Xbox Series X controller permanently saying headset attached when no headset is attached

Discus and support Xbox Series X controller permanently saying headset attached when no headset is attached in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I’ve had my Xbox X a week and today have had the issue where the controller is saying there is a headset attached permanently when there isn’t in fact... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Lottie Booth, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Lottie Booth
    Lottie Booth Guest

Xbox Series X controller permanently saying headset attached when no headset is attached

I’ve had my Xbox X a week and today have had the issue where the controller is saying there is a headset attached permanently when there isn’t in fact a headset attached, I’ve updated the controller and done the powercycle fix as advised by a previous FAQ answer but still no luck, I have tried plugging in a headset and unflagging it doesn’t fix the problem

Can someone advise? It hasn’t had any damage to it whatsoever and was working fine this morning.

Ideally I don’t want have to buy a new controller as like I say this one is brand new but still having this issue.

Any advice is appreciated!

:)

Lottie Booth, Jan 7, 2024
  2. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Hi Lottie, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that.

You can unpair it and then pair it again.

You can find a video guide on how to do it here: https://youtu.be/_A9lDfwXvcs

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Another thing to try is to reset the controller to factory settings via the Xbox Accessories App.

To open the Xbox Accessories app on your console, press the Xbox button to open the guide.

Select My games & apps > See all > Apps,

Select Xbox Accessories.

If you prefer, you can also do it on a PC: https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9NBLGGH30XJ3
  3. PhysEdFuel Win User

Trying to get digital assistant to work but screen shows mic is turned off do I need a headset or is there one built in

Unfortunately, there is no built-in mic on the Xbox Series X and no bluetooth support if you're thinking to go that route.

You will need to attach a headset with a mic to the Xbox Series X controller. The Xbox Series X controller uses a standard 2.5mm audio connection for Xbox Live, you can use any standard headset. (It does not have to be something fancy or expensive.)

I hope this helps. Merry Christmas to all!
  4. M1keD26 Win User

Xbox - Surface earbuds

Unfortunately not, currently any headset needs to be connected using a cable in to the controller or via the xbox one stereo adapter which attaches to the controller.

https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/accessories/connect-compatible-headset

I don't know yet whether or not they'll be able to be used with the Series X.
  5. DARTH DINOBOT Win User

Xbox One Mic Stuck on mute?

My headset's mute button light was permanently on and the headset would not work at all. I then checked the update controller option within system settings (headset was attached) and a new update was found which I installed. However the headset still dose
    not work and mute light is stuck to flashing / blinking all the time.

The light even flashes when the console and controller are off and and is connected via the USB cable.
  6. onyxishere Win User

Kinect/Headset Compatibility Issues - -Please help!!!

Sorry to hear it. The headset should work when the Kinect is attached. What brand of headset are you using and do you have the adapter for the controller?

Have you updated your controller with the adapter attached? If not, you should do that in the Settings menu.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X controller permanently saying headset attached when no headset is attached - Similar Threads - Series controller permanently

2. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  3. Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC: Hello, my Xbox Series X Wireless Controller recently started only charging up to 15% when I plug it into my PC. I do not own an actual console to troubleshoot on there. Additionally, the...
  4. Why is a single motor going off randomly in my series x controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is a single motor going off randomly in my series x controller?: The controller I have is the stock controller that came with my Xbox series x console. I've had it for about two years now and I haven't had any issues with it until a week ago. The vibration...
  5. I sent a Xbox series 2 elite controller to El Paso to get fixed but I forgot to put the...

in XBoX on Windows
    I sent a Xbox series 2 elite controller to El Paso to get fixed but I forgot to put the...: I sent a Xbox series 2 elite controller to El Paso Because I spilled water on it and I forgot to put the service request number on the outside of the box, it’s a little pinkish box and ups says it...
  6. Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?: I have bought my Xbox Series X a few months after it dropped… ive been through atleast 7 controllers and they are not cheap. My new pink one (which i LOVE just started with stick drift. It takes...
  7. My Xbox series s Brand new controller keeps Disconnecting then reconnecting and happens...

in XboX Insiders
    My Xbox series s Brand new controller keeps Disconnecting then reconnecting and happens...: Xbox controller series s keeps disconnecting and reconnecting and it keeps happening over and over I thought it was my headset dongle so I moved it to the back to avoid any interference but still...
  8. Trouble connecting XBox Series S controller to new Windows 11.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trouble connecting XBox Series S controller to new Windows 11.: Tried Bluetooth/paring and restarting...no other blue tooth devices are connected. Watched YouTube videos for Windows 11 - stuck! f992ffe4-060c-4ad7-ab2a-15d035d0f139
  9. Xbox series controller analog problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series controller analog problem: Today my Xbox Series controller started having problems, in the game (Halo Infinite) is just spinning around, I checked it in the "Game controller" properties of Windows, I attach an image of the...
  10. Xbox series X, controllers keep disconecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X, controllers keep disconecting: Hi, my controllers keep disconecting every few seconds. It started happening simultaneously a few months ago. The original controller and the one that I bought later. I’ve tried everything....