Xbox Video App "Cant connect to server"

Discus and support Xbox Video App "Cant connect to server" in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; What Country/State/Province do you live in? United States, Oregon Modem brand & model number: Motorola Surfboard SB6121 Router brand & model number:... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Epic Ey3, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Epic Ey3
    Epic Ey3 Guest

What Country/State/Province do you live in? United States, Oregon

Modem brand & model number: Motorola Surfboard SB6121

Router brand & model number: WRT1900AC

How many 360 and One consoles are connected to this router?: 1 (Xbox 360)

Wired or wireless (for each console): Wired

Things you have tried:

• Deleted gamer profile / app / system updates
    • Cleared system cache
    • Tested another account
    • Tested other apps/games
    • Factory defaults >> router as well as xbox && portfowarding or UPnP or DMZ ... none of it works.
    • + many many other things

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type? No

Any Error Codes you encounter: 80151904 (after waking up in the morning from an idle router)

Who is your ISP?(Internet Service Provider): Charter

The problem: Xbox video app, when connected to the network and signed into a gamer profile, will "hang" while connecting to server; redirecting to test the network. Again, no NAT issues arises and it's
    just a continuous loop no matter what i've tried to fix it.

I've recently discovered that this is entirely within my own network, so unfortunately my ISP is unwilling to help or so i've been told. How i discovered that it's within my own network is that by disconnecting my ethernet cable from the xbox (yet still being
    signed into my gamer profile) i'm able to access the library of videos i've downloaded within the app; a step i was not able to previously achieve. I'm hoping this isn't a false-tell and is truly a start in the right direction to diagnose this issue.

I've also read across multiple forums and multiple ranges of topics in regards to xbox video, the wrt1900ac and the sb6121 hardware that i utilize in my network. The only thing that came up as a recurring interest to me, was that i've been struggling with DNS
    issues since this whole problem arose and other forums have suggested that the outgoing DNS request is being redirected using Port 53 of my WRT1900ac as a known and intended design (too complicated for me to reiterate the reasoning). So i'm assuming a simple
    fix would be to remove port 53 from my port fowarding; however, port forwarding isn't set up, or port triggering, or port range, etc..

So again, i'm stuck as i've been bouncing between anyone i can drill for insight on this annoying issue. If you've made it all the way through and have any idea what may be causing this. PLEASE let me know.

Odd fact: After the issue first started, i was having all the DNS issues so i contacted my ISP who provided DNS servers for my xbox which i updated only on the console; however, i recognize but dont remember where "google dns" servers were added to my network,
    i dont remember from where i actually added them. I've checked the router config page, modem config page, the computer, the xbox... none of them utilize the google dns servers; and even if they did i'm sure they would recognize well known servers like google.com
    or microsoft.com and wouldn't produce a DNS issue. =/

I'm about to rip my hair out; i've scheduled another talk with a microsoft rep for this weekend but i'm sure they'll say the same thing a rep told me tonight which is that now i know it's my network i'll have to work with my isp to resolve it; yet the isp says
    because it's not the modem itself they cant help.

Any ideas where i should be looking? I know my way around quite well by now, i just dont understand the true mechanics of what might be conflicting and causing a problem. If there's any other information i can provide or a tool i can use to diagnose my network
    please give me a hand here.

:)

Epic Ey3, Mar 11, 2015
  2. Epic Ey3
    Epic Ey3 Guest
    Xbox Video "Cant Connect to server" (X360)

Hardware:

Xbox 360 Elite (3rd gen i believe, updated to date, etc)

Motorola Surfboard SB6121 modem

Linksys WRT1900ac router

Network is all hardwired, port forwarded, etc.. Connection runs through perfectly 100% of the time (No "nat" errors / etc). Though in the morning, it will pop up a 80151904 and redirect me to "sign out and test my connection" (After my network has been sitting
    idle all night; which didnt use to happen)

Problem:

- Since contacting my isp about a week ago, i haven't been able to access Xbox video; loading the app immediately "hangs" with said connection issue ("Cant find server").

- The only two things my isp changed, was power cycling my modem and making sure the package i was getting was up to date ("upgrades")

No other variables have changed on the client side (at my house). What could be inhibiting the connection from xbox servers? I have the following ports open: 53 80 88 3074 with the correct options (tcp/udp/both)... The only thing i can think is that i might
    be getting a Double NAT issue from the modem; after speaking with a rep he assured me that my modem was not a gateway, which i agree but have read that newer modems can conflict with the router, and the SB6121 has a rap sheet of said conflicts.

Is there a good gaming modem anyone can refer me to? The rep and i ran out of ideas besides testing another account or another location; neither i have access to as i believe you need gold to load the xbox video app and im not willing to fork out $$ for a gt
    i wont be using.

All insight is appreciated. I've paid good money for how many videos and TV shows are on there, it would dishearten me severely to see them all lost in the wind because of a simple networking error.

Epic Ey3, Mar 11, 2015
  3. Epic Ey3
    Epic Ey3 Guest
    Xbox Video "Cant Connect to server" (X360)

This is why i see the issue of a double nat arising (copied directly from my modem's config page, which i havent changed anything on, as i dont know what im doing on there):

DHCP Server Enabled

The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem
    DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

Epic Ey3, Mar 11, 2015
  4. Epic Ey3
    Epic Ey3 Guest

Epic Ey3, Mar 12, 2015
  5. Ryenoh
    Ryenoh Guest
    Just got off live chat about this, there is a work around that i found to work, by searching for previously owned titles and launching xbox video from that, BUT you can only watch the searched item. However trouble shooting this on live chat they seemed
    to conclude its a software failure in xbox itself since xbox video is a built in application.

Did you recently join the preview program, to me it looks like the dashboard was changed on my console without an update being applied to it, and since then i can not launch xbox video directly from its "tab", but i can bypass it and entering xbox video
    by searching and or clicking ads on the dashboard.

Ryenoh, Mar 12, 2015
  6. This is the same issue I'm having Ryenoh. I joined the preview program and now I can't connect to Xbox Video at all but I have found a way around by browsing videos and movies from the dashboard, but other than that I can't connect to the main screen of
    Xbox video.

Also, when joining the preview program it said I would receive an update but I never got one

StubbsThePirate, Mar 12, 2015
  7. Ryenoh
    Ryenoh Guest
    @StubbsThePirate Did you also have your dashboard change without an update as well? Although I think everyone got that "ninja" update if there was even an update, but there is a change to my dashboard.

Ryenoh, Mar 12, 2015
  8. Xbox Video App "Cant connect to server"

I have had a change in the dashboard. The big one I notice is the expanded games tab, with all the new additional things like "add-ons" and "demos" selections

StubbsThePirate, Mar 12, 2015
  9. Epic Ey3
    Epic Ey3 Guest
    Thanks guys for the feedback; confirmed. it's accessible to search videos as a work around but this is an absolutely terrible implementation of the preview program. I've removed myself from future previews and will never return to the program unless im being
    paid for the hassle. What a joke that they couldn't send a mass message to our inbox to inform that there's an issue for preview clients. Massively disappointed. worst part is Xbox tech suggested i test my network and isp couldnt find anything wrong so i paid
    linksys to troubleshoot and still no steps assisted... Ended up with a $500 bill for an internal issue. So glad they can hold themselves accountable... truly. Might just huck the junk and buy a nintendo 64, even when the games were decades old they still played
    as intended.

Epic Ey3, Mar 12, 2015
  10. Hey, guys! While the work around is a way around this, I wanted to let you all know that I have removed the verified answer. The preview for the Xbox 360 is not out yet and would not affect your ability to launch this app. While the messages
    have been sent out and you all are registered, the update has not been sent out. Let's see what all is going on with you three.

First, it looks like you have done a lot of troubleshooting, Epic! I really do appreciate you posting up these steps, and it looks like you've tried a lot. We

don't have any information on your Linksys router and how it interacts with Xbox Live, and you have a simple modem (not a gateway/wireless modem) that it's connected to. In my opinion, I don't think this is a set up issue, but it still could be network
    related.

You state that you disconnected your ethernet cable and it worked, if I am reading that properly. Does this mean your console goes wireless? If that's the case, have you replaced the ethernet cable you are currently using?

One thing I do not see is if you have tried this on another network; a friend's or family member's house who do not have the same set up is what I am looking for here. If you have replaced the cable, I suggest giving that a try. That would be the last step
    that I would ask you do to.

For you other two - I ask that you do all of the troubleshooting Epic posted in their original post, and the two things I've mentioned above. Please let me know once you have done this.

We'll get to the bottom of this together! I appreciate you guys posting about this so that we can help sort this out. :3

Misses Quinzel, Mar 13, 2015
  11. Ryenoh
    Ryenoh Guest
    I'm sorry this is not identical to the thread you closed, this is about a network issue, my thread however has nothing to do with networking issue on my end. If you read it at all it states "contact to see If there's a problem with your account" there is
    no error, just states we can't connect to xbox live right now and to try again later, but i am connected to live and everything else works even xbox music app which for some reason both xbox video and xbox music appear in my recently played. I can watch xbox
    video just fine bypassing the launcher. Also how can you be certain that it has nothing to do with being on preview, it could by the wording on the message when trying to launch the app has effected our account in someway. I'm fairly positive it has nothing
    to do with our end, how about you go "troubleshoot" xbox live and get back to us. by the way i never got the "cant connect to server" so how is this "identical" to my post.

Ryenoh, Mar 13, 2015
  12. Ryenoh
    Ryenoh Guest
    I did something very strange here in the last few minutes, when i got the try again message i disconnected my ethernet cord from the modem and it opened my video collection but however i can not view anything in it because it signs me out of xbox live. Then
    while in the video collection if i connect to xbox live it reverts to starting xbox video and back to the original message.

Which reads:

We can't connect to Xbox Live right now. Try again later.

If you still can't connect, contact support at
    support.xbox.com/contact
    to see if there's a problem with your account.

Thought i would state that again in this thread since it seem you are not comprehending that part.

Ryenoh, Mar 13, 2015
  13. Ryenoh
    Ryenoh Guest

I think I figured this out, recently the dashboard has been changed, well im certain on my console it has at least, and with this change on the tv & movies area some have been moved to the browse tv and movies that once was in the xbox video app, which leads
    me to believe that what was generated on xbox video app is on the server side and has nothing to do with what is on our console, so if the server had that part changed or deleted from the server it would have no way to connect to it, since whenever i used
    it in the past never went straight to my video collection you had to tab to the left to get to it. So if that part of xbox video is gone or corrupted server side there is no way to use the app unless it gets directed straight to the "account management / video
    collection"

The real question is how was dashboard changes implemented without updating the console, It must all be server side as well since everything is blocked out while your offline now.

Ryenoh, Mar 13, 2015
  14. Hey, Ryenoh! You would be correct in that some updates happen on the back end. These are generally done so that users do not have to restart their console, and the most recent one was done to all consoles. I was able to confirm that the preview is not out
    yet from the preview team that works on the forums here, which is why I am 100% sure it has nothing to do with the preview itself.

Please give all the steps a try that Epic has posted, plus the 2 additional ones I provided in my post above. Once I have confirmation that you and StubbsThePirate have completed those steps, then we can look at what our next options are. Xbox Video App "Cant connect to server" :)

Misses Quinzel, Mar 16, 2015
  15. Ryenoh
    Ryenoh Guest
    Sorry I have no idea what steps you are referring to. Not sure also if you are misunderstanding me or I am stating it wrong, but I'm not saying I got a preview update, what I am trying to say is since i "joined" this preview program my inability to launch
    xbox video started, and the app says to check with support about seeing if there is a problem with my account. Days ago I did live chat support that took like an hour of "troubleshooting" clearing cache etc. as far as deleting the current update and restarting
    xbox. The first thing they told me was being i was part of the preview program is these kinds of things are expected being part of the program. In conclusion they told me it was a corruption of xbox video program itself since it comes preinstalled on the system,
    and that I need to send it in to get repaired.

However I have come to the conclusion, as you confirm this all is done on the "back end" when i try to launch xbox video it has nothing to connect with on the back end or my account is being blocked.

Ryenoh, Mar 16, 2015
Thema: