Xbox overlay party chat issues

Discus and support Xbox overlay party chat issues in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I was just starting to play cod mw3 with my friend (me on PC and him on Xbox) I invite him to a party through the overlay (windows+G) when he joins we... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Zachary Gifford, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Xbox overlay party chat issues

I was just starting to play cod mw3 with my friend (me on PC and him on Xbox) I invite him to a party through the overlay (windows+G) when he joins we can hear each other just fine when the overlay is open and active on my screen. When I click off and the overlay is then hidden he can't hear me. As soon as I click windows+G he can hear me, no problem. I restarted my computer and tried again and it did the same thing. I tried trying different outputs and inputs. I could not get it to work. I've never had this particular issue with audio before. And ideas on what to try next?

:)

Zachary Gifford, Dec 5, 2023
  2. Nursemorph Win User

gamer tags appear on screen while using headset. Need help hiding them.

Are you in a party chat? If so, in the Xbox party chat settings, there is a overlay toggle which can switch the overlay on or off.

Outside of party chat, I am not entirely sure how it works with MWII (I assume that's what you are playing).
  3. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello Zachary Gifford,

Thank you for your contribution to the Microsoft community.

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft customer support. I understand that you are experiencing issues with Xbox overlay party chat. I will do my best to assist you. Just a reminder, we are not able to double check your account here manually since we do not have the option to. No worries, we do have some effective troubleshooting steps here that could fix the issue.

Based on the information you have provided; it seems that the issue might be related to the settings of the Xbox overlay. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check the audio settings in the Xbox overlay: Open the Xbox overlay by pressing Windows + G, click on the gear icon to open the settings, and make sure that the correct audio input and output devices are selected.

2. Check the audio settings in Windows: Right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, select "Open Sound settings," and make sure that the correct input and output devices are selected.

3. Update your audio drivers: Go to the website of your computer or audio device manufacturer and download the latest audio drivers for your device.

4. Reinstall the Xbox app: Go to the Start menu, right-click on the Xbox app, select "Uninstall," and then reinstall the app from the Microsoft Store.

If none of these steps work, please let me know and we can explore other options.

YanYannn
    Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello Zachary Gifford,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

5. Blueheart14 Win User

Did Microsoft change the party overlay to make it more to the corner of the screen?

It's the new update for the MK 2 operating system on Xbox one consoles the update you have noticed is a bug fix for the issues they have been having with party overlay and party chats
  6. darkist1 Win User

When is Call of Duty going to work?

Hi Trueno86,

Welcome to the forums, sorry you're experiencing these problems with the game.

This seems like a strange issue, but i have done a bit of research on this as its not happening to me on my Xbox one X and Xbox OG.

It appears to have something to do with the party chat, and specifically the Party chat overlay. There have been suggestions to turn the overlay off, or attempt to play without party chat.

But this error doesnt seem to be xbox specific as there are also PS and PC gamers also experiencing similar issues, which means its the game, and not the console.

If you're experiencing this same issue on all of your other games on your console, then the console may be damaged/faulty and may need a repair. If its only Call of Duty, then its clearly the game, and not the device.

Hopefully attempting to try the game without being in a party, or with having the party chat overlay off helps the problem for now till the fixes are applied to the game.
Thema:

1. Xbox overlay party chat issues - Similar Threads - overlay party chat

2. Xbox Game Bar Overlay Not Showing Up (I've tried everything)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Bar Overlay Not Showing Up (I've tried everything): For context, when I was playing a game I was using the game bar to talk with my friends in a party. I saw that there was an update available so I started to update it. When it was done the game...
  3. A random overlay just suddenly pops when I'm playing a game on Steam

in XBoX Games and Apps
    A random overlay just suddenly pops when I'm playing a game on Steam: [img] Hi. I have this sudden random overlay pops up on my screen when playing a game from Steam. I thought it was GPU Tweak at first but It wasn't, it wasn't NVIDIA, Steam also. How do you turn...
  4. Gamebar Party Chat stops working when overlay is closed

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gamebar Party Chat stops working when overlay is closed: Ever since the latest windows 11 update the Xbox gamebar is not working properly. Party chat only works when the overlay is on the screen. As soon as I close the overlay the other members of the...
  5. Voice Chat only works when Win+G overlay is up

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Voice Chat only works when Win+G overlay is up: So, ever since these 3 Xbox app and game bar updates this week, I can no longer talk in voice chat. I can hear everyone fine, game chat works fine, but xbox party chat on PC only lets me speak...
  6. Whenever I close the Game bar overlay nobody can hear me

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Whenever I close the Game bar overlay nobody can hear me: I recently updated xbox game bar on my pc and laptop. Right after doing this a problem occurred. Whenever I closed the xbox game overlay using Win + G nobody can hear me. I can't figure it out. I...
  7. Xbox party chat wont work unless game bar overlay is actively open

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox party chat wont work unless game bar overlay is actively open: need a fix asap, tryna play games and party wont work, ive tried everything i can find and nothing has worked. i just need a simple fix for windows 11 home version, i cannot access background apps...
  8. Party chat only works when party overlay is on (PC)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Party chat only works when party overlay is on (PC): So whenever I'm in a party I need to have the overlay on otherwise no body can hear me but i can hear them. Is there any fix please and thank you. c0f59417-8afd-4d47-a99f-f02ac0c19416
  9. Mic stops working in Xbox Game Bar party as soon as I close the overlay. Anyone know why...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Mic stops working in Xbox Game Bar party as soon as I close the overlay. Anyone know why...: ive tried everything i can please help Anyone know why this might be happening? Just started about 2-3 weeks go. Any other app works totally fine (in-game chats, Discord, Teams/Zoom, etc). I've...
  10. Mic stops working in Xbox Game Bar party as soon as I close the overlay.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Mic stops working in Xbox Game Bar party as soon as I close the overlay.: Anyone know why this might be happening? Just started about 2-3 weeks go. Any other app works totally fine (in-game chats, Discord, Teams/Zoom, etc). Windows fully updated, all apps updated....