You can't set the default install location to this folder.

Discus and support You can't set the default install location to this folder. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; im trying to install forza horizon 5 from xbox app , when i click on install it tells me that i dont have enough space and it let me change forza... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Emmanuel Uribe, Aug 24, 2023.

1. You can't set the default install location to this folder.

im trying to install forza horizon 5 from xbox app , when i click on install it tells me that i dont have enough space and it let me change forza installation place i clicked on my other disc and it let me choose a file where to install when i click on any file it says , you can't set your default install location to that folder.

I have a Dell XPS 17 9720, with 2 SSD NVME M.2 Gen 4.0 drives. Below the detailed partitions of each:

Disc 1 (512GB - For system files and boot only): this one came with the PC from factory

• OS (CYou can't set the default install location to this folder. :) - 457.49 GB NTFS (Bitlocker Encrypted) / Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic Data Partition
    • 990 MB Recovery Partition
    • 16.75 GB Recovery Partition
    • 1.39 GB Recovery Partition
    Disc 2 (1TB - For games, pictures, movies, etc): this one was added afterwards for more space (Samsung 980PRO)

• 931.50 GB NTFS (bitlocker Encrypted) / Basic Data partition
    I've tried these options:

1) Reset windows to default state

2) Install/uninstall Microsoft Store and Xbox app

3) Re-install Gaming Services via appstore and via Powershell

4) Changing security permissions in both C: and D: drives by giving administrator permissions to both.

5) Used the system default option of "Set this location by default for saving new apps", this one was set to D:\

6) Many other Microsoft and Reddit posts.

Why is that when using Steam it allows the instalation in C: or D: but with Microsoft this can't happen?

:)

Emmanuel Uribe, Aug 24, 2023
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume your problem has been solved. We won't be monitoring this topic going forward, so if you need more help, please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com).

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Emmanuel Uribe,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Based on the description, you are trying to install the game to other drive and is unable to because of the error message. Let us check and see on what we can do to help resolve your concern in a timely manner.

We would like to ask few questions to help us isolate the issue further.

1. Which drive did you choose where you can install Forza Horizon 5?

2. For Samsung 980PRO, is it a removable or external storage? Did you assign the storage as drive D?

3. In your Xbox app settings, have you set the drive where you want to install the games and apps?

4. For the drive you have selected where you want to install the game, does it have enough space?

5. Can you provide the edition and version of Windows you are using? To check, press Windows key+ R and

For the meantime, here are the troubleshooting steps that we can perform:

1. Make sure Windows is up to date

• Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
    • On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.
    • On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available including optional updates for your device.
    • Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.
    • Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.
    2. Select the default drive where you can save your game and apps.

• First, open the PC Settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut Win + I.
    • Go to the "System → Storage" page in the Settings app.
    • On the right page, click on the "Change where new content is saved" link under More Storage Settings section.
    • Under the "New apps will save to" option, select your target drive from the drop-down menu and click on the "Apply" button.
    • You may select the desired drive from the drop-down menu.
    • Go back to the Xbox App and try to select the drive and see if that worked.

You may also check a similar thread where some members in the community share some steps on how to resolve the issue. You can find the link of the thread here: Installing xbox apps to another drive - Microsoft Community

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. championdonut23 Win User

Xbox App made to change install location, causes bluescreen

I've now got control over the folder, but it still doesn't let me set it as the default install location. When I try to, it comes up with the error message 'You can't set your default install location to that folder. Try another one.'
  5. WattyNuela Win User

you can't set your default install location to that folder xbox

Hello Abbas, this is Manuela. I'm an Independent Advisor and community user like you, ready to assist with this.
    Not a Microsoft employee.

I'll be happy to assist with this, however, I require that you can share more information about this:

Is this happening on PC, right?
    Which Windows edition are you using?
    What procedures you tried to fix this until now?
  6. Rahim Moidin1 Win User

you can't set your default install location to that folder on xbox app

Hi Nathan.

Create the folder "XboxGames" , go to folder properties, under the security tab - select everyone and give it full control.
Thema:

1. You can't set the default install location to this folder. - Similar Threads - can't set default

2. Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...: Please fix it soon I have a job to do and want to play a few games before I gotta go to work but lately you guys have been having issues with your things and it's slightly missing me off, you guys...
  3. Can't set default install location when trying to install a game.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't set default install location when trying to install a game.: I just purchased the PC game pass and am having issues trying to download any games. I only have the C: drive so picking a different drive won't do anything. I've tried restarting, reinstalling,...
  4. you can't set your default install location to that folder on xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    you can't set your default install location to that folder on xbox app: im trying to install forza horizon 5 from xbox app , when i click on install it tells me that i dont have enough space and it let me change forza installation place i clicked on my other disc and...
  5. Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default...: I can choose my external E: drive in the drive selection menu, but when I try to select the folder I get: [img] I am on a fresh install of Windows and I've already tried reinstalling Xbox app...
  6. Can't set default save location to specific drive.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't set default save location to specific drive.: ติดตั้งเกม Forza Horizon 4 ลงไดร์ D ไม่ได้ ทำตามวิธีอื่นแล้วมาติดแบบนี้ ตาม าพ [img] b2a4c086-416f-46cd-9843-38fe57d5fa13
  7. Can't set up Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app [Android]

in XBoX on Mobile
    Can't set up Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app [Android]: Can't setup my Xbox One as default on the Xbox Game Pass app for Android. When I click on any game and then I click on "Install on Xbox" (the green box at the bottom of the screen), the app shows...
  8. I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app

in XBoX on Mobile
    I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app: Im struggling with setting my Xbox One as default on the Xbox Game Pass app for Android. When I click on any game and then I click on "Install on Xbox" (the green box at the bottom of the screen),...
  9. I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app

in XBoX on Mobile
    I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app: I have aready hard reset my xbox, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. The settings are instant on and remote downloads This is becoming so frustrating I have called support and that...
  10. I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app

in XBoX on Mobile
    I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app: I'm struggling with setting my Xbox One as default on the Xbox Game Pass app for Android. When I click on any game and then I click on "Install on Xbox" (the green box at the bottom of the...