49ca-a800-006ac7e79707
  4. Games freezing and stuttering on 2017 prebuilt

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games freezing and stuttering on 2017 prebuilt: I have this prebuilt that I got back from 2017. I upgraded it with a SATA Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB and two 8 GB sticks of Corsair Vengence RAM. Just over the past year I've been having some...
  5. Same as someone said in 2017 enfocement systeme is broken

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Same as someone said in 2017 enfocement systeme is broken: Frist off all sorry for bad English not native The enforcement systeme is broken as hell Xbox need to worck on it cus fake acusation is frustrating. I give some context here Im minding my...
  6. When do we get new Wordament Adventure Maps? The last Extra Maps I have are dated 2017.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    When do we get new Wordament Adventure Maps? The last Extra Maps I have are dated 2017.: When do we get new Wordament Adventure Maps? The last Extra Maps I have are dated 2017. 6c9ca0db-e8f7-4c33-9f87-66af5bdbcd46
  7. Xbox One X purchased 2017, no audio except through headphones

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X purchased 2017, no audio except through headphones: I bought my Xbox One X in 2017. I know it's really time to retire it but I can't afford the new console. Recently I had to hook up the console to a Hitachi TV that I bought sometime around 2013....
  8. Recovering Email to xbox account I shared with friend in 2017-2018, how do I do this?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Recovering Email to xbox account I shared with friend in 2017-2018, how do I do this?: Hello, I'm trying to find the email to an account that I used to share with my friend on Fortnite during 2017-2018, but not sure where to start. He doesn't have the details so I'm trying to find...
  9. My Minecraft xbox one edition world will not update to Minecraft 2017, what do i do?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Minecraft xbox one edition world will not update to Minecraft 2017, what do i do?: This world is survival superflat and has been around since Title update seven on the Xbox 360 i want to update this world but Minecraft 2017 keeps crashing at 58%...
  10. One of my games (Battlefront 2, 2017) is no longer showing up in my library after...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    One of my games (Battlefront 2, 2017) is no longer showing up in my library after...: Battlefront 2, like all of my games is installed on an external hard-drive. After attempting to open it multiple times today, I kept getting the following error code: "Check your internet...