Xbox One S - Certain Blu Rays won't play

Discus and support Xbox One S - Certain Blu Rays won't play in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've been having trouble with certain blu rays for a while now and it's really starting to annoy me, as I bought the Xbox specifically to play 4k blu... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Wrayman89, May 14, 2020.

1. Wrayman89
    Wrayman89 Guest

I've been having trouble with certain blu rays for a while now and it's really starting to annoy me, as I bought the Xbox specifically to play 4k blu rays and it's much quieter than the PS4 for general movie watching anyway.

SO, I recently bought JoJo Rabbit (great movie) but it only gets as far as the 20th Century Fox intro then it stops working. Funny thing is it works fine in the PS4 and on my PC. Other Blu Rays work fine in the Xbox such as my calibration disk and Star Wars:
    Rise of Skywalker. I'm convinced it's a software issue with Xbox's blu ray app. I've reset my console and power-cycled it with no luck, it still fails every time. It's like the Xbox doesn't know how to handle the blu ray menu or something because on the other
    movies it fails to play it always fails at the point where the blu ray menu would appear.

FYI I've also tried the trick where you hold the disk for a few seconds before it drags it in but also to no avail, and game disks work perfectly fine too.

Any help appreciated!

Kind regards,

Andy

:)

Wrayman89, May 14, 2020
  2. Wrayman89 Win User

I have the app fully updated, reset the console to default settings, cleared the blu ray app data, let the disc auto-play, played the disc manually, set the blu ray app to not remember the last played position, etc.

It just refuses to play certain blu rays, anybody else have Jojo Rabbit on blu ray and able to confirm the problem?
  3. Cryptic Loner Win User

Do check if your Blu-ray app on your Xbox needs any update. Also when you put the disc into your console, try letting it auto play itself first. If that doesn't work, just click the icon of the disc soon as you put it in. Small differences sometimes make
    game changing moves.

It is a strange problem. Check through the blu-ray settings in your console, see if there's anything you can point out and alter to make the disc play through the whole sequence on your console.

I hope this helps.
  4. luissolid Win User

Blue Ray DVD Player

Hello!

No, right now you can't attach and use any external DVD/Blu-ray Player.

The Xbox One S have a Internal DVD/Blu-ray Player. If you have the Xbox One S All Digital you won't have a option ti use Disc only digital media.

Regards!
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One S is not playing certain DVDs

I take it Blu-Ray disc movies are working okay? Have you tried many of the ones you own? Games are detected?

Bear in mind that the Xbox One S, One X and the current Series X actually have two lasers, one for reading DVD discs (including Xbox 360 discs) and one for reading Blu-Ray discs, which also includes Xbox games as they are also on BD-Disc.

If the DVD laser is giving out, it won't read certain DVD discs, and this is likely the reason for the issues you are experiencing. This is also why Blu-Rays and Xbox One games are not effected. There is nothing wrong with your DVD's, it's the console's optical drive that is faulty.
  6. Internet Expert Win User

up scale standard blu ray?

"Ultra HD" Blu-Rays will play in 4K. Standard Blu-Rays will play in 1080p.

The Xbox One S will only output to the highest resolution offered by the Blu-Ray disc it plays.

I suppose this design choice was in mind because 4K/UHD-TVs already process and upscale a lower resolution image to "cleanly" use all of the 3840x2160 pixels, so it's not putting unnecessary load on the Xbox One S CPU.
Thema:

1. Xbox One S - Certain Blu Rays won't play - Similar Threads - Certain Blu Rays

2. Can I share my online status to certain people on my friends list

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can I share my online status to certain people on my friends list: I only want to appear online to only 2 of my friends on my friends list without blocking them how do I do it. If not possible I would like suggest this idea. 09caca8a-b118-49d8-baaa-5f8bf5fb2c9e
  3. I have a series x console and when trying to download certain games it gives me an error...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a series x console and when trying to download certain games it gives me an error...: Trying to download the finals and my console say this game is not compatible 3296876e-7797-40e6-9cff-de265ad1386e
  4. Series X only playing certain Blu Ray discs

in XBoX on Windows
    Series X only playing certain Blu Ray discs: I am talking specifically about a brand new blu ray box set of The Pacific. Discs 1,3 and 5 work ok but discs 2 and 3 dont,i load in the disc,the screen goes black and stays black....nothing. Ive...
  5. Certain Blu-rays crashing Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Windows
    Certain Blu-rays crashing Xbox Series X: So I’ve encountered a few Blu-rays that worked on the Xbox One X but crash when trying to play on Series X. Doctor Who series 7 part 1 and part 2 discs crash after the BBC logo the console just...
  6. Playback issues with certain Blu Ray discs on XBox One X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Playback issues with certain Blu Ray discs on XBox One X?: I’ve had an XBox One for several years now and haven’t had any issues with the blu ray player until now. I bought a set of Star Wars blu rays recently. All the discs play fine except for one;...
  7. Xbox Series X won't play certain Blu-Ray Discs.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X won't play certain Blu-Ray Discs.: So I just got this Cowboy Bebop Collector's Edition which features the entire series on both DVD & Blu-Ray, and also the full soundtrack on CD. And even though all CDs & DVDs work fine, and other...
  8. Xbox One S only plays certain blu rays

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One S only plays certain blu rays: I bought an Xbox one a few weeks ago and have noticed that some of my blu rays will not play on the system. When I put the disc in I get the general blu ray disc warning such as dont copy the...
  9. Blu ray player wont play certain discs

in XBoX on Consoles
    Blu ray player wont play certain discs: Hi my drive just wont play some of my br discs.....ive re installed ....hard reset....and cleaned discs.....still refuses to play... and yes they r for my region....help please......
  10. Xbox One won't play certain Blu Ray Discs (Die Hard, atleast)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One won't play certain Blu Ray Discs (Die Hard, atleast): Hello all, I recently purchased the Die Hard collection on amazon. Got it today, and it won't play on my Xbox One. I put the disc into the drive, and it spins over and over. According to the...