Xbox was fine at 1440p 120Hz, suddenly refuses to work at 1440p 120Hz, getting a black...

Discus and support Xbox was fine at 1440p 120Hz, suddenly refuses to work at 1440p 120Hz, getting a black... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My xbox has been set to 1440p @ 120Hz on my monitor for the past year. The other day, it started black-screening for a few seconds at a time while I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CharlieDalley, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Xbox was fine at 1440p 120Hz, suddenly refuses to work at 1440p 120Hz, getting a black...

My xbox has been set to 1440p @ 120Hz on my monitor for the past year. The other day, it started black-screening for a few seconds at a time while I was playing, about every 20 minutes or so (just random,
    no uniform timing between them). Everything else ran fine, with no evidence of loss of graphics quality or anything like that... still booted up perfectly fine too, was ONLY getting a couple of seconds of no visuals.

I did a Hard Reset as advised by those in the online forums, which resulted in the Xbox booting up to a black screen. I could hear the menus through my headset, but nothing was being displayed on screen.
    I took the following steps, in this order:

• I switched the HDMI cable, still got a black screen.
    • Switched to a 1080p TV (resolution booted to 640x480 for some reason) with the new cable, and got constant on/off visuals when changing to 1080p resolution.
    • Switched HDMI cables AGAIN to a brand new one supplied with my HDMI 2.0 monitor (pretty sure this is an HDMI 2.0 cable), set it to 1080p on the TV, ran absolutely fine on the 1080p TV (60Hz)
    • Swapped displays to the original monitor with the new cable, turned it to 1440p (seemed to work), but got perma-black screen when selecting 120Hz.
    • Swapped to my second identical monitor (which I bought a month ago) and repeated the above process, exactly the same issue.
    • Did a troubleshooting set-up, booted into 1080p and changed to 1440p at 60Hz, resulting in a much more frequent black-screen issue than previously experienced, but not permanent.
    • Dialled it down to 1080p again, back on the original cable (which has handled 1440p 120Hz for a while), and it works fine (for now).
    I know this isn't the monitors, as one is a year old, the other is brand new, and they are both exhibiting the same behaviour. Why 120Hz mode would suddenly stop working makes absolutely no sense to me, and
    neither does the fact that it ran perfectly fine a week ago, started going black for a couple of seconds at a time a few days ago (but showing no other graphical issues), then just refused to output any sort of signal whatsoever!

I am desperate to know if someone else is having this issue, and whether or not this is a sign of the GPU dying. I do not want to go without an Xbox for the next month and a half, but also don't want to spend
    anything on a pre-owned xbox for ONE MONTH. If I have to, I'll play on a 1080p monitor just so I don't overload the GPU.

Any ideas as to whether this is a GPU, HDD, HDMI Chip, Software or "some unknown gremlin" problem? A fix would be appreciated! I've ordered an HDMI 2.1 cable just to guarantee that I'm not drastically unlucky
    with the ones I have chosen, but I need advice regardless!

:)

CharlieDalley, Oct 1, 2020
  2. HomegrownSilky Win User

Error on xb1x selecting 4k

The Xbox One X supports 120hz only at 1440p and 1080p resolutions. It does not support 120hz at 4k. So unless your TV or monitor supports 1440p resolution (many don't), you will only get 1080p when selecting 120hz.
  3. mateimarcelus Win User

why 1440p doesn't appear on my xbox one x?

my tv suport 60hz,not 120hz but i don't want 120hz 1440p...i want 60hz 1440p
  4. Ron Amihai Win User

Xbox Series X doesn't support 1440p@120Hz with 1440p@144Hz monitor

Until you don't proof me this specific monitor (Xiaomi Mi Curved 34) enables 1440p@120hz with Xbox Series X, your comment is meaningless.

Yeah, there are some monitors with 1440p@120hz support for Xbox series s/x, that simply doesn't mean that ANY 1440p+ monitor with 120hz+ (especially 144hz+) can do it. Period.

I've tried everything, that (1440p@120hz) simply doesn't work with that monitor. I've already listed every step I've tried, I'm not gonna write it again.

Please read previous comments before posting the same dried comments...
  5. MarcelEQ Win User

2k with 120hz XBOX ONE X not working with HP X27i

thx for your fast reply. Ok I understand, but why is it working with 1080p and 120hz ? But not with 1440p and 120hz?
  6. berpasan Win User

Xbox One X on the LG C9 Oled TV doesn’t use HDR for resolutions other than 4K

I’m unable to play at 1440p with HDR, that was my goal (1440p@120Hz).
Thema:

Xbox was fine at 1440p 120Hz, suddenly refuses to work at 1440p 120Hz, getting a black...

1. Xbox was fine at 1440p 120Hz, suddenly refuses to work at 1440p 120Hz, getting a black... - Similar Threads - was fine 1440p

2. Xbox One S not registering external storage when it was fine this morning until I ended my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S not registering external storage when it was fine this morning until I ended my...: My xbox is not detecting my external hard drive anymore. It was fine when I turned on the xbox this morning and started streaming. I could see all of my installed games and everything was fine....
  3. Why can I not connect to lobbies in games, but my internet is working perfectly fine? PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can I not connect to lobbies in games, but my internet is working perfectly fine? PC: A recent issue has arose when I attempt to play any online games. Whenever I try to play games such as Overwatch 2, Apex Legends, Roblox, or any game that includes multiplayer, I can not join...
  4. Cant hear party they hear me fine

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Cant hear party they hear me fine: No matter if im on series s, on the windows app or my ios xbox app i cant hear party chat, the party can hear me fine i just cant hear them. Tested headset its fine, checked chat mixer its good,...
  5. My Xbox brick was working fine for a few months but then the power turned off for around 8...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox brick was working fine for a few months but then the power turned off for around 8...: This happened before to my old one and I had to buy a new one. 16f3027a-0c4c-4e9c-9056-52b46181b140
  6. problem connecting to 5.0ghz but my 2.4ghz works just fine

in XboX Insiders
    problem connecting to 5.0ghz but my 2.4ghz works just fine: when i connect to 5G my internet will not connect with it but when i connect to 4G my internet is fine except it feeling like its dcing every 10 seconds when im playing games whihc is also another...
  7. My Xbox series S works fine on hotspot but when I connect to wifi it doesn’t connect

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series S works fine on hotspot but when I connect to wifi it doesn’t connect: I can watch YouTube but can’t load any games it just says I’m offline, I have tried Power cycling, unplugging Xbox and router and restarting I’ve soft reset and cleared alternative MAC address,...
  8. I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...: I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games I download work fine. Is there a reason why it won't read the older Xbox One games I have? Some are brand...
  9. 4k 120hz broken? 4k 60hz 1440p 120hz are fine only 4k 120?

in XboX Insiders
    4k 120hz broken? 4k 60hz 1440p 120hz are fine only 4k 120?: [IMG] submitted by /u/ilovmyselfalot [link] [comments]
  10. Awful framerate in 1440p mode in Red Dead Redemption 2 and other 30 fps games. Works fine in ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Awful framerate in 1440p mode in Red Dead Redemption 2 and other 30 fps games. Works fine in ...: For some reason, when playing Red Dead Redemption 2 in 1440p, the framerate is so bad it's hard to play. There is stutter like every 2 seconds even when looking at the sky or in the ground. When I...