XBOX Series S - Unable to load OSU1 after replacement hard drive

Discus and support XBOX Series S - Unable to load OSU1 after replacement hard drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi All, Can anyone assist? I have an old XBOX One Series S, which suffered a failure a year or so back. I decided to repair it recently - I replaced... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by James Freeman1, Aug 6, 2023.

1. XBOX Series S - Unable to load OSU1 after replacement hard drive

Hi All,

Can anyone assist? I have an old XBOX One Series S, which suffered a failure a year or so back. I decided to repair it recently - I replaced the hard drive with a 1TB SSD, because I thought that was the problem. The old HDD had failed anyway but that didn't fix the issue. Instead it turned out to be the HDMI Port was faulty. Sent it off, got it replaced and it works OK now.

However, I turn the XBOX on and I get errors with the boot up. So I downloaded the OSU1 update, threw it onto a USB dongle, and began many attempts to reload the OS. All have failed.

The process is as follows:

1. SSD Out and connected to PC.

2. Delete all Partitions

3. Create new NTFS Partition

4. Reconnect SSD to XBOX.

5. copy $SystemUpdate folder to the root of an NTFS USB drive

6. Boot into XBOX and see error code E100 or E101.

7. Troubleshoot

8. Complete offline update by USB

9. Leave the device for 24 hours

10. Device still not working, E100, E101 or E102 repeats, even after the 24 hour update process completes.

I have tried using the HDDMaster script to create the partitions, and let the XBOX create its own partitions. I have been unable to find any indication of a log, or any reason as to why it is failing.

I have been trying for a week to get this thing working correctly, but its the same pattern all day everyday. E100 > E101 > E102, or E100 > E102.

The SSD has been checked, SMART health is good, as it is also a new disk that has been tested, butterfly writes show less than 5ms r/w speeds. Checkdisk reveals no faults, bad sectors etc. I only have a 128GB disk left, but I am guessing the firmware is incompatible. I might need to purchase a replacement drive, but the drive health is good, and I don't think its the problem. I have now tried 6 different USB sticks to load the firmware onto, so it doesn't appear to be related.

XBOX plugged into ethernet to download updates if required.

Any ideas what might be going wrong.

last error code was E102 10070C02 8B060008

Now,

:)

James Freeman1, Aug 6, 2023
  2. Smwutches Win User

We cannot assist with self-repair.
  3. William Splawn Win User

Why will games not go to the download queue and download on my Xbox series s.

I did this last resort full reset. I was unable to download any of the games I own after this full reset. I assume that this means my Xbox series s’s hard drive is faulty. Am I right with this assumption?
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive?

It would just like to add that Series X|S games are developed to only use faster storage. Not only is this storage totally different to a mechanical hard drive, the way games are loaded is also different. In addition, the Xbox Series X|S hardware can leverage additional resources to load to games from internal SSD or external SSD's even faster, what Microsoft calls its Xbox 'Velocity Architecture'.

As previously stated, you're never going to be able load your Xbox Series X games from an external hard drive. They're just too slow.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

The new expansion card for Xbox Series X

Hi,

Current external hard drives are USB 3.0 5,400 RPM mechanical hard drives. These drives are very slow compared to the Expansion card. You won't be able to run Series X/S games from current external hard drives, not even the 2.5" external SSD drives either.
    But, you will be able to archive your Series X/S games to these drives to save downloading again.

The expansion card can run all compatible Xbox games. Which will be Series X/S, Xbox One and the BC Xbox 360 and original Xbox games on the BC list.

Xbox One and other Backwards compatible games will load a lot faster on either the internal storage or the expansion card than they would if you ran them off your external hard drive.

Microsoft has a video on YouTube showing 'The Outer Worlds' loading in just 11 seconds on a Series X/S SSD, compared to nearly 60 seconds on Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCX0n9Jci4
  6. HassanB Win User

Issues with formatting my hard drive

Hi Shapatti,

If your unable to format this hard drive completely and you are unable to delete the corrupted files after the fact this means that there is a problem with the console's hard drive and it would need to be exchanged (if a warranty is present), or replaced.

There's unfortunately no other way to completely format the hard drive officially except for in the console.
Thema:

1. XBOX Series S - Unable to load OSU1 after replacement hard drive - Similar Threads - Series Unable load

2. Unable to set up a warranty claim on elite series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to set up a warranty claim on elite series 2 controller: Purchased a Design Lab Elite Series 2 controller 6 months ago. It has a 1 year warranty. It has developed severe drift. Found a form online to request a controller exchange or something. It asks...
  3. Unable to update/reinstall Insider Hub (series x)

in XboX Insiders
    Unable to update/reinstall Insider Hub (series x): On Xbox Series X (console) I'm unable to install the latest version/update of Insiders Hub. After waiting around 15 minutes at 99% I power cycled and same issue. Uninstalled, rebooted, and tried...
  4. Xbox 360 unable to connect to live on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 unable to connect to live on Xbox Series X: All of the sudden I am unable to connect to Xbox live on reverse compatability games for the Xbox 360 on the Xbox Series X despite being online on the Xbox Series X, hard-wired, with an open NAT...
  5. Xbox Series X Error 8015190E - Unable to sign into Xbox live backwards compatible 360 games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Error 8015190E - Unable to sign into Xbox live backwards compatible 360 games: I've been getting a 8015190E error code within the past week when attempting to sign into a 360 backwards compatible game on my xbox series X. I attempted hard reseting my Xbox, changing my DNS...
  6. Xbox series X Unable to record gameplay since April 13 update

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series X Unable to record gameplay since April 13 update: I regularly record my gameplay for Youtube purposes, but since the weekend of April 13th i am no longer able to record gameplay. I can record 1 or 2x but after that the recording will instantly...
  7. I am unable to switch my Xbox Series X from IPv4 to IPv6 while using my college's wired...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am unable to switch my Xbox Series X from IPv4 to IPv6 while using my college's wired...: Before my spring break, my connection worked beautifully with little to no issues in my college dorm room. When I took my Xbox X back home for spring break it worked there to with little to no...
  8. Xbox series X unable to detect 5Ghz Wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X unable to detect 5Ghz Wifi: Hello, I just bought an Xbox Series X and I found out that i am unable to find 5Ghz under wifi. Ive read some forums i need to put Bandwith 40 or above and switching between Network Mode....
  9. Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network: Logged off the console last night everything was fine. This morning its unable to connect to the network. Tried doing a console reset (power cycle) and then tried a reboot. Now it wont load up as...
  10. Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2: Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Unable to Connect to PC The Issue When wired in using the USB-C cable that came with the brand-new controller, the Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 is not...