Xbox series x won’t let me run 120hz and 1440p

Discus and support Xbox series x won’t let me run 120hz and 1440p in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought an Odyssey g55a monitor which supports 144hz and 1440p but for some reason my Xbox series x won’t allow me to run 120hz and 1440p. If I change... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Zae Zae, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Zae Zae
    Zae Zae Guest

I bought an Odyssey g55a monitor which supports 144hz and 1440p but for some reason my Xbox series x won’t allow me to run 120hz and 1440p. If I change it to 120hz, the resolution drops to 1080p and I’d I switch my resolution to 1440p, my hz drops to 60. I tried to turn on the vrr on Xbox but it stays greyed out. Anyone know a fix? Thank you

:)

Zae Zae, Apr 7, 2024
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Zae Zae,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It appears you're encountering an issue with your Xbox Series X when trying to run 120Hz at 1440p resolution on your Odyssey G55a monitor. Let's troubleshoot this together!

Here are some steps you can try:

Xbox Series X Settings:

- Navigate to your Xbox Series X settings:

- From the Home screen, go to Settings.

- Select General, then TV & Display options.

- Make sure you've selected the correct display (your monitor) under TV & display options.

- Check if the 120Hz option is available. If not, proceed to the next step.

Video Modes and Refresh Rate:

- In the TV & Display options, select Video modes.

- Turn off the Allow 4K option. This will allow the Xbox to focus on 1440p resolution.

- Confirm that the Refresh Rate is set to 120Hz.

Monitor Settings:

- Access your Odyssey G55a monitor's settings:

- Look for an option related to AMD FreeSync or variable refresh rate (VRR).

- Enable AMD FreeSync Premium Pro (if available). This feature helps prevent screen tearing and stuttering.

- Confirm the resolution and refresh rate settings in both the TV settings and the monitor's OSD menu.

Game Compatibility:

- Launch a game that supports 120 frames per second (FPS).

- Ensure that the game is set to run at 120Hz within its own settings.

HDR Considerations:

- Note that HDR is not supported at native 1440p resolution on the Xbox Series X.

- Using the internal downscaler of the monitor is not recommended for achieving 1440p at 120Hz.

Monitor Firmware Update:

- Check if there are any firmware updates available for your monitor. Make sure it's up to date.

Additional Tips:

- Some monitors may require specific HDMI ports (e.g., HDMI 2.0) for higher refresh rates. Ensure you're using the correct port.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

3. SwordofWhedon Win User

The dashboard does not run at the specifications, and you would need to run a game that supports them
  4. ROBIN H 25 Win User

120hz

for 120hz you need i think hdmi2.1.

besides connecting the s at 120hz is not going to magically let it run at 120fps, you will be lucky to get 40fps on most games. kills my eyes running so slow.
    HDMI 2.1 is only needed if you plan to game at 4K for 120hz , on a 4K 144hz monitor, However there's no gaming monitors available at the moment, that yet has HDMI 2.1, the first HDMI 2.1 monitors that are likely to come in are around the same time as the
    Series X (Q4) launch or early 2021 (Q1),

1080p and some 1440p monitors can do 120hz over HDMI 1.4 if it's supported, but best ideally is HDMI 2.0 for 1440p for 120hz,

HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p / 1440p at 120hz and 4K at 60hz,

HDMI 2.1 can do 1080p / 1440p / 4K at 120hz.

For the Xbox Series X, it best to get a 4K TV or monitor that supports 120hz and has HDMI 2.1, to get the full potential out of the Series X.
  5. StuartATrueRed Win User

Do I Need A Xbox Series X or S To Have 4K Resolution At 120hz?

You will need the Xbox Series X for 4K 120hz. The Series S can only do 1440p 120hz
  6. Icares974 Win User

Will Xbox series x/s have more monitors that run 1440p @ 120hz than current gen consoles?

Hi ! Do you know if Xbox series X will support and run in 1440p/120hz with a MSI Optix MAG27CQ ?

Thanks for your help :)
Thema:

1. Xbox series x won’t let me run 120hz and 1440p - Similar Threads - series won’t let

2. My Xbox Series X keeps disconnecting me from the internet over and over again and won’t let...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series X keeps disconnecting me from the internet over and over again and won’t let...: My Xbox series X while I’m playing a game will randomly disconnect from the internet (I have a wired connection). Everytime I load up the game again it will disconnect me over and over and keep...
  3. Series S xbox won’t let me play X/S games?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Series S xbox won’t let me play X/S games?: I’ve recently gotten an xbox one S, tried resetting almost everything on my console but still keeps saying my games aren’t compatible, could it somehow be connected to my older xbox one settings?...
  4. Why won’t my Xbox series x let me install Roblox? It will start to install the game but...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won’t my Xbox series x let me install Roblox? It will start to install the game but...: My Roblox won’t let me install it and play it. I have tried restarting my Xbox. I’ve tried clearing my cache. Tried hard resetting. I’ve tried it all. The game will start to install but stop at...
  5. My Xbox series x connects to the internet but won’t let me play online, why?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series x connects to the internet but won’t let me play online, why?: I’ve tried everything. I had a dude from Xfinity come out and give me a new modem, he changed the coaxial cable and even took off the wall thing and replaced it. I’ve reset my Xbox a billion...
  6. My Xbox series s is saying it’s not compatible with starfield it won’t even let me download...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series s is saying it’s not compatible with starfield it won’t even let me download...: It keeps saying it’s not compatible it’s a series s it should be compatible? 1caed359-1d53-4e4b-80bf-82a17d79f12f
  7. My Xbox series s won’t let me play any form of multiplayer for rainbow six siege

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series s won’t let me play any form of multiplayer for rainbow six siege: What is happening is I bought it and whenever I try to play quick match or ranked/unranked games it directs me to buy Xbox game pass. But if I try to play single player it lets me. Why is this...
  8. My Xbox series S is trying to update upon turning on but won’t let me fully access the wifi...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series S is trying to update upon turning on but won’t let me fully access the wifi...: My Xbox series S is trying to update as soon as I turn it on but the only wifi network I have access to requires me to accept the terms and conditions but the console won’t let me get that far...
  9. New series x won’t let me add account

in XBoX Accessibility
    New series x won’t let me add account: I just bought a new Xbox series x I did the update load to Home Screen go to add new for adding my account it starts loading circle then nothing happens n goes back to Home Screen I tried...
  10. Xbox series s won’t let me add my account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox series s won’t let me add my account.: I’ve factory reset my Xbox. I’ve deleted everything. I’ve checked my internet everything is fine, but when I click add a account it sends me to a loading screen, then just stops and never pulls...