Xbox Series X/S controller shutting off while plugged in

Discus and support Xbox Series X/S controller shutting off while plugged in in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; In the last few days, I've started having issues with my controller shutting off while it's plugged in. About a minute after I power on the system with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ElDiabloLoco90, Jul 14, 2023.

1. Xbox Series X/S controller shutting off while plugged in

In the last few days, I've started having issues with my controller shutting off while it's plugged in. About a minute after I power on the system with it (the Xbox is not in sleep mode. I turn it off completely when not in use.), it will shut off while I'm using it, and it no longer stays on when not in use for a few minutes, just like if I was running it off batteries. I still have the receipt and it says I bought it back in November, so I've only had it about eight months. Is this a sign that my controller is going bad, and is there a way to fix it? I honestly don't know what made it start acting like this all of a sudden. I take very good care of my electronics.

Edit: My system is Xbox One, by the way. I don't know if that matters. And I also forgot to specify that this is the first-party Series X/S controller.

:)

ElDiabloLoco90, Jul 14, 2023
  2. ElDiabloLoco90 Win User

Thanks, I will look into this. My controller is now doing this thing where it becomes unresponsive while it's still on. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work, and it has shut off a few times after doing that.
  3. ElDiabloLoco90 Win User

Thank you for responding. I haven't tried it wirelessly. I use the controller plugged in only because it won't stay connected to the system. That's a problem I've had with each of my wireless controllers, and I think it's because of something interfering with the signal. As for the cable I use, it's the only one I have that fits the controller.

I did a firmware update after making the post, but I haven't noticed a difference. I don'r have a headset or an adapter, so the other options are not doable.
  4. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

Hey there!

Nice to meet you! I'm Darhyl, an Independent Advisor. I'm sorry you are experiencing this on your Xbox Series controller. I am here to help.

Does the same issue occur while using the controller wirelessly?

Also, have you tried a different cable to connect your controller to your console?

Kindly update your Xbox controller firmware:

If you have one, plug the stereo headset adapter into the bottom of your controller so it can also get updates.

If you're using a stereo headset adapter, plug in a headset (a headset must be plugged in so the adapter will turn on).

Plug the included USB cable into your Xbox’s USB port.

For Xbox Series X, the port is on the front right below the Pair button . For Xbox Series S, the port is on the front left next to the Pair button .

For Xbox One X and Xbox One S, the USB port is on the front under the Power button.

For the original Xbox One, the port is on the left side of the console, around the corner from the disc tray.

Plug the other end of the USB cable into the top of the controller.

Instructions to install the update should automatically appear. Follow the instructions, and don’t disconnect the USB cable while the update is in progress. The process can take up to 3 minutes.

If instructions to install the update don’t automatically appear, you can start the process manually. To do this, press the Xbox button  to open the guide, choose Profile & system > Settings > Devices & connections > Accessories, and then select the controller you want to update. On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, select “…” to check the firmware version for your controller. If it says “Update,” select Firmware version, and then follow the steps provided.

Things to keep in mind:

The auto-detect feature of this update may not work immediately if you plugged your stereo headset adapter into the controller while downloading a system update, or while the console was turned off. To resolve this, go to the Home screen and unplug the adapter. Then, plug the adapter into the controller.

You only need to update your controller one time to use the stereo headset adapter. However, if you plan to use the stereo headset adapter with other Xbox controllers, you’ll need to follow this process for each controller. Additionally, check for new updates periodically as Xbox frequently ships new controller features and improvements.

Reference link: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...
  5. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

Thank you for the information.

I would highly recommend you check for your Xbox series controller warranty replacement options. You can create a replacement order by signing your account and registering your controller serial number here at this link:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

Thank you for your time. I hope you have a great day!
  6. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

You're welcome! I understand and please take your time.

If you don't have any more questions, feel free to choose a rating, and have a great day!
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X/S controller shutting off while plugged in - Similar Threads - Series controller shutting

2. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  3. Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC: Hello, my Xbox Series X Wireless Controller recently started only charging up to 15% when I plug it into my PC. I do not own an actual console to troubleshoot on there. Additionally, the...
  4. Why is a single motor going off randomly in my series x controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is a single motor going off randomly in my series x controller?: The controller I have is the stock controller that came with my Xbox series x console. I've had it for about two years now and I haven't had any issues with it until a week ago. The vibration...
  5. I sent a Xbox series 2 elite controller to El Paso to get fixed but I forgot to put the...

in XBoX on Windows
    I sent a Xbox series 2 elite controller to El Paso to get fixed but I forgot to put the...: I sent a Xbox series 2 elite controller to El Paso Because I spilled water on it and I forgot to put the service request number on the outside of the box, it’s a little pinkish box and ups says it...
  6. My Xbox Series controller shuts off when I squeeze it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series controller shuts off when I squeeze it.: I ordered my console via Amazon back in January, and I've noticed this issue since I got it. It replaced an early model Xbox One with the older controllers, which I never had an issue with. It's...
  7. Why does pressing R3 to the upper left on Xbox Elite Series 2 shut down the controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does pressing R3 to the upper left on Xbox Elite Series 2 shut down the controller?: Yesterday I played some Halo Infinite Matches and noticed that my controller turned itself off. First I thought it was the battery so i charged it and today I recognized the issue occurs when I...
  8. Xbox Series X Screen Flickering, controller disconnects, Xbox shuts down or freezes. Xbox...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Screen Flickering, controller disconnects, Xbox shuts down or freezes. Xbox...: The only way I get it to stop for a short period of time is by when I encounter the issue, I immediately unplug my Xbox, plug it back in, go to settings, and then reset my alternate Mac address....
  9. Any solution to my Xbox series x controller blinking vibrating then shutting off?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Any solution to my Xbox series x controller blinking vibrating then shutting off?: Xbox series x controller blinks vibrates then turns off it was working before with no issue I tried the usb it turns on but the buttons don't work, the joystick moves tho and the trigger. I try...
  10. Xbox Series controller shuts off while using Crunchyroll App using a Headset every 10...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series controller shuts off while using Crunchyroll App using a Headset every 10...: This seems to happen only when I'm using the Crunchyroll app. Everytime I watch anything on Crunchyroll with my headphones plugged in my Xbox Series X|S controller it always shuts off after 10...