XBOX360 controller adapter won't work after motherboard upgrade

Discus and support XBOX360 controller adapter won't work after motherboard upgrade in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, yesterday I upgraded my rig (motherboard, CPU, RAM) and my XBOX wireless adapter doesn't work. When I boot the PC there is a green light on the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mi Tu, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Mi Tu
    Mi Tu Guest

Hi,

yesterday I upgraded my rig (motherboard, CPU, RAM) and my XBOX wireless adapter doesn't work.

When I boot the PC there is a green light on the adapter which turns off as soon as the Windows10 boot logo shows. Then it blinks for less than a second and stays off.

In the device manager the adapter is visible and reported as problematic:

This Device Cannot Start (code 10)

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API

I've tried everything I googled including:

- plugging to another USB ports,

- reinstalling adapter and USB controllers drivers,

- cleaning the register (note: there were no upper and lower filters),

- running the troubleshooter,

The adapter works just fine connected to Win11 HP laptop and worked fine on the old rig.

All the other USB devices work fine.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, You’re my only hope.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

:)

Mi Tu, Sep 25, 2023
  2. Cliff A. Win User

Hi Mi Tu

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community

For now, you can try updating a SATA driver. We understand your experience on this, as it turns out. As we isolated this issue. The controller is working on your old build on your device rather than the upgraded one and it started from there.

As we have known, Xbox 360 controllers are already outdated and is not available on the market anymore and any updates on the controller specifically Xbox 360 controller is unable to be updated anymore.

Since it is working on your old setup, the best options that we can recommend for today is that the only thing that we can do right now is to use your controller on your Windows 11 device that is being detected and the old setup. Because the upgraded motherboard did not connect. Thus, there is what we called COMPATIBILITY ISSUES. And since your motherboard is upgraded, your Xbox 360 is not anymore updated and that is the reason why perhaps this is happening.

The only way we can use that controller of yours is to attach it on the Windows 11 device that you have used and had been detected and on your old PC setup.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your issue. I hope all of this information's are helpful.

Regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Cliff A. Win User

Hi Mi Tu

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community

Thank you for the efforts on replying onto this thread and as well as we will try to find other options within this issue of yours. We do understand that you have already tried all the possible options and fixes within your device on connecting your Xbox360 Controller adapter.

And just to summarize everything and land to the main context, we have isolated that it is really not the issue on your controller since it is working on different devices which you are correct on that. This means, it lands to the point that your device is the one that has issues with.

We do understand as well that you have upgraded your motherboard, but for now. You can try to download or update drivers of your motherboard on the Gigabyte website since it is your manufacturer. And search for SATA drivers or UTILITY drivers that has packages and try to install them and connect your controller once again.

In addition, we just want to set your proper expectations that there might be possibilities that your upgraded motherboard does not support or compatible on the Xbox 360 controller adapter that you have, but in any case, you can as well refer on this support article on setting up your Xbox 360 controller for Windows. For your reference, click on this link: Set up an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your issue. I hope all of this information's are helpful. We look forward on your response.

Regards,

4. Mi Tu Win User

Hello Cliff,

thank you for your reply. Here are the required information:

1. Motherboard model is Gigabyte B760 GAMING X DDR4.

2. As stated in the original post: I have reinstalled adapter and USB controllers drivers. Many times, including the ones visible only after unchecking "Show compatible hardware".

3. As stated in the original post: The adapter works just fine connected to Win11 HP laptop.

4. As stated in the original post: I've tried plugging to another USB ports. Both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

5. As stated in the original post: In the device manager the adapter is visible and reported as problematic:

This Device Cannot Start (code 10)

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the APIThe Xbox Accessories app is for Xbox X/S or One. I am having trouble with Xbox 360 Wireless receiver.

It is only visible as a "Xbox 360 peripherals", not under USB controllers.

6. I do not have another Xbox 360 Wireless receiver to test. But the one I have works on other computer so I don't think it's broken.

In the meantime I upgraded my OS from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but it didn't solve the problem.

Best regards
  5. Cliff A. Win User

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Support. I understand that you are having issues with your Xbox 360 controller adapter after upgrading your motherboard. I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.

We just want to set your proper expectations on this that there might be compatibility issues in regards with upgrading your new motherboard thus your Xbox Wireless adapter is not connecting since we have isolated and understood your concern that his started to happen on the upgrade. For now, if any case issue persist then we may need to let you know on more information's needed if this will not work.

To get started, I'd like to ask a few questions to better understand the problem that you're facing:

• What is the make and model of your new motherboard?
    • Have you installed the latest drivers for the adapter?
    • Have you tried connecting the adapter to a different computer to see if it works?

We just want to ask this kind of questions since as we isolated and understood your description, you have upgraded a new motherboard and other internal devices on your PC.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Unplug the adapter from your computer and plug it back in. Sometimes, a simple reconnection can fix the issue.

2. Check if the adapter is recognized in the Device Manager. To do this, right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager. Look for the Xbox 360 controller adapter under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section. If it is listed, right-click on it and select "Update driver". Follow the on-screen instructions to update the driver.

3. Download the Xbox Accessories app. Since you are on a new setup, you may need to download the Xbox Accessories app as well for other updates or configuration on your Xbox wireless adapter.

4. If possible, if you have a spare or extra Xbox wireless adapter that you can try to install on your new setup on your PC that is 1 option too since we need also to isolate if it will work on your new setup if both of your wireless adapter will connect on your PC.

In addition, you can try to utilize and refer on this support articles for reference, click here:

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your issue. I hope all of this information's are helpful. We look forward on your response.

Regards,

6. Mi Tu Win User

Hello Cliff,

The only SATA drivers I find on Gigabyte's drivers download webpage )https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboar...ev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci) are:

Intel SATA Preinstall driver
    (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
    (Note) Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

There are no Utility drivers available.

Could you please confirm that installing SATA drivers mentioned above may potentially fix a problem with Xbox360 controller not functioning? I'm no expert but I always thought SATA is for HDD/SDD drives not USB devices.

Best regards
Thema:

1. XBOX360 controller adapter won't work after motherboard upgrade - Similar Threads - XBOX360 controller adapter

2. How do I erase parental control passcode in xbox360 if the previous owner did not erase...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I erase parental control passcode in xbox360 if the previous owner did not erase...: How can I erase the family settings on an Xbox 360 such as parental guidance if the previous owner did not erase everything before selling it, I use the console to stream, I tried opening internet...
  3. Purchased a used xbox360 that was not reset, and it has parental controls enabled

in XBoX on Consoles
    Purchased a used xbox360 that was not reset, and it has parental controls enabled: So, as the title says. I purchased a used xbox360, and the previous owner did not remove the parental controls before selling it. With the Xbox One, I can use a USB to do a total reset of the...
  4. how to hook up xbox360 controller to laptop

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how to hook up xbox360 controller to laptop: how to hook up xbox360 controller to laptop 9de5f1f2-8511-4276-a5b7-788899960d7b
  5. xbox360 parenting control

in XBoX Accessibility
    xbox360 parenting control: hello i bought already used xbox360 i can't play games with restrictions over 18 years (i'm much over 18) ka remove family control and password. f6d7b092-0d90-448f-a815-f767e4f0ce7f
  6. Control Microsoft Xbox360 cuando vibra se me apaga [Good afternoon Microsoft Xbox360...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Control Microsoft Xbox360 cuando vibra se me apaga [Good afternoon Microsoft Xbox360...: Buenas tardes, Tengo 3 controles que compré originales ellos, y siempre me pasa con cualquiera de los 3, que cuando vibra en algun encontronazo en el FIFA 20 se me apaga.. no puedo jugar mas...
  7. Controle com fio não conecta Xbox360[Wired Control Does Not Connect to Xbox360]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controle com fio não conecta Xbox360[Wired Control Does Not Connect to Xbox360]: Boa noite, tenho um controle com fio original, nunca deu problema, porém há alguns dias quando eu conecto o usb a luz do controle acende por 1 segundo e apaga, tiro o cabo, coloco denovo e a mesma...
  8. Second hand XBOX360 parental control

in XBoX on Consoles
    Second hand XBOX360 parental control: Hello, i just bought a second hand XBOX360, but it seems previos owner installer parental control, and i can't remove it, since i can't contact him anymore. How can i fix it please ? i'm...
  9. Hi i need help reset parental control pasword xbox360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hi i need help reset parental control pasword xbox360: Help need to reset parental pasword on my xbox360 E,i dont find the paper anymore where i wryte down the pasword,any sugestion or help? 3c38403a-2230-4b25-bc60-0d40df090e37
  10. how to disable the parent control on xbox360

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to disable the parent control on xbox360: I had put parental control and now I have forgot the passcode and the security questions, how to recover from it. 18b13281-35c1-460f-860e-1efa122f8c0e