XBOX Series Controller gamepad for PC LED X-button White light is the reason for the...

Discus and support XBOX Series Controller gamepad for PC LED X-button White light is the reason for the... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; First, I never use vibration in games. So, everything said here is about the power consumption of the gamepad without using any vibration ever. I was... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Emmanouil Markoulakis, Nov 7, 2022.

1. XBOX Series Controller gamepad for PC LED X-button White light is the reason for the...

First, I never use vibration in games. So, everything said here is about the power consumption of the gamepad without using any vibration ever.

I was puzzled when I switched recently from Logitech 100hrs+ wireless controller PC gameplay to an XBOX series wireless gamepad which cut off the batteries life down to 40 hrs average. And this is not even using the power hungry Bluetooth wireless connection but the more moderate consumption XBOX wireless adapter on my PC.

Why?

Here is the problem by design IMHO:

In general a wireless gamepad circuit board during an active session during play normally consumes 25-40 mA electric current in average and during synching (initial connection with the PC or XBOX console) at the range of around 100 mA but this is only for a couple of seconds or less. So the important figure is the ACTIVE current during play which as I mentioned is about 25-40 mA. When the gamepad is ON but on STANDBY the circuit consumes 1mA at most.

But all the above is for gamepads that are not using a LED always turned ON when gamepad is on standby or active playing! For example an older XBOX 360 wireless controller as far as I know, had no light turned ON when the controller was active playing or on STANDBY and this controller had a much longer battery life.

The problem with the XBOX Series gamepads is that the XBOX light is always ON when the controller is turned ON!!

It is not just this very bright LED used all the time the problem, but more the type of the LED used. Normally a RED LED nominal operating current is no more than 5mA. However, MS decided to use a WHITE LED! White LEDs have a minimum operating current of 10mA and nominal recommended operating current of 20 mA!!

https://tinyurl.com/mm3u8m38

This added 20mA current will be added always during STANDBY of the gamepad and most importantly during active play rising the power drain of you batteries from 25-40mA range to the 45-60mA range cutting off at least 20hrs of gameplay.

The argument that then how you will know that your XBOX Series gamepad controller for PC is turned ON? Is easily solved. The button could just blink for few seconds and then switch off and when it is on standby the XBOX powers off anyway after 15 min. Also, if the user desires switching OFF the gamepad manually could be indicated by the LED turning ON for a few seconds and then fading away.

The other solution I suggest is keeping the same functionality but instead of a white LED light type to use a red or green LED light for the button that consumes far less for normal operation no more than 5mA.

There are consumers that don't like rechargeable batteries which by definition at 1.2V last even less than normal 1.5V alkaline batteries but also don't like to spend money for changing batteries almost every week which is not environmental friendly.

Finally, many users especially those who play in a complete dark room complain all the time that the gamepad light is blinding them all the time and reduces their gaming experience.

Making things even wrost MS does not give the option to XBOX Series controller gamepads PC owners to dim or or even switch OFF the LED via s/w (only Elite gamepad users).

MS please fix this!

Especially, today AAA games are having longer play-through time and is very upsetting to have to change batteries in the gamepad controller even twice to be able to finish the game.

Me, if this continues I will buy a new Logitech 710 wirelesses controller and have back my 100hrs continuous gameplay.

:)

Emmanouil Markoulakis, Nov 7, 2022
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema:

XBOX Series Controller gamepad for PC LED X-button White light is the reason for the...