Xbox Wireless Controller won't connect to PC Game Pass

Discus and support Xbox Wireless Controller won't connect to PC Game Pass in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Today when I went to turn on my PC and open up gamepass, I was shown a small alert that said "No controller is connected" last night I had used the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jeremiah Tang, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Xbox Wireless Controller won't connect to PC Game Pass

Today when I went to turn on my PC and open up gamepass, I was shown a small alert that said "No controller is connected" last night I had used the same controller without any issue but this morning it wasn't working. I went out and bought a brand new Xbox wireless controller to see if it would work but it still shows the same message and won't allow me to play any games. My PC says the controller is connected, I have tried the controller with several other games like fortnite, and it works perfectly fine. But for some reason Xbox gamepass will not recognize the controller. I have even tried going on the website and still nothing. I have restarted my computer dozens of times and tried unpairing and repairing the controller but nothing seems to work.

:)

Jeremiah Tang, Nov 6, 2023
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Windows 10 does not recognize the Xbox 360 controller

Hi,

I suspect you're attempting to connect an Xbox 360 wireless controller to your PC using a Play & Charge cable? Effectively making it a wired controller?

I'm afraid this won't work. Unlike Xbox One/Series X controllers, wireless 360 controllers are always wireless, connecting a Play & Charge simply charges the battery or powers the controller if no battery is present. Unfortunately the cable doesn't send data.

The only way to connect these controllers to a PC is via an Xbox 360 gaming receiver. The receiver for Xbox one controllers is not compatible.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Will new XBOX Series X controllers work with the XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver on my PC

4. IRB Win User

Xbox controllers for windows 10

The Bluetooth controllers don't come with an adaptor, is has Bluetooth built in. The device it connects to need to have Bluetooth to work, if your PC doesn't then you need to get a Bluetooth adapter for the PC.

The wireless part of the controller works on a unique frequency only for the xbox controllers, so it won't work with WiFi, so for your PC to use the Xbox Wireless part, you would need the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
  5. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Jeremiah Tang,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It appears that you're having trouble connecting your Xbox Wireless Controller to your PC Game Pass. Let us check and see on what we can do to help resolve your concern in a timely manner.

It is possible that there is some missing updates of Windows or it could be the recent updates that is causing the breakdown of Xbox Wireless controller in your Windows PC. Let us check it though by trying some troubleshooting steps.

Here are the steps that we can try:

1. Make sure that your PC is up to date with the latest Windows updates and that your Xbox Wireless Controller is updated with the latest firmware.

To check and install Windows update, follow the steps below:

• Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
    • On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.
    • On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available
    including optional updates for your device.

• Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.
    • Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.
    To update Xbox Wireless controller to the latest firmware update:

Update your controller on Windows 10/11 by using the Xbox Accessories app:

• If you don’t already have the app installed, get it in the Store:Microsoft Store
    • Open the Xbox Accessories app.
    • Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
    • When the controller is connected, you'll see the message Update Required if an update is mandatory. Install the update.

2. Try connecting the controller to your PC using a USB cable instead of wirelessly.

3. Uninstall and reinstall the Xbox app on your PC.

Uninstall and reinstall Xbox app.

• To uninstall, type Xbox app in the Windows search box, right-click and click Uninstall. After uninstalling, restart the computer.
    • To reinstall, Open the Microsoft Store, search for Xbox app using the search box, and click on install. Or you can click on this link: Xbox App for Windows PC | Xbox click on download the app button.

4. Try resetting your Xbox Wireless Controller by pressing and holding the pairing button on the back of the controller for 10 seconds until the Xbox button starts flashing.

5. Try connecting the controller to a different USB port on your PC.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

6. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Jeremiah Tang,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Thema:

1. Xbox Wireless Controller won't connect to PC Game Pass - Similar Threads - Wireless Controller won't

2. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  3. Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?: We got a new Xbox Series S back in February and the controller that came with it was working very well.. Until recently. For some reason, the controller now won't turn on instantly and no matter...
  4. Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC: Hello, my Xbox Series X Wireless Controller recently started only charging up to 15% when I plug it into my PC. I do not own an actual console to troubleshoot on there. Additionally, the...
  5. New Xbox wireless controller won't connect to my Windows 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox wireless controller won't connect to my Windows 10: Few days ago I got a new Xbox wireless controller, I've connected it to one Windows 10 laptop and it worked perfectly. Few days later I tried connecting it to another Windows 10 laptop and it...
  6. Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core won't connect via bluetooth on PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core won't connect via bluetooth on PC: I just bought an Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core for my PC use. The Bluetooth works fine at the beginning. But the Xbox bar shows up whenever I push the A button. So I...
  7. Xbox controller won't connect to wireless Adapter on PC.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller won't connect to wireless Adapter on PC.: I've been using a Xbox controller with a wireless adapter on my PC for about two years with no problems. Yesterday while playing a game my batteries ran out like they have many times before, Since...
  8. XBOX one wireless controller won't connect no matter what

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX one wireless controller won't connect no matter what: so i have two xbox one wireless controllers that im trying to connect to my windows 11 PC, and the first one (an xbox one s controller) connects just fine through bluetooth, however the second...
  9. Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in: Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in. I have been having problems with my Xbox one wireless controller and the external hard drive. I have...
  10. My Wireless Xbox Controller won't connect when playing a game on Cloud gaming

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Wireless Xbox Controller won't connect when playing a game on Cloud gaming: My Wireless Xbox Controller connects to my MacBook via Bluetooth and through that I play on Xbox cloud gaming, but recently I connect my controller to my MacBook and when I start the game the game...