Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

Discus and support Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SamTheSasquatch, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the manufacturing has issues, I have also tried every single solution MS support has given to others in the forum (resetting, hard reset, Blu-ray drive cache clear, formatting, reinstalling said games, I even used a lens disc cleaner) HOWEVER, for some inexplicably odd reason.. ONLY Cyberpunk's disc is able to be read & spins. Every other Series X, Xbox One, 360, Blu-ray and DVD discs do not even spin in the disc drive when I put my ear up to the console. (No I do not own an additional digital version of Cyberpunk that would've made it run anyway.) I don't even get an error code, it just doesn't read at all or give me any popup.

Actually for the first three months I had this issue, I could get games like Oblivion GOTY and Sonic Frontiers to read if I just kept trying inserting & ejecting over & over (Sonic has zero scratches or marks & Oblivion's is minimal surprisingly from all the years I owned it.) Then about 3 months ago suddenly they didn't want to be read at all after multiple 30 minute attempts trying to fiddle with it, besides Cyberpunk again.

Sorry, had to be thorough with my consoles issue since I know others have had the same problem and I really am trying to avoid a copy & paste answer.

Thank you again for your time.

:)

SamTheSasquatch, Mar 27, 2024
  2. OCRyzen Win User

XBOX 360 SLIM Buzzing Noise.

All games in the Optical Drive Buzz [even when the games are installed] & is to do with the composition of the discs + Disc copyright checks on the console &/or Xbox Live etc..

GRFS discs, could be slightly thinner & lighter than the older discs & the Optical Drive, will always try to spin at the same speed to read discs.. Thus, making the lighter disc, spin a bit faster than a slightly heavier disc & make more noise etc.. [Power-Weight
    Ratio of Drives motor etc..]

Nothing to worry about, if the games are being read &/or working fine..

If the drive stops reading discs, then send the console in for warranty repair...
  3. Arminator Win User

Xbox 360 error message Disc is Unreadable

When the console was knocked over, was a physical disc in the optical drive of the console actively spinning?

Just like a spinning top, a rotating disc doesn't "want" to be moved out of it's rotational axis.

If the console around the disc tips over and forces the disc out of it's rotational axis, the disc often hits parts inside the disc drive.

In the "best case" scenario, only the game disc is scratched and only that game will show read errors (and usually a ring shaped scratch on the silver side of the disc). In that case the disc is usually unusable, and has to be replaced.

In the "worst case" scenario, the disc collided with the reading laser head of the optical drive damaging it. Which means no disc can be read by the drive anymore, and the console has to be
    sent in for repair and drive replacement. So if other games with clean discs don't work, you'll have to send in your console for repairs.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X can read Xbox One game discs, but not Xbox 360 discs

Sorry about your issue there.

Is it just this one game or do other Xbox 360 discs have issues?

The Series X optical drive contains two lasers, one for reading DVD discs and one for reading Blu-Ray discs.

Have you also tried DVD movie discs to see if they play? They must be DVD discs, not HD or UHD BD discs.

Unfortunately if the drive has a fault reading discs, you'll need to get it repaired. If your console is out of warranty it will be at a cost.
  5. OCRyzen Win User

Spinning Disc

Arcade games don't need an Optical Drive "Quick Launch" of a disc, as the Arcade Game, isn't a game from a disc & the Optical Drive shouldn't spin while playing an Arcade game..

Only Digital Versions of Games on Xbox Marketplace (MW3 etc), might make the Optical Drive Spin, as the Coding of the full game on disc, looks for a disc at all times etc..

@AndreFromPT.. Make sure you have the lastest console update..
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One S is not playing certain DVDs

I take it Blu-Ray disc movies are working okay? Have you tried many of the ones you own? Games are detected?

Bear in mind that the Xbox One S, One X and the current Series X actually have two lasers, one for reading DVD discs (including Xbox 360 discs) and one for reading Blu-Ray discs, which also includes Xbox games as they are also on BD-Disc.

If the DVD laser is giving out, it won't read certain DVD discs, and this is likely the reason for the issues you are experiencing. This is also why Blu-Rays and Xbox One games are not effected. There is nothing wrong with your DVD's, it's the console's optical drive that is faulty.
Thema:

Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

1. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is... - Similar Threads - Series discs read

2. Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??: My xbox plays everything just fine but I recently purchased a 4k bluray disc and and my xbox won't read it. It attempts to read but then eventually stops. 2e6fceb2-3fd5-4ec3-b2a4-06c0ba0fccbf
  3. Why do so many Xbox series x refuse to read certain game discs? But will read others fine....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do so many Xbox series x refuse to read certain game discs? But will read others fine....: Urgent Attention Needed: Persistent Disc Reading Issue on Xbox Series X Dear Microsoft Support Team, I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to address a recurring issue with my...
  4. Why won’t a brand new disc read on my series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won’t a brand new disc read on my series X: I just bought Deadpool for the Xbox one. I know others play it on the Series X so I know it should work. I’ve gone through multiple troubleshooting guides. Nothing works. The disc is brand new. I...
  5. Xbox One X & Series X Stopped Reading Discs with little to no usage + Controller Failures

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X & Series X Stopped Reading Discs with little to no usage + Controller Failures: I've done all possible troubleshooting on my end. I have a warranty but plan on getting it replaced or refunded altogether. I've even compiled a video showing three different Xbox 360's that read...
  6. Series X Won't read Assassin's creed Mirage disc

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Series X Won't read Assassin's creed Mirage disc: I tried resettingmy console and everything and the disc still won't read, installed the game from my app and get an error that I don't own the game. Other discs work fine....
  7. Xbox series x not loading/reading discs

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x not loading/reading discs: My xbox series x is no longer reading/loading or installing games. I recently bought COD M3 and inserted it in the box heard some whirling noises and nothing happened. So put in COD vanguard which...
  8. Why has my series x stopped reading certain discs again?!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my series x stopped reading certain discs again?!: Same thing happened with my first X sent in back in 21 and was was sent this one. About early summer it started reading only certain 4ks then it was certain Blu rays then it was no DVDs now it's...
  9. My series X has no problems reading any other disc for download,but I got MWII and I can't...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My series X has no problems reading any other disc for download,but I got MWII and I can't...: How do I get my MWII disc to download,I have tried everything I know to do,just won't read it,but will read and download any other game just fine,it's driving me nuts HELP!!¡¡!!...
  10. Series X says disc is dirty/damaged and won’t download but my Xbox one can still read it

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Series X says disc is dirty/damaged and won’t download but my Xbox one can still read it: Hey basically it’s what’s in the title. I’m trying to download Red Dead Redemption 2 to my new series x and it starts to download almost 3/4 of the way and then it stops and tells me my disc is...