Xbox won't connect to wifi because it thinks there is a network cable plugged in (there isn't)

Discus and support Xbox won't connect to wifi because it thinks there is a network cable plugged in (there isn't) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Upon testing internet connection, the xbox says there is a hardware problem, and it needs to be repaired. I have never had a wired connection, always... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Leinad2010, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Leinad2010
    Leinad2010 Guest

Xbox won't connect to wifi because it thinks there is a network cable plugged in (there isn't)

Upon testing internet connection, the xbox says there is a hardware problem, and it needs to be repaired. I have never had a wired connection, always been on wifi.

:)

Leinad2010, Nov 19, 2016
  2. WPAK
    WPAK Guest
    Networking hardware question

Hi there,

simple question indeed, but as far as I know there is no technical details about that.

I do know that when a cable is connected you won't be able to select Wifi (connect to the wifi network) as network option.

And since as far as I know the Wifi option is only one that can connect to a wifi network, it in itself isn't broadcasting in a way that other devices can find or connect to the console via Wifi, as in it's not a hotspot etc.

3. Says cable is plugged in, but there isn't one.

For some reason my xbox has recently developed an issue. It won't connect to the internet because it says there is an Ethernet cable plugged in, but it hasn't got one. I can't connect until it is "unplugged." I've looked and looked for an answer, but haven't
    found one. The closest thing is how to solve the error "You chose a wireless network connection, but there's a network cable plugged in" which, would have been helpful if there really was one plugged in! Please help.

GoDieInTheWeeds, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Qwertei
    Qwertei Guest

Can you attempt a power cycle, hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds and then release the console should power down. Unplug it from receiving power and sending HDMI signals wait up to 5 minutes with no interruption once done plug it back in
    boot it up and wait for the green boot logo to pass.

Qwertei, Nov 19, 2016
  5. Qwertei Win User

Can you attempt a power cycle, hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds and then release the console should power down. Unplug it from receiving power and sending HDMI signals wait up to 5 minutes with no interruption once done plug it back in
    boot it up and wait for the green boot logo to pass.
  6. NavneetSriram Win User

Xbox game pass ultimate

My WiFi cable is plugged in the Xbox. Do I remove the cable to test the network connection?
  7. WPAK Win User

Networking hardware question

Hi there,

simple question indeed, but as far as I know there is no technical details about that.

I do know that when a cable is connected you won't be able to select Wifi (connect to the wifi network) as network option.

And since as far as I know the Wifi option is only one that can connect to a wifi network, it in itself isn't broadcasting in a way that other devices can find or connect to the console via Wifi, as in it's not a hotspot etc.
  8. Ronald :3 Win User

Ethernet Connection Between XBox One & PC Causing Issues..........

If you plug in an Ethernet cable to your PC, the WiFi connection will stop on your PC because it should only be using the Ethernet connection. The only reason that I can think of for WiFi connecting and dropping is a problem with your Ethernet cable. If
    changing the Ethernet cable doesn't work,
    support.xbox.com/.../connect-live-using-pc
    try looking at that link to see if it can help you with your shared connection setup. Sorry I can't be of my help.
  9. Just a Volunteer Win User

My Xbox series s recently connected wirelessly, but now will not. Will only connect via Ethernet cable. Why?

The console will not connect to WiFi (wireless) if there is a ethernet cable plugged into the console. Disconnect the ethernet cable and restart the console. It should allow you to input the WiFi SSID and passcode to connect from the detected list in Network Settings.
Thema:

1. Xbox won't connect to wifi because it thinks there is a network cable plugged in (there isn't) - Similar Threads - won't connect wifi

2. My xbox won't connect to my college's wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox won't connect to my college's wifi: For most of the year, I had my series S connected to my university's wifi because I live in the dorms here. I had to approve its MAC address at the beginning of the year, and it worked fine....
  3. Xbox one I forgot the model it's the white sideways one won't connect to wifi but my tablet...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one I forgot the model it's the white sideways one won't connect to wifi but my tablet...: I have a xbox one and when i tried to playing again today, i wasn't connected to the wifi. It may have been i unplugged it for my other Xbox for undertale, but I doubt it. When I click "connect to...
  4. My xbox won't connect to any wifi network

in XboX Insiders
    My xbox won't connect to any wifi network: My xbox series s won't connect to any wifi network. Home internet, mobile hotspot, neighbors. Please help submitted by /u/PooterScooter0 [link] [comments]
  5. Why won't my xbox connect to the wifi?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox connect to the wifi?: Ive tried everything to connect it but it won't work. Sometimes it works but like a day later it stops working randomly. 0316c303-d4c8-4996-81aa-a1f18b205da8
  6. Why won't my Xbox connect to WiFi?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox connect to WiFi?: My Xbox for no reason no longer connects to WiFi. When I try set up a WiFi connection it doesn't give me options of nearby WiFi to connect to b032a48d-2b03-44e2-b939-99547c977ddb
  7. Trying to connect to xbox live and it won't connect to the wifi.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trying to connect to xbox live and it won't connect to the wifi.: Gives me an error. I just wanted to buy kelfings and charlie murder on the store 4e63d42e-c2c4-4e2e-8992-8e8cbb907745
  8. Xbox won't connect to wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox won't connect to wifi: Hi, I can't connect my xbox to my WiFi, it worked OK before but now it won't connect, can you please help, thanks 7d402720-3f23-4a1c-b17e-d08f4f65306d
  9. Xbox series x won't connect to wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x won't connect to wifi: I've fried resetting both the console and the router and nothing works, messed with just about every setting I can and still it won't connect. ab0fe51b-b439-4fa4-96f2-6eed989bbddc
  10. Xbox series x won't connect to the WiFi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x won't connect to the WiFi: Hello, my xbox the last few days hadn't been connecting to the WiFi upon startup, so I had to factory reset just to get it to connect to my WiFi, it wouldn't have any other wireless connections on...