Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.

Discus and support Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I am on a wired connection using University Internet. My issue started yesterday when my xbox internet randomly shut off. Me and my roommate both have... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TheSwansonator5, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.

I am on a wired connection using University Internet. My issue started yesterday when my xbox internet randomly shut off. Me and my roommate both have xbox ones that are connected to the internet using a switch so we both can be connected at the same time.
    We have been connected for about a month and have never had any issues playing xbox live at the same time. Yesterday both of our xbox's disconnected from the internet, so we did some trouble shooting techniques, like hard resetting the xbox, unplugging and
    replugging back in the switch for our ethernet cables. etc. His xbox now works online after doing the simple steps and restarting stuff, but mine has not been able to connect to the internet since it originally went out. The issue is not the ethernet cable
    because it works on my macbook, I've tried his ethernet as well and it doesn't work even though it works on his. Ive tried about every troubleshooting that the website has including extra techniques that the customer support reps suggested.

I have:

• tried another ethernet cord
    • set DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • hard reset
    • unplug switch/plug back in
    • return settings to Automatic
    • entered mac address from my macbook
    None of these have worked and I was wondering if there were any other techniques that i could try before i just give up and potentially see if i can trade it in under warranty.

:)

TheSwansonator5, Sep 15, 2015
  2. iStr8xLegit
    iStr8xLegit Guest
    Bridge connections help!

"Your DNS server can't resolve the names of the Xbox LIVE servers or Xbox.com"

iStr8xLegit, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Xbox 360 Networking

As none of the chats or calls are connecting!!!!

When i test my connection, it says 'Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names'??

CleverColt81129, Sep 15, 2015
  4. zanswer
    zanswer Guest

@TheSwansonator5 hey hey

What can be done in such situation, first cold reboot, second reseting network settings to factory defaults and last contacting university NOC for assist.

Let's try first two:

1. Press and hold Xbox button on Your console for about 8 seconds

2. Wait, light on power supply must change it's color from white to orange

3. Unplug power supply from outlet for about 30 seconds

4. Power on Your console

5. Check if this helps, if not go to step 6

6. Press Menu button on Your controller

7. Select Settings

8. Select Network Settings

9. Select Advanced Network Settings

10. Select Alternative MAC Address

11. Select Clear

If those steps will not help, then contact university NOC for assistant, because they can change their network policies or security policies.

And they can sniff network packets, to check what's wrong with DNS request/responses, so You'll get real vision on problem, if console send DNS request and get back DNS response, then it's console issue. If it send DNS request and do not get DNS response,
    then it's not console issue.

So with knowledge what is real situation with DNS request/responses we'll select appropriate strategy to fix Your issue.

zanswer, Sep 15, 2015
  5. iStr8xLegit Win User

Bridge connections help!

"Your DNS server can't resolve the names of the Xbox LIVE servers or Xbox.com"
  6. VernierSlake Win User

Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE server names

7. Player867070838 Win User

BT Home Hub and Xbox Live

My Xbox hasn't got built in wifi, which is why I'm using an ethernet cable.

I'm getting the error "your dns server can't resolve xbox live server names".

My xbox connects to the network but not the internet.

And I have tried setting Googles DNS servers and the OpenDNS servers, which resulted in it not even connecting to the network
  8. Mario Super1 Win User

DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.

No, because it's an Xbox 360 and I would need a WiFi adapter to connect wireless and wired is most.of the time better option, I have also run a diagnostic ping test from my router to the Xbox and even though it shows as being connected to the network, the console received the pings but couldn't send them back to the router, it seems there could be a hardware problem.
  9. The_Last_DJ Win User

DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.

Hello Mario S! I'm Kris and I'd be happy to help you with your question.

Have you tried setting a different manual DNS such as Googles? 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4
Thema:

1. Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names. - Similar Threads - DNS server can't

2. Xbox error DNS isn't resolving Xbox Server Names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox error DNS isn't resolving Xbox Server Names.: So I turned on my xbox and found it shows as offline. "Forgot" my wifi, and reset the network. Hard rebooted xbox. Power cycled xbox and router. Checked router settings (no issues), tried...
  3. xbox 360 dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names error

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names error: Hello there, whenever i try to connect my xbox 360 to the internet, it gives me a message saying "dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names". It connects to my router when testing the...
  4. DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.: DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names. I have an old Xbox 360 that connects to the network via internet cable, but it wont connect to the internet, the main error i have...
  5. dns isn’t resolving xbox server names

in XBoX on Consoles
    dns isn’t resolving xbox server names: so i can’t play online games because it keeps saying “DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names” and i’ve already tried restarting the router, hard resetting the xbox, and changing the dns setting...
  6. The DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names

in XBoX on Consoles
    The DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names: hi, I m not able to connect to Xbox Live server, tried many options available on Xbox support not able to connect. bc2434ca-803d-473a-93e3-5974354504dd
  7. DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE server names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE server names.: Before getting started with these steps, you will want to make sure that you have your wireless password if you are on a wireless connection. These steps will clear out any manual settings you...
  8. DNS Error - The DNS server can't resolve xbox live server names

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS Error - The DNS server can't resolve xbox live server names: Hi, I have been going out of my mind here trying to connect my machine. I have my connection coming in from a fibre optic cable to my router to my pc's and my xbox machine. All setup fine,...
  9. Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox live server names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox live server names.: I have been having this issue for a few days now, 3 or 4 now at least, i have done everything, from restarting the modem/gateway i have from comcast to simply restoring network settings to factory...
  10. DNS Server can't resolve xbox user names

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS Server can't resolve xbox user names: What Country/State/Province do you live in? US, California Modem brand & model number: Aris TG862 Router brand & model number: Same If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter,...