Xbox Series X and Samsung OLED eARC Sound Delay

Discus and support Xbox Series X and Samsung OLED eARC Sound Delay in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I saw a thread on this but it is currently locked even though some are still reporting this problem up to the end of 2023. I just got a new... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GreenHawk84, Jan 14, 2024.

1. GreenHawk84
    GreenHawk84 Guest

Hello, I saw a thread on this but it is currently locked even though some are still reporting this problem up to the end of 2023.

I just got a new Samsung S95C OLED, and I am definitely happy with the picture quality with Xbox Series X.

Unfortunately this setup suffers from audio lag over eARC and Optical output to my Yamaha RX-V485.

There are a couple things I find strange:

1. If I switch to the S95C TV speakers with Xbox Series X, the audio is very fast and synced with video as expected using Uncompressed Stereo in the Xbox options. When I switch to eARC on the S95C with pass-through, the S95C menu sounds are synced properly with the video, but when I back out to the Xbox Series X menu or games, the sounds are delayed after the video.
    2. The Playstation 5 can utilize eARC with the S95C pass-through and have perfectly synced audio. This appears to have 100% compatibility.

Here are some configuration details I have for the Xbox Series X/S95C:

• Directly connected to S95C One Connect Box via HDMI 1 (or HDMI 2, I tested both)
    • Pass-through eARC option on S95C enabled
    • Gaming Mode enabled on S95C manually (ALLM unchecked on Xbox) - Disabling game mode seems to make things better in terms of sound sync but everything is still lagged and slower from the controller press to the screen, and that would defeat the purpose of buying a premium HDTV for games.
    • VRR enabled and working on Xbox (disabling has no change to audio lag)
    • 120Hz selected in Xbox (also tried 60Hz, no change)
    • Stereo Uncompressed selected in Xbox (also tried Dolby options, no change)
    • Brand new HDMI 2.1 cable is used from S95C eARC output to Yamaha RX-V485 stereo (reminder that Playstation 5 is working 100%)

I am currently talking to Yamaha support on ruling out the stereo as the problem, which does not seem like it is with the testing done, and the fact that PS5 is using the same chain to the system and is fine. This seems like a compatibility issue between S95C eARC pass-through and the Xbox Series X.

:)

GreenHawk84, Jan 14, 2024
  2. Xiang Fish Win User

Dolby Atmos delay on Xbox Series X

Updated:

I found that my soundbar SONY HT Z9F soundbar use HDMI 2.0 of which bandwidth is 18gbs connect to my TV using eARC port, so I changes my HDMI to

8K HDMI of which soundbar is 48gbs, and the delay improve a lot that it is hard to notice now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tested. My set is

TV has enable eARC and set sound passthrough, HDMI BITSTREAM. XBOX SERIES allows PASSTHROUGH.

XBOX SERIES X --> LG 65 QNED90 --> SONY HT Z9F (eARC)

there is very noticeable delay on Atmos but don't have delay on any uncompressed sound like 5.1 or 7.1

XBOX SERIES X --> SONY HT Z9F (eARC) --> LG 65 QNED90

the atoms sound is sync with image, but I got a ton of delay on controller input, so I set TV image mode to Game Optimize,

and set game mode to FPS, the controller input delay is gone, but now, i got atoms delay back...

By the way, because my TV doesn't support DTS - X PASSTHROUGH, so when I connect XBOX to my soundbar, I could enable DTS X, and DTS X is working perfectly and there is no any delay comparing to Dolby Atmos.

Razer Blade 15 with RTX 2070 MAX Q --> LG 65 QNED90 --> SONY HT Z9F (eARC)

I don't have any input or atmos sound delay in this set.

So here is conclusion:

xbox series x has issue to passthrough Atmos content, even thought it is directly connect to sound bar, the sound or TV try to delay image to sync with atmos sound which causes a ton of input delay. But once you set the TV into low legacy input mode to get rid of input delay, the Atmos sound delay will be back.

And Razer blade 15 with RTX 2070 MAX Q which is PC is perfectly working at Atmos without any issue.

So this is definitely XBOX SERIES X ISSUE!!!!
  3. Geri M. Win User

Dolby Atmos audio delay or entirely missing on Xbox Series X via TV's eARC

Hello AnchelLabena,

We appreciate you for bringing this up to Xbox Forum.

We are sorry to hear that you’re experiencing audio delay when using Dolby Atmos for Home Cinema on your Xbox Series X with LG OLED C2 TV and Samsung Q950T Dolby Atmos soundbar.

We've found similar issues with LG OLED and LG Atmos soundbar (with rear speakers) and used an earc extractor (4k Dolby Atmos compatible) which completely solved the problem. You pass the audio HDMI earc out from the TV through the extractor and into the HDMI in of your sound bar.

Another user, states having delays using the Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos games and apps such as Youtube and Gears 5 but NOT from the Dolby Atmos app’s demos. The Xbox is connected directly to their LG BX TV via the HDMI 2.1 and using eARC > ARC on their Onkyo TX-NR656. The TV’s apps do not cause this delay using Atmos, and the Dolby App on the Xbox.

We also found an explanation from another that the delay exists because natively, surround audio from a gaming console is in LPCM. To output a bit streaming format (or in this case a proprietary PCM codec like DOLBY MAT 2.0) it has to re-encode the audio real-time which introduces delay. And keep in mind ONLY a very select few games are in Atmos.

It's good to know that connecting the Series X directly to the soundbar works just fine and Atmos content will play as intended with no delay. However, this causes a loss in other features such as VRR, 120 Hz and more due to the soundbar not supporting all HDMI 2.1 features.

We understand that you want to do the setup with the console connected directly to the TV, as should be intended. We hope that the information we provided is helpful.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community
  4. killkuter Win User

Another XSX Dolby Atmos sound delay post. . .

After a lot of test, to solve it i plug xbox on my lg cx with option sync AV arc bypass and activate earc with my denon 1600h.

If earc is off there is a big audio delay but my denon receive an atmos emulated (pcm) for all game, If earc on no delay atmos OK on halo, forza etc... But no atmos on ubisoft game same as farcry 6.

Ubisoft game not really atmos but a dolby 7.1 sound ?

My conclusion If xbox use dolby atmos emulation or no earc there is a delay, if earc activate no delay but only atmos with game compatible
  5. KMORE94 Win User

Xbox One X: Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) support

Thanks for the response. That’s along the lines of what I was thinking (the xbox not needing to support eARC). This would mean the current issue I am experiencing is caused by my TV not properly passing through the audio of the Xbox.

From what I’ve seen, the higher bandwidth of eARC is required to pass through full, uncompressed Dolby Atmos with no A/V sync issues. I am currently having an issue where the audio from the Xbox is lagging behind the video whenever I play a game with Dolby
    Atmos enabled. Ex: I fire a shot in Call of Duty and the sound has a delay. Just wondering if its my TV having a software issue or if its the Xbox.

My current console setup is:

Xbox plugged directly into my TV (2019 LG C9 OLED, which supports eARC and Dolby Atmos). All of the ports on the TV support HDMI 2.1 features (eARC, ALLM, VRR/FreeSync, etc...)

I have my sound bar (Sony Z9F, which also supports eARC and Dolby Atmos) plugged directly into the TV.

The Xbox and sound bar are both connected to the TV via Ultra High Speed HDMI cables that support eARC.
  6. CPT RAVE Win User

XBOX Series X Audio intermittent with A/V receiver

Hi Geri,

Yes, I have tried using eARC to loop the audio signal back into the receiver. And I still get the same result,

I would eventually lose audio. I do use HDMI 2.1 cable (2M).

To Recap v2:

Older Samsung TV and older Marantz SR7012 A/V receiver, new 8K HDMI Cables-Result-AUDIO LOSS

NEW LG OLED C2 TV and new Denon x4700H A/V receiver, newer 8K HDMI Cables-Result-AUDIO LOSS

eARC on both TV sets have been attempted and still have the same audio issues. HDMI 2.1 8K cables used

XBOX Series X multiple times Factory reset but kept games and apps.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X and Samsung OLED eARC Sound Delay - Similar Threads - Series Samsung OLED

2. Wireless display (xbox series s) won't work between my tablet samsung s6 lite and samsung s21+

in XBoX on Windows
    Wireless display (xbox series s) won't work between my tablet samsung s6 lite and samsung s21+: When i try to use smat view on the devices the app on the series s loads just a little bit and then stops. I don't know what to do 263c8077-b8b6-4253-97a4-464060b952d1
  3. Samsung HW-S60B soundbar connected to earc on Samsung qn90b with xbox series x dolby atmos...

in XboX Insiders
    Samsung HW-S60B soundbar connected to earc on Samsung qn90b with xbox series x dolby atmos...: If i just use the tv volume the dolby atmos works perfectly. As soon as i engage qsymphony, the awful audio lag comes back. Even when sound only goes thru soundbar.. same audio LAG is there. I’ve...
  4. Xbox Series X Random Black Screen with Samsung S95C

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Random Black Screen with Samsung S95C: Hello, This problem was first noticed while playing Mortal Kombat 1 on Xbox Series X with a Samsung S95C OLED. Randomly, the screen will go black, but then come back on within a few seconds in...
  5. My Xbox series s (1 tb) keeps disconnecting from my Samsung tv and going blank. Any ideas?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series s (1 tb) keeps disconnecting from my Samsung tv and going blank. Any ideas?: I’ve tried lowering the settings, changing hdmi cables, console reset, factory reset, and troubleshooting it. Nothing has worked and you wouldn’t expect this from a console only 3 months old and...
  6. What would cause my Series S to connect to my LG monitor but not my Samsung TV??

in XBoX on Consoles
    What would cause my Series S to connect to my LG monitor but not my Samsung TV??: My 4K Samsung TV is connecting to my PC, my PS5, and my Switch, but not my Xbox Series S. My Series S connects to my computer monitor, but not the TV. So what's going wrong here? I've tried...
  7. Is the Samsung odyssey AG320 LS24AG320NUXXU compatible with my Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the Samsung odyssey AG320 LS24AG320NUXXU compatible with my Xbox series s?: Is the Samsung odyssey AG320 LS24AG320NUXXU Monitor compatible with my Xbox series s? 09f605ff-fd8f-4988-9ef6-9965875bb2ac
  8. Xbox Series X 4K not working on Samsung Frame TV with AVR

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X 4K not working on Samsung Frame TV with AVR: Hi, I have a 2020 Samsung Frame TV, a Denon X3700H receiver, and an Xbox Series X, and I can’t get 4k to work with the Xbox. The Xbox detects that the TV supports 4K, but when I select 4K on it it...
  9. Hi just got a Samsung odyssey g3 monitor for my Xbox series x should I put freesync premium on

in XBoX on Windows
    Hi just got a Samsung odyssey g3 monitor for my Xbox series x should I put freesync premium on: Hi just got a Samsung odyssey g3 monitor for my Xbox series x should I put freesync premium on a9822800-bb8c-4ca0-ab25-e6248f93659e
  10. Xbox series X not connecting to Samsung TV

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X not connecting to Samsung TV: Hello, My Xbox series X which I only got about 6 months ago suddenly will not show display on my Samsung TV. It worked fine from purchase until today. I go to turn it on today and it turns on and...