XBox warranty repair services - lost devices, never ending repair, and alternative solutions

Discus and support XBox warranty repair services - lost devices, never ending repair, and alternative solutions in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hi Community - I'm not an avid gamer myself. I'm a 37 yrs old executive in the software space. In my downtime I like to connect with old friends on... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by SMRochester, Nov 5, 2021.

1. SMRochester
    SMRochester Guest

XBox warranty repair services - lost devices, never ending repair, and alternative solutions

Hi Community - I'm not an avid gamer myself. I'm a 37 yrs old executive in the software space. In my downtime I like to connect with old friends on Xbox... maybe once or twice a week. I bought my first gaming system about 6 months ago. When I say first I mean the first system I've bought since Super Nintendo - again, not really a big gamer. But a couple of friends convinced me to buy the Xbox X. Honestly, really great purchase. Big fan of WarZone and after a few months I feel like I can actually get some kills - hold my own with the team so to speak. While I think everyone agrees on variety of issues such as latency and updates, ultimately I have had no complaints about my system and love my Xbox service.

Now that I set the tone on the type of "fan" that I am, let me get into the issue at hand that I would like to discuss with community at scale. The discussion I would like to have is about others experience with XBox warranty services and brainstorm some potential solutions that might help Microsoft improve their "fan" support.

Let me share my experience. On 8/15 I tried to turn on my XBox like I always do. But this time it wouldn't turn on. The button almost seemed to not be clicking. The whole device wasn't getting power. Of course I tried everything I could. Different outlets, bought a new power cable, tried a different TV, prayed to God, everything. I even called a couple of local electronic repair facilities to see if they could fix it but the X series is so new they don't have the parts. I went on Microsoft.com to see if they could suggest a repair facility and I was ecstatic to find that my device was under warranty! I created a case and followed all of the necessary instructions. For those that are not familiar with the process it is: create a case, Microsoft sends you a shipping label via email, you print this out and package your XBox in a box, then send the box via UPS. This process seems a little odd but I moved quickly in hopes of getting a repair. I took the box to the UPS store and the attendant weighed, re-taped the package, and printed a receipt of shipment. The label had a tracking number which means all of the information was available online.

3 weeks later. I return from a vacation expecting my new XBox to be waiting for me. I checked the online status page for Microsoft repair and there is a 4 bubble status option window where it says I was still in "Print Label and Send Box" status. The next status would imply they received my package. So something is wrong. I type in the tracking number of the shipping label Microsoft provided. I see this message below.

[table][tr][td]08/19/20215:30 P.M.[/td][td]Unable to DeliverA damage has been reported and we will notify the sender.Jacksonville, FL, United States[/td][/tr][tr][td]08/19/20215:25 P.M.[/td][td]Unable to DeliverMerchandise is missing. UPS will notify the sender with additional details. / All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.Jacksonville, FL, United States[/td][/tr][tr][td]08/18/202110:52 P.M.[/td][td]Arrived at FacilityJacksonville, FL, United States[/td][/tr][tr][td]08/18/20217:26 P.M.[/td][td]Departed from FacilityTampa, FL, United States[/td][/tr][tr][td]08/18/20217:07 P.M.[/td][td]Origin ScanTampa, FL, United States[/td][/tr][tr][td]08/18/20213:00 P.M.[/td][td]ShippedDrop-OffTampa, FL, United States[/td][/tr][tr][td]08/18/202110:00 A.M.[/td][td]Label CreatedShipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.United States[/td][/tr][/table]

At this point I am shocked an immediately called support. This process is very interesting in itself to get someone on the phone. You have to login to you account, go through various prompts on the issue, type in your phone number, and an automated system calls you. The first person I spoke with was Bryan. I must say that Microsoft has nailed there support personnel. There jargon referenced me as a "fan" and he often dropped the word "sorry bro" and seemed like a real down to earth gamer type. I couldn't even yell at him because he was doing everything in his power to help. He explained he had to fill out some forms and that it would be sent over to another department. The call was 37 min long. Not my worst, not my best but overall I felt like I was helped.

A week goes by with nothing. I call up again and this time I am connected to Carlos. Once again, Microsoft hired very well because Carlos and I chatted like pals. He spoke the lingo, sided with me on how this needs to get fixed ASAP, apologized repeatedly for this issue, etc. He explained he would need to fill out some forms and had some questions for me. He read the questions out loud such as "What else could we do to make the "fan" happy" and various similar questions on my experience. I proposed various ideas such as a local repair facility. He shared with me how the Microsoft Warrant repair service support is be revamped and the reason for the questions is because they are trying to do better. Apparently there was an "unmanageable" case load, "fans" calling in multiple times on the same Xbox, and even missing devices. Carlos gave me a case number and said someone would be in touch within 24-48 hours.

48 hours later I call to follow-up and get someone named Aaron. Aaron is not as chatty, supportive, or even thoughtful of my issue. While he looked up the case, note that he didnt do the phone verification that Bryan and Carlos did, he became very passive. Saying that it seems box was "empty". I explained that the package weight was 9.9LBS. How does an empty small box weigh 9.9lbs? After his passive comments he said someone would investigate and would be back in touch via email in the next couple of hours.

Service

UPS Ground Open the link in a new window

Weight

9.90 LBS

Shipment Category

Package

About 2 hours later I receive this message below.....

Hello Shane,

My name is Freddy from Microsoft Xbox Technical Support. I am contacting you regarding game console sent for repairs and courier saying box was damage and unable to deliver.

I just contacted them and informed the claim investigation has been denied since nothing was inside the box and was discarded. I processed a dispute on the claim to see what their response will be within the next 5 business days. We would like you to provide us proof of purchased in case matter needs to be escalate/investigate by our higher offices. You may attach to this email when responding and will be appreciate it.

Once we get response from courier we will be in contact with you.

Have a good day.

Thanks again,

Freddy D.

Microsoft Support for Xbox

I responded to Freddy in kind to explain how this was unacceptable, how the empty box weighed 10lbs, and how I reached out to UPS too. UPS told me there is a pending investigation and no decision on the claim has been reached. I went on to explain in my reply that regardless of the way they found the box, insurance on packages can still be filed. I don't know much about shipment case tracking issues, or package insurance claims, etc. But I do know this is Microsoft and UPS, two global organizations that both dropped the ball. If it wasn't for Microsoft poor process, lack of insurance claim internal handling, lack of warrant claim updates, and so many sad support functions - maybe the issue could be changed. Maybe through improved process I could have had paid for expedited shipping, dropped it off at a local facility, etc.

Now that I have reached this point of anger... I wont let companies do this to people like me. I'm now dedicated time, resources, and even funds to help others dealing with these types of struggles, this type of theft, this type corporate greed. My hope in this discussion is that we can gather enough feedback, enough examples, and enough new ideas that Microsoft makes changes to their warranty program. These changes should stretch to the way they provide even standard levels of technical support, to the way they treat their community.

Please share your experience, tell me what you think they could do better, and I'll continue to provide updates on additional ways people can fight this ridiculous system.

:)

SMRochester, Nov 5, 2021
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: