Xbox outputting Stereo audio via HDMI/Optic while using Dolby Headset (Plantronics 800LX)

Discus and support Xbox outputting Stereo audio via HDMI/Optic while using Dolby Headset (Plantronics 800LX) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello Xbox support, I've posted this on Reddit already, but after a chat with Xbox support I'm posting this here. The reference from the chat was... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Gaaiz, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Gaaiz
    Gaaiz Guest

Xbox outputting Stereo audio via HDMI/Optic while using Dolby Headset (Plantronics 800LX)

Hello Xbox support,

I've posted this on Reddit already, but after a chat with Xbox support I'm posting this here. The reference from the chat was 1449985394:

I just bought the Plantronics RIG 800LX. I'm pretty happy with it, but yesterday I noticed a major disappointment. When the dongle is connected for the 800LX, the Xbox is outputting in Stereo via the HDMI and/or Optical output. Even when I turn the headset
    off the Xbox stays in the same state. Only when I unplug the USB "dongle" for the 800LX the audio settings are automatically reset to normal.

This issue does only occur when using the Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos option for the headset. I could turn the headset output to stereo, but that's not what I bought the headset for.

The thing is that you don't want to keep walking to your Xbox to plugin/unplug the dongle for your headset. The whole purpose of "wireless" is a bit down the drain like this. And if I leave it in, I won't be able to use the full potential of my 5.1 surround
    set when getting stereo input.

Is this a known issue, or do you guys know a workaround? I'm pretty surprised this is happening on a official Xbox headset. I would reckon the Xbox would switch to the default settings automatically when I turn the headset off. Especially since the dongle
    switches status (red led) when turning off the headset and could "report" the status.

:)

Gaaiz, Nov 26, 2018
  2. Xbox One Steaming with Gen 3 A50s

I have speaker audio as: HDMI audio - stereo uncompressed; Optical audio - Bitstream out; and Bitstream format - Dolby Digitial. My headset audio is: Headset format - stereo uncompressed.

ForsaknTemplar, Nov 26, 2018
  3. dazzlerazzle
    dazzlerazzle Guest
    Xbox One and turtle beach

"I like to play games and watch movies with an Astro surround-sound headset, which decodes Dolby 5.1 audio from an optical input cable. However, the Xbox One is currently only able to output stereo and DTS Digital through its optical output. My headphone
    receiver can't read DTS Digital, so I have to output in stereo, and my surround headphones turn into regular old headphones. I've been asking Microsoft for the last week if they intend to add Dolby output to the optical audio port in the near future (it's
    an option for HDMI output), but haven't gotten a solid answer on whether a fix is coming."

dazzlerazzle, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Sanana94
    Sanana94 Guest

Be sure to follow the instruction provided with the headset.

I have a TB elite pro + amp and basically the amp is connected via optical audio. For that one, I've selected Bitstream out > Dolby Digital.

After you have done this, you can also choose to do not stream audio via HDMI as far as I know.

Have you tried reaching out to the Plantronics support about this? It might be a configuration issue.

Sanana94, Nov 26, 2018
  5. Gaaiz
    Gaaiz Guest
    Hello Sanana94,

Yes, I've followed and double checked the instructions provided with the headset. In my case the headset is connected via the USB Dongle, and not via optical/HDMI. The Xbox states that the regular audio output will be adjusted for the headset until it is
    turned off/unplugged. So when the headset dongle via USB is connected, the Xbox adjusts the headset output to Dolby Atmos (or Windows Sonic) and optical/HDMI output to Stereo instead of Dolby.

However, my issue is that when I turn the headset off the Xbox still recognizes the USB dongle as a "headset". The dongle itself states with the "red led" that it is disconnected, but does not trigger anything to the Xbox so it "knows" that there is no active
    headset. Therefore the Xbox keeps the Stereo audio output via optical/HDMI. Which is not preferred because I like to watch Netflix via the Xbox and I am not always using my headset while gaming.

I haven't contacted Plantronics yet, but since this seems to be a Xbox software issue and it is a official Xbox headset I thought this would be the best place to start.

Gaaiz, Nov 27, 2018
  6. Sanana94
    Sanana94 Guest
    Honestly it seems that the headset is still sending a signal to Xbox. But it can be both sides, you did great reporting it here. Also use your built-in report tool from the console (Hold the xbox button on the controller) and report this issue, it might
    help the teams a lot Xbox outputting Stereo audio via HDMI/Optic while using Dolby Headset (Plantronics 800LX) :)

Sanana94, Nov 27, 2018
  7. Gaaiz
    Gaaiz Guest
    Thank you for your reply's. I'll do an extra report via the tool on the Xbox console.

I also think there still is a signal being sent to the Xbox, but from the Dongle and not from the Headset itself. The dongle seems to "confirm" being disconnected from the headset by turning red, but nothing changes on the Xbox Dashboard. Also, when connecting
    the dongle while the Headset is turned off, the Xbox immediately reports "Headset assigned" and the audio settings change.

Gaaiz, Nov 27, 2018
  8. XBF Brad A
    XBF Brad A Guest

Hello Gaaiz,

The console is still reading it as a headset, due to the USB Dongle is still plugged in to the console, even though the dongle is turned off. As for the Official Xbox headset they are a third party headset not a first party. They are usable on the Xbox but
    not an official product of Xbox. Official are the Xbox one chat headset and Xbox one Stereo Headset made by Microsoft. As Sanana stated you could get with the manufacturers and see what options they have for configuration of the headset.

Thanks,

Brad

XBF Brad A, Nov 27, 2018
  9. Gaaiz
    Gaaiz Guest
    Hello Brad,

I've contacted the Plantronics support and got the reply below. Can you confirm with Microsoft tech support if the 800LX USB Dongle could manage to send a "message" to the Xbox that the headset is disconnected? If so, I can get back in contact with them.
    Or maybe it does send a "message" to the Xbox (the led is turning red so..) and the Xbox does not handle the message?

Dear ****,

Thank you for contacting Plantronics Customer Care.

We would like to inform you that our experts have looked into your issue and according to them we cannot change how the xbox manage the different audio sources connected to it. If it requires the USB dongle to be unplugged in order for the Xbox machine
    to be able to output surround via HDMI then that is how the Xbox operates, so we cannot change this.

The case number for your reference is 06932171. If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards

Technical Support

Gaaiz, Nov 30, 2018
  10. Hi there Gaaiz,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the compatibility of the Plantronics 800LX. I did
    find some information regarding the headset. Are you using the Plantronics Rig 800LX?
    If so,
    The Rig 800LX connects wirelessly to both Xbox One and PC via square-shaped USB transmitter and is enabled through the Dolby
    Access App
    on Xbox One.

I recommend taking a look at the following troubleshooting articles:

Hope this helps.

XBF Crystal P, Nov 6, 2018
  11. Gaaiz Win User

Hello Sanana94,

Yes, I've followed and double checked the instructions provided with the headset. In my case the headset is connected via the USB Dongle, and not via optical/HDMI. The Xbox states that the regular audio output will be adjusted for the headset until it is
    turned off/unplugged. So when the headset dongle via USB is connected, the Xbox adjusts the headset output to Dolby Atmos (or Windows Sonic) and optical/HDMI output to Stereo instead of Dolby.

However, my issue is that when I turn the headset off the Xbox still recognizes the USB dongle as a "headset". The dongle itself states with the "red led" that it is disconnected, but does not trigger anything to the Xbox so it "knows" that there is no active
    headset. Therefore the Xbox keeps the Stereo audio output via optical/HDMI. Which is not preferred because I like to watch Netflix via the Xbox and I am not always using my headset while gaming.

I haven't contacted Plantronics yet, but since this seems to be a Xbox software issue and it is a official Xbox headset I thought this would be the best place to start.
  12. Sanana94 Win User

Be sure to follow the instruction provided with the headset.

I have a TB elite pro + amp and basically the amp is connected via optical audio. For that one, I've selected Bitstream out > Dolby Digital.

After you have done this, you can also choose to do not stream audio via HDMI as far as I know.

Have you tried reaching out to the Plantronics support about this? It might be a configuration issue.
  13. Gaaiz Win User

Thank you for your reply's. I'll do an extra report via the tool on the Xbox console.

I also think there still is a signal being sent to the Xbox, but from the Dongle and not from the Headset itself. The dongle seems to "confirm" being disconnected from the headset by turning red, but nothing changes on the Xbox Dashboard. Also, when connecting
    the dongle while the Headset is turned off, the Xbox immediately reports "Headset assigned" and the audio settings change.
  14. Gaaiz Win User

Hello Brad,

I've contacted the Plantronics support and got the reply below. Can you confirm with Microsoft tech support if the 800LX USB Dongle could manage to send a "message" to the Xbox that the headset is disconnected? If so, I can get back in contact with them.
    Or maybe it does send a "message" to the Xbox (the led is turning red so..) and the Xbox does not handle the message?

Dear ****,

Thank you for contacting Plantronics Customer Care.

We would like to inform you that our experts have looked into your issue and according to them we cannot change how the xbox manage the different audio sources connected to it. If it requires the USB dongle to be unplugged in order for the Xbox machine
    to be able to output surround via HDMI then that is how the Xbox operates, so we cannot change this.

The case number for your reference is 06932171. If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards

Technical Support
  15. XBF Brad A Win User

Hello Gaaiz,

The console is still reading it as a headset, due to the USB Dongle is still plugged in to the console, even though the dongle is turned off. As for the Official Xbox headset they are a third party headset not a first party. They are usable on the Xbox but
    not an official product of Xbox. Official are the Xbox one chat headset and Xbox one Stereo Headset made by Microsoft. As Sanana stated you could get with the manufacturers and see what options they have for configuration of the headset.

Thanks,

Brad
Thema:

1. Xbox outputting Stereo audio via HDMI/Optic while using Dolby Headset (Plantronics 800LX) - Similar Threads - outputting Stereo audio

2. How to make my Bluetooth headphones be recognized as an output device?

in XBoX on Windows
    How to make my Bluetooth headphones be recognized as an output device?: Hey there, I have Sony WH-CH700s and this problem just now started. When my laptop is connected by HDMI to another monitor, my headphones sort of flicker in and out of recognition as a sound...
  3. DTS and DTS:X output in stereo

in XBoX on Consoles
    DTS and DTS:X output in stereo: Most recent Xbox One X software update 10.0.22000.4970 broke DTS. Dolby Digital and Atmos outputs multichannel on audio video receiver. However, DTS and DTS:X outputs in stereo. Reinstalled DTS...
  4. XBox Wireless Headset on PC Can't Use Mic and Output Stereo Audio at the Same Time

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox Wireless Headset on PC Can't Use Mic and Output Stereo Audio at the Same Time: I've seen that other people have had this problem in the past, but can't see if there's been a fix anywhere. I'm using windows 10, and every time I open Discord or an application starts using the...
  5. Missing stereo output from MS Headset in Xbox Windows app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Missing stereo output from MS Headset in Xbox Windows app: Hi All I use this headphones https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/d/bezprzewodowy-zestaw-s%C5%82uchawkowy-do-konsoli-xbox/8z1dcql8z512?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab with my windows 10 laptop When...
  6. Audio Output Bug playing music, Happens every time with Stereo Uncompressed

in XboX Insiders
    Audio Output Bug playing music, Happens every time with Stereo Uncompressed: I tested this with Spotify and Pandora. Simply just plugging in my headset to the controller and then opening the Guide causes the music volume to boost x10. Moving the volume slider just once...
  7. Audio output changes from bitstream to stereo

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio output changes from bitstream to stereo: I got my One S hooked up to Marantz AV-receiver with Atmos support. If I set audio output to HDMI, bitstream, and Atmos the sound works as it's supposed to. Problem is, every now and then Xbox...
  8. TV Tuner Stereo output only?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    TV Tuner Stereo output only?: Hi, Just wondering if it's possible to get the usb tv tuner to output 5.1 sound from hd channels? Can't figure out if there are any settings I'm missing... Thanks!...
  9. Where can I find 'Output Specs'(impedance ect.) for Xbox One stereo headphones

in XBoX on Consoles
    Where can I find 'Output Specs'(impedance ect.) for Xbox One stereo headphones: I looked in several places, I've contacted Xbox too, I want to know what the Factory Output Specifications are on the Xbox One Stereo Headphones. The model # on the box is: #1610,1626. I don't...
  10. No sound via Optics output in Bitstream, Only Stereo

in XBoX on Consoles
    No sound via Optics output in Bitstream, Only Stereo: Hello, since the beginning, no trouble ... But today, i have no sound. I'm connect direct from my Xbox One to my receiver in fiber optics. When i go in setting and change from Bitstream to...