Xbox series X has super slow internet speed, help?

Discus and support Xbox series X has super slow internet speed, help? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I just got an Xbox series X and it’s been nothing but frustrating. The internet is a very slow 10-30 mbps, regardless whether I plug it via cable,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Alex R_388, Oct 14, 2023.

1. Alex R_388
    Alex R_388 Guest

Hi,

I just got an Xbox series X and it’s been nothing but frustrating. The internet is a very slow 10-30 mbps, regardless whether I plug it via cable, wifi, 2.4 or 5ghz. I tried resetting the console, it has nothing installed right now, but the problem persists.

This is roughly the time when anyone even slightly experienced will suggest network congestion, my internet being at fault, another device eating bandwidth, etc etc.

Luckily I ALSO have an Xbox series S which worked like a charm since a year ago. I plug it in with the same network, same cable (or wifi) and I get the expected 330+ mbps.. I can even plug both at the same time and the brand new just reset series X will still insist it can only connect at 20-30 (and that the mat is strict, even when I move it into a fully vulnerable DMZ!) , while the series S claims everything is fine.

So……. At this point I’m starting to think there might be a hardware issue with this series X, (or a software/os issue that can’t be user fixed) but I’m willing to try other possible hypotheses/potential solutions.

But if I can’t find a solution, should I take both machines to a Microsoft service store to show the difference in performance? Any idea what sort of fee I’d incur if one applies?

Thanks in advance,

:)

Alex R_388, Oct 14, 2023
  2. Alex R_388 Win User

Sorry for the delay replying. I managed to catch COVID and it’s been getting in the way of things.

All services are running. Here’s the requested screenshot :

[​IMG]

I’m also including these relevant screenshots: my network speed and the screen I used to reset the Xbox X (system->console info->reset console->reset and remove everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, for comparison, here’s the screenshot from the series S speed test taken 30 seconds before the one from the Xbox X, both using the same Ethernet cable. (Notice the 371mbps vs 37 on the X, the small packet loss on X and upload speed difference)

Lastly please note the X has nothing installed on it, so it doesn’t have any background apps or games or anything downloading. The tests and troubleshooting were performed after the reset. Incidentally, If there’s a hardware “hard reset” option I’m quite willing to try that, even if it’ll require re-downloading all patches.

The only other useful bit of information I can think of is that I’m connected directly to the modem.

[​IMG]
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Alex R_388,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you're experiencing slow internet speed on your Xbox Series X. Based on what you've described, it seems like the issue might be with the hardware or software of the console itself. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner.

We would like to ask for few questions:

1. Can we ask for a screenshot of network connection?
      • Test your network connection
        1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
        2. Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Network settings.
        3. Select Test network connection.
    2. Are all services on up and running on Xbox Status from your locale? Link: Xbox Status | Xbox Support

For troubleshooting, you may want to check the steps 1-9 here: Troubleshoot your network connection speed | Xbox Support However, if you were to send us the screenshot, we will check if you need to perform just specific troubleshooting.

We look forward to your response.

Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Alex R_388,

Thanks for the reply.

We understand that your connection is indeed fast.

Xbox is plug and play device. If this newly purchased device is not getting the right connection from your network, Then, trying out our suggestion and contacting ISP is best course of action. So, if you have tried our suggestion, or else disconnect other devices (like controllers, sound bar) and issue still persists, we can try to contact ISP for this.

Based on your description, you seem to reach out your ISP as you have their statement, can we confirm if our suggestion has been performed? If yes, please give it a try to reach out to our live support team for this to be investigated. Please follow the steps below:

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the lists.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you be encountering issues contacting support, you may try InPrivate Window of your browser, other browser, different device/s or connect to different network.

Regards,

5. Alex R_388 Win User

This is currently the only device on the entire network. No other devices were on. I switched my iPad to my phones hotspot after turning said phones wifi off just to be sure, just so I could post the above screenshots.

Regardless, it takes 30 seconds to power off one, switch cables, power on the other, and the results stay consistent no matter how many times you do it. I don’t have a second tv to connect both simultaneously but multiple switching instances, with repeated 100% repeatable performance differences should pretty much eliminate any possibility for external influences. Please note I also eliminated the possibility of a mysteriously semi faulty Ethernet cable that mysteriously only worked on the series s by replicating these exact results via wifi, both 2.4 & 5.ghz

I have been managing the connection. My isps position is simple: if every single item you hook up works at 300mbps including other consoles by the same manufacturer, the problem is with the console achieving 10% of the speed of every other device. Specially when they are the only device hooked to the network during multiple tests.

If I’m honest I can see two possibilities: either the Xbox is throttling the connection by mistakenly assuming a game is being played/an update is being downloaded/whatever, when nothing is being downloaded or played, or the network interface (wifi and Ethernet behave the same) is malfunctioning, either because of bios or hardware issues.
  6. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Alex R_388,

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, your new console Xbox Series X should have the same speed as the Xbox Series S.

This might happen because there is a lot of users connected to the network you used. So, there is a limit of connected device for the network, and you might want to try to remove those devices from hindering this console for your network test. Remember, in playing games you may want to prioritize this new Xbox console and make sure it has the slot before other devices (mobile phones) to ensure stability and no disconnection. You may reach out to your ISP for the steps on how to manage your network. For the meantime, try this:

- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide.

- Select Settings.

- Select All Settings.

- Select Network.

- Select Network Settings.

- Select Advanced settings.

- Select Alternate MAC Address.

- Select Clear.

- Restart your console.

If issue persists, reach out to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) to manage your network connection and temporary remove the other devices connected to it. Seek help to connect the Xbox Series X too.

Regards,
Thema:

1. Xbox series X has super slow internet speed, help? - Similar Threads - series has super

2. my Xbox series called, has turned off for no reason

in XBoX on Consoles
    my Xbox series called, has turned off for no reason: My Xbox series was turned off for no reason out of the blue and I have no clue why I’ve done everything I can to resolve the issue. Nothing works. I’ve had the same issue with the power supply...
  3. Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?: I have bought my Xbox Series X a few months after it dropped… ive been through atleast 7 controllers and they are not cheap. My new pink one (which i LOVE just started with stick drift. It takes...
  4. Xbox series X has problems starting up

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has problems starting up: Has anyone else had issues with this? My best guess is probably a failing power supply from research. It started a few weeks ago I will go to start my Xbox Series X up and the light on the console...
  5. LED controller xbox series x has a lot of light (IN PC)

in XboX Insiders
    LED controller xbox series x has a lot of light (IN PC): I wanna know if there is any way to turn off the led or set a lower intensity to it, in the night it is very uncomfortable. I know there is a way to change it in console but I didn't found any in...
  6. LED controller xbox series x has a lot of light

in XboX Insiders
    LED controller xbox series x has a lot of light: I wanna know if there is any way to turn off the led or set a lower intensity to it, in the night it is very uncomfortable submitted by /u/isma_d_h [link] [comments]
  7. My xbox series s keeps going green and then turns off I have factory reset it and this has...

in XBoX on Windows
    My xbox series s keeps going green and then turns off I have factory reset it and this has...: My xbox series s keeps going green and then turns off I have factory reset it and this has not worked. Please advise what I can do to fix this as it happens in every game a play or even sometime...
  8. Is it possible to play Xbox 360 games on the Xbox series x if the series has a Xbox 360...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to play Xbox 360 games on the Xbox series x if the series has a Xbox 360...: I'm really curious if I can replace the Xbox series x hard drive with the Xbox 360 hard drive to play Xbox 360 games 6f9f477b-cc97-4697-af8b-5c4827b1134a
  9. Xbox Series X on ‘Preview Omega’ beta is no longer reading 4K UHD Blu-ray; has anyone else...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X on ‘Preview Omega’ beta is no longer reading 4K UHD Blu-ray; has anyone else...: My Xbox played 4K-BR seamlessly before April 2024, but as of May 2024, my Xbox Series X has stopped reading all 4K UHD Blu-ray discs (BD50, BD66, BD100) - whilst all other formats (DVD, Blu-ray...
  10. Has anyone dealt with a situation in which an Xbox Series X doesn’t power on at all? Has...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Has anyone dealt with a situation in which an Xbox Series X doesn’t power on at all? Has...: My Xbox series X, after running thru all the troubleshooting fixes/suggestions, still doesn’t power on at all. Hoping there’s a solution to my issue that I maybe haven’t tried....