Xbox Series X audio stuck at Stereo Uncompressed when connected to TV

Discus and support Xbox Series X audio stuck at Stereo Uncompressed when connected to TV in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hardware TV: Samsung S90C 65" AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V6A HDMI Cables: 48Gbps Ultra HD 8K HDMI Cable to the TV from the receiver. Original Xbox HDMI... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dean Mayers, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Dean Mayers
    Dean Mayers Guest

Hardware

TV: Samsung S90C 65"

AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V6A

HDMI Cables: 48Gbps Ultra HD 8K HDMI Cable to the TV from the receiver. Original Xbox HDMI cable.

Setup

Receiver connected to the TV in port 3 with eARC. Xbox connected to the TV in port 4. (PS5 in port 1 with none of these issues)

Issue

When I connect the Xbox to the TV directly my audio output options are limited to Stereo uncompressed. The audio and testing screen says my TV only supports stereo uncompressed and Dolby Digital.

However, when I connect the Xbox to the receiver directly, all options are available.

My PS5 doesn't have this issue at all. I have it set to uncompressed PCM.

This is an issue for me because when I connect the Xbox to the TV directly it appears as a source in the menu I can use to turn the console on and easily switch to it in the source menu. (Before you say just plug it into the receiver.)

Anyone seen this or have any clue what's going on?

:)

Dean Mayers, Oct 22, 2023
  2. Chriseid Win User

Dolby digital on XBOX Series X

Hello,

I am having a very similar issue with an LG 4K TV and a Vizio soundbar that supports 5.1 Dolby digital and DTS. I connect my Xbox series x to the TV and use the ARC HDMI cable to connect to my soundbar. When I try to switch the audio output on my Xbox the only option is stereo uncompressed. I'm very confused. The audio config check on Xbox on my TV says it only supports stereo when I know for a fact my tv supports pass through surround.
  3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Dean Mayers,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Based on the description, your query is related to the availability of audio output options when an Xbox is connected to the TV directly and when Xbox is connected to TV with audio receiver. Let us check and see on what we can do to help resolve your concern in a timely manner.

If you're simply plugging your Xbox into your TV, you won't need to change any audio settings, because both sound and video transmit to your TV over the same HDMI cable. However, if you have an audio receiver or other sound setup, you may want to change your audio settings.

Here are the possible reasons why this happens:

• One reason could be that your TV does not support the same audio formats as your receiver, such as 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed signals. This means that when you connect your Xbox to your TV, it will only detect the audio formats that your TV can handle, which may be limited to stereo uncompressed and Dolby Digital.
    • Another reason could be that your HDMI cable or port is not compatible with the higher audio formats. You may need to use a different HDMI cable or port that supports eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), which allows for high-quality audio transmission between devices.
    • Third reason could be that your Xbox settings are not configured properly for your audio setup. You may need to adjust the HDMI audio and Bitstream format options in the Volume & audio output menu to match your receiver's capabilities.
    To fix this issue, you can try the following solutions:

• Connect your Xbox directly to your receiver via HDMI, and then connect another HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI out port to the TV's HDMI in port. This will bypass the TV's audio processing and ensure that the audio signal is not affected.
    • If you prefer to connect your Xbox to your TV, make sure you use the HDMI port labeled ARC or eARC on both your TV and receiver. This will allow the audio signal to be transmitted from the TV to the receiver via HDMI.
    • On your Xbox, go to Settings > General > Volume & audio output and set the HDMI audio to Bitstream out. Then, under Bitstream format, choose Dolby Digital or DTS Digital Surround, depending on what your receiver supports.
    • On your Yamaha RX-V6A receiver, press the Setup button and select Function > Input Setting. Then, choose the input that corresponds to your Xbox and set the Audio Decoder Mode to Auto. This will allow the receiver to automatically detect and decode the audio format from the Xbox.

For your reference, see: Choosing speaker audio settings on your Xbox console | Xbox Support

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Dean Mayers,

Thank you for letting us know that the prior solution did not help resolve the issue.

The main reason why options for audio output is limited when connecting your TV to Xbox console directly versus connecting with an audio receiver is due to compatibility issue with your TV as clearly appeared during audio testing. Using an audio receiver will change the audio output since there are more capabilities added. You may reach out your TV manufacturer's support team regarding this issue.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft. Have a nice day ahead.

Sincerely,

5. Weird Shroom Win User

Xbox One stuck on headset audio

Update: it now works with headset audio set to stereo uncompressed. Previously the TV sound went funky when I set it to that, now it works fine....but I'm still stuck in headset mode with no headset attached.
  6. johnchoi3 Win User

What is the sampling rate of Xbox One optical audio output ?

I got my 2 channel DAC connection to xbox one x via optical out. It only works when audio setting is set to stereo uncompressed. The sampling rate shows 48k.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X audio stuck at Stereo Uncompressed when connected to TV - Similar Threads - Series audio stuck

2. Audio latency with Steel Series Arctis Nova 7X Headphones

in XboX Insiders
    Audio latency with Steel Series Arctis Nova 7X Headphones: Just got the headphones and I’ve noticed a very poor audio delay with my games while using them. I’ve had wireless headphones from steel series prior to this pair but never encountered this issues...
  3. Series S 1tb Wired MS Audio Headphones No Power/Sound via USB A Sockets

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series S 1tb Wired MS Audio Headphones No Power/Sound via USB A Sockets: Hi Series S not Powering MS Wired Headphones connected to any of USB A sockets. Connected direct to. Series S Audio Setting re checked restarted Console Gen Audio testing/details Headset...
  4. Xbox series x audio issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x audio issues: I've had a Xbox series x since November 2023 and since day 1 there's been bits of popping in my headset whether it be in a game or watching YouTube or Netflix. I've gone through multiple headsets,...
  5. Headphone audio reversed on XBox Series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headphone audio reversed on XBox Series S: I own Steelseries Arctis 5 wired headphones, which work perfectly well with my Windows PC. I recently bought a new XBox Series S, and played a few games. I wasn't aware there was a problem until I...
  6. Is there any way to include mine and others party chat audio in game clips. Im on xbox series X

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Is there any way to include mine and others party chat audio in game clips. Im on xbox series X: Is there any way to include mine and others party chat audio in game clips. Im on xbox series X b58ffff7-5cd1-473c-8490-522e1b9dcab7
  7. Xbox series X Audio Crackling

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X Audio Crackling: My console's audio has been crackling First I noticed it if I tried to open the quick menu while in matches in For Honour, the audio would get slowwwwed and crackle awfully like it was a slowmo...
  8. Audio Stuttering on my Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Windows
    Audio Stuttering on my Xbox Series X: So, I have already read a few threads about their Xbox Series S and X having audio stuttering. With all the threads I have read, I have also tried the ideas that people have suggested to correct...
  9. I play on Xbox Series X and want game audio in headset.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I play on Xbox Series X and want game audio in headset.: I play on my Xbox Series X and I recently bought the Turtle Beach Recon Chat and while I can hear Xbox parties and fortnite voice channels, I can't hear any game audio so I was wondering if there...
  10. What is the best way to control my TV and audio receiver from my Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What is the best way to control my TV and audio receiver from my Xbox series X?: I currently have an Xbox series X. a few months ago's I upgraded from an Xbox One X. I have my video and audio going to my TV and then optical out going to my audio receiver. I used to be able to...